Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndreL
    • Jun 2006

Min file size with quality file size

I got TMPEGEnc and I'm trying to encode a filt to MPEG format but when I do it at the defualt settings I'm ending up with a file 4GB+ and I'm trying to shrink it to about 1 or 2 CD size around 699MB *in size to keep the quality in the video. I just installed the program and have no idea how to config the output on the out put stream format. Need help on whats what and mainly how to lower my file settings.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

There's an excellent free tool called FitCD. Half way down the thread at this link is a mini-guide: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic296341.html

Basically after you load in your source, on the lower right is a drop-down for the kind of output. VCD, SVCD, DVD etc.. When you make your selections it generates an AviSynth script. You don't need to know how to use AviSynth, just make sure the latest version is installed on your system. Instead of loading the .avi or other source file into TMPGEnc, you select the AviSynth script (usually with extension .avs) and it reads in all the settings including the name of the video file.

With this little program you can also do stuff like take a letterboxed source and convert it to 16x9 widescreen anamorphic.. so it's definitely something to keep in your toolbox.

The same site with that mini-guide has download for both FitCD and AviSynth just search the Tools list.

edit: btw if you want to put the output on 2 SVCD as example, you can use AviDemux to cut the .avi input file in half. Then feed each half into FitCD to get your calculations.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 13 Aug 2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• AndreL
      • Jun 2006

I've read tmpegenc was the best so its not the best for encoding dvd's to mpgs.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by AndreL
        I've read tmpegenc was the best so its not the best for encoding dvd's to mpgs.
        TMPGEnc Plus was notable for it's time. Now though it uses too much CPU for what it does compared to newer encoders. One of the best you can get is HC Enc and it's free. Most apps that use it have the profile set for DVD output. You can try this app to select output by file size:

Comment

Working...