• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ander
    JustAnotherDude
    • Sep 2002

Jump points?

Hi guys,

I'm using VirtualDub & XviD to encode some family videos I've copied from videotape. When I play the discs on our (DivX/Xvid-compatible) hardware player, I can fast-forward and -reverse, but the Next and Previous buttons have no effect.

I thought Xvid automatically inserted chapter markers when it sensed scene changes—but obviously that's not true.

So how do you insert them? I don't need to associate them with actual scene changes; I'd just like a way to jump forward or backward a few minutes... Is there a way to automatically add them at those intervals?

Thanks, and pardon my ignorance, Ander
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

No, you cannot. AVI do not support chapters.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Ander
      JustAnotherDude
      • Sep 2002

Well, okay. I'm a bit disappointed that we can't even jump to a specified time in the file, either—on the hardware player, that is. But I guess AVI is more of a PC format, and the hardware AVI playback is an extra feature, not the main feature, right?

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I haven't tried this tool myself yet but if you have a Divx Ultra certified player I've heard you can author .divx with menu and chapter support using DivX Media Builder:

Comment

Working...