not 16:9

use mediainfo tree view

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

i do not want to change that AR or resolution
      You will HAVE to change the resolution in order to keep the AR.
      As I mentioned earlier,the DVD is using a non-square pixel(so that 720 x pixel width :576 x pixel height =16:9). But your AVI uses square pixels. So the resolution must have a 16:9 ratio i.e 640 x 360. If you keep the original resolution of 720 x 576 then the AR gets messed up.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• soffpro
        • Sep 2007

ah...

cheers folks - this is beginning to make sense now - thanks paglamon for the explanation - the file details are what i mentioned and i have checked the details in VD and Vegas they say the same , so you obviously have the explanation. i will go back over what you suggested.

is mediainfo a software package? and will this adjustment result in an inferior copy of the film at full screen size? cheers - K

Comment

• soffpro
          • Sep 2007

pardon my ignorance

you say 720x576 is 4:3??? why does it fill the widescreen monitor and look right with text etc? when it appears in 4:3 all the text and image is squashed. this is because of the oblong pixels being reduced to square pixels presumably?

the original footage was shot in HD but the editor at that time converted it down to save memory on his computer. all i want is to get the film looking right when it plays video in widescreen 16:9 and to be able to edit it in that AR (incidentally, Vegas pro does monitor it in this AR until i select the external monitor then it squashes up. i am fighting with the original AR / the editing software project settings / the monitor settings and the rendering settings. and these inconsistencies are duplicated with each program i use (vegas pro6 / premier pro7 / vdub / win movie maker / nero vision express2).

the only way i can properly monitor the output is to burn a file to dvd then play it on a player. current avi files burned in nero do not play at full screen on dvd player but mpeg files obviously do. i am totally confused by all these settings when all i want to do is see it in it's right resolution and AR edit in this as well as know what to render to. uuuuuuuurgh!

i cannot find any re-size command in VDub. pardon my ignorance i am fairly new to video but i'm not thick. surely the problem is in how the editor rendered the footage that has caused this problem. we have had a professional in to help who shook his head too.

latest stage is this:
          resorted to using uncompressed avi files from dvd mpegs made in uncompressed format through Vdub. how do i monitor and edit in same AR then render in same to play at widescreen with no borders without having to reduce the resolution and crop??? also, how come the avi files take up so much memory (nrly 70gbs!) when the film is only 50mins long and the mpegs take up 1.28gb.

would the easier option be to get the mpeg plug-ins for premier and vegas and any ideas where?

if i can't get an easy solution i'll have to let the project go but i've been doing it for a friend as a labour of love; i was involved in the shoot, which was all done by volunteers and i'm keen to re-edit it. it has generated a lot of press and publicity since it's original showings. it is called Valerie's Orchard about an eighty-yr-old holocaust survivor who my friend (a christian) met. it is in the archives of Yad Vashem memorial museum, Jerusalem and has been covered by the Jewish Telegraph and Chronicle. we want to get a re-edited and second edition with extras out by October. the changes will take very little time to do if i can crack this problem. a 40 acre sight commemorating Valerie and other survivors has been donated in the Negev desert and already 1000 olive trees planted as a direct result of this film. www.valeriesorchard.org

just thought it'd be interesting for you to know what you're helping with. cheers. K

sorry if i can't see the answer or the penny just hasn't dropped yet. sure i'll get there.

Comment

• soffpro
            • Sep 2007

i'm not doing too bad since this was thrust upon me three weeks ago. i am a pro-audio composer/producer but i have had to learn relevant aspects of these video software packages and editing techniques on the fly. incidentally, i have a lot of other coverters including the extensive K-Lite codec pack - any of this useful???

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

Mediainfo.
              i cannot find any re-size command in VDub
              Open ur DVD in VirtualdubMPEG2
              Now under Video select Full Processing Mode.Select Compression and here select the XviD codec.Configure it with a bitrate of around 1200.Now select Filters.In Filters select ADD.Here u will find a list of filters including Resize.Select it and configure it so that the resolution matches the AR of the original DVD(which u have detected using Mediainfo).
              Next Select Audio and Full Processing Mode.Under Compression select Lame MP3.(You can find it here).Select the audio sample rate(224 kbps/stereo should be OK).
              Then File/Save avi.

BTW,there is AutoGK which will do all this automatically.You can try it.
              Last edited by paglamon; 11 Sep 2007, 04:00 AM.
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

Working...