AC3 + S/PDIF + External Receiver = weird problem (not what you're thinking!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enc0der
    • Nov 2003

AC3 + S/PDIF + External Receiver = weird problem (not what you're thinking!)

Hey !
    I have a pretty weird problem with AC3 sound...

I'm using WinXP + Audigy 2.
    When trying to play DivX/XviD movies with AC3 sound (100% "real" files), with the S/PDIF output on my Audigy 2 (to the COAX IN on my YAMAHA RX-V430 Receiver) I'm getting Dolby Digital and all the 5.1 channels are "active" on the receiver, but the sound is 'FLICKERING' !

The receiver is changing from "PCM" to DolbyDigital, and sends sound to all 5.1 channels... but every few seconds there's a "mute" in the sound..

On these "mute moments", and receiver is still staying on DolbyDigital mode (!), and not going back to PCM (and it does go back to PCM for a half-second when I'm moving to another possition on the movie, and there's a pause for half-second), so that makes me believe that these flickers are "mute sound" and not "no sound", if that matters...

I'm using a mono-rca -> mono-miniplug cable (and also tried to use a stereo rca -> stereo miniplug cable, and connect only one rca output to the receiver = same results) to connect the S/PDIF output on the Audigy 2 to my receiver.

I tried every possible player (WMP 8, WMP 6.4, BSPlayer, MV2Player, WinDVD, PowerDVD....) and every possible AC3 Filter (ac3filter all versions, InterVideo, Cyberlink.. - all gave me the same extact problem.

The same problem is happening with trying to play .VOB files (like these DolbyDigital-Test-files, DTS showoff, etc).

PC Specs:

ASUS A7V133
    AMD T-Bird 1Ghz
    512MB sdram
    Audigy 2 (OEM) + newest drivers
    Windows XP

here you can get a file which contains A RECORDING OF THE SOUND which I get from the receiver. this will help you understand exactly what this flickers are...

thank you very much for your help,

Omri.
Working...