Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigmannie
    • Aug 2006

no video on AVI file

I'm trying to play an AVI file I downloaded with Bittorrent. It is one of two episodes and one plays o.k. but this one has only audio, no video. I tried Windows Media player 9 and 10, Realplayer, VLC, none of them work. Video Inspector tells me, I'm missing the DIB full Frames Codec but there are no downloads available on any of the libraries I checked i.e. Afreecodec. Someone suggested VirtualDubMode, tried it, but it won't open the file. Does anyone know hoe to fix this problem?
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

Sounds kinda like RAW RGB in which case it should decode fine. Would also mean that it is fake since no one would distribute RGB avi's. Also if it is an avi, then VDubMod should definatly open it.

Comment

• bigmannie
      • Aug 2006

I'm not as savy as all that, all I know is that this file looks identical to the one that plays and they both have an AVI extension, but the one in question definitely doesn't open in VdubMod. There is one difference however that I can see in properties : The file that plays has a bitrate of 128 kbps, the one that doesn't play has a bitrate of 1.41Mbps. Does that help?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

safe to say that if VLC doesn't play it, nothing will; sounds like a fake file, you get what you pay for
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• j00l3d
          • Aug 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
          safe to say that if VLC doesn't play it, nothing will; sounds like a fake file, you get what you pay for
          true that. otherwise, you might want to update your codecs. try searching for ffdshow, nic's xvid, and divx codecs. that should do the trick

Comment

Working...