• Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

convertxtodvd question?

hi,
    new to encoding all these avi/xvid/divx etc files.

I have done about a dozen conversions and pretty pleased with results but,

after encoding and burning I sometimes get that fast motion bluring or what they call the ribbon cutting effect around faces.. kind of a shredded look I guess.
    pixels get wild and crazy...

I do know that sometimes it is the source video before I encoded that can be the problem..
    Also have learned to close programs and not use the pc during encoding...
    I burn slow and use verbatim media.
    Convertxtodvd does not have a 2 pass encoding .
    just high, medium, and low which btw I have read on the forums that many times using high[for best] is not always the way to go for some technical reasons I'm not familiar with..
    anyways,
    I would like to hear from those who use this software
    and know how to adjust for the [shreddies?] and always open to suggestions of better encoder utilities also.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

what they call the ribbon cutting effect around faces.. kind of a shredded look I guess.
    You are probably talking about "interlacing". Try to see if you can find an option in ConvertXtoDVD to "deinterlace" while encoding.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I haven't used ConvertX for a long time but from what I understand it should work with AviSynth scripts. You might find something here to dejag or unblock or decomb or deinterlace:

Main Page,Advanced Scripting Tips,Advanced topics,Arrays,Aspect ratios,AviSynth FAQ,AviSynth Syntax,AviSynth v3,Avisynth Plugin Development in C,Block statements,Changelist

Comment

• rago88
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Aug 2005

ya know,
        I mentioned that I have learned to NOT be surfing the web or doing other cpu intensive things when encoding but that's not to say I never did.

I do remember doing some things while encoding and I saw the progress slow down somewhat on converx so I'm wondering if I caused some interlacing or bumps in the road by doing things during encoding...

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Try AviDemux freeware. Slice off a test piece and encode it. See what you get. I'm no expert on all that motion and deblocking stuff. All I know is I had a piece of video with horrid jaggies whenever anyone moved laterally in the video. It was unwatchable. I stuck a couple of lines in the .avs script using some decombing filter(a few years ago so I don't even remember which filter now) and the jaggies were greatly reduced. On stuff like that you can usually do a lot with filters if you know the right one to use.

Comment

• rago88
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Aug 2005

well,
            I have encoded approx a dozen xvid/avi's to dvd format since I last posted...

As long as I close any open programs and refrain from doing any web surfing, all video's came out excellent..

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by rago88
              well,
              I have encoded approx a dozen xvid/avi's to dvd format since I last posted...

As long as I close any open programs and refrain from doing any web surfing, all video's came out excellent..
              There can be timing issues depending how the program(s) are coded. For instance if the programmer is using a circular buffer everything may work fine while the program is in the foreground(the programmer is testing so that's likely to be in the foreground almost 100% of the time) but if you put it in the background, the priority changes so the buffer handling thread may not keep up and stuff in the buffer may be overwritten or corrupted. It seems like it shouldn't matter but unless the program has really been bullet-proofed to run in background, it probably does.

Comment

Working...