• Show
Clear All
  • O-pos
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2005

Newer versions of ffdshow can't be install

Hi!

After reinstalling Win98 SE on my computer, I can install only old ffdshow (2005 or older), because newer ones don't install. While installing I get the message "couldn't register ffdshow.ax" and then the installation stops. There are some ffdshows which install but after I try to open video file, I get the message "program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". What should I do? I'd stick with older ffdshow, but it can't open some new fideo files. Maybe certain program compoment is missng? However, DirectX is the latest.

Any suggestions?

O_pos
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

I can only tell you about my experience with the same problem a while ago. I have Net Defense Firewall with System Suite 5 & what I found out was that the firewall was interfering. So after I downloaded the update & saved in My Installs folder, I then disabled my firewall & installed to my c: drive program files.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and try again
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• O-pos
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2005

I'll try and will get back to you

Thanks

Comment

• O-pos
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2005

I tried with Microsoft Visual C++ but it doesns't work, the same problem with ffdshow.ax - either "couldn't register ffdshow.ax", org after installation or "program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"-when I clock on details, again "ffdshow.ax has requested that.. "

Maybe Microsoft Visual C++ didn't install well? I have an impression that it's just extracting somewhere instead of installing (like it's the case with directX), the installer disappears automatically at the end and I can't find where the files did go.

I have no firewall or other defence system except Antivir

Any suggestions?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

get the latest build from http://x264.nl

IIRC certain builds had a dependency on msvcr71.dll, guess you could download and copy into your sys32 dir

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

Easy enough to check what dependancies a file has. Is anyone doing builds with MSVC 7.1? Mix of ICL9.1, gcc and MSVC 2005 I would think. You might want to try a build from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout

Also don't use SSE2. etc. builds if your CPU doesn't support it.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

Is anyone doing builds with MSVC 7.1?
                FFDShow 2006-09-01 (rev. 2546) MMX* was compiled by clsid using MSVC 7.1 (ffdshow.ax, etc)
                FFDShow 1.3.4534 x64 : FFDShow is a powerful codec pack that enhances your multimedia experience by providing support for a wide range of audio and video formats.

Comment

• O-pos
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2005

I don't understand any word from that what you said but still, first of all what I did was that I checked x264.nl and fre-codecs.com ffdshows, but it doesn't change anything. I don't know what is build, but I'll try out.

I also kept old file ffdshow.ax and after installing newer version of ffdshow, I replaced the ffdshow.ax file with old one, and then some video files really worked, but with the others pmc reported problem with other ffdshow file, but not .ax

Comment

• O-pos
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

Well, I've solved it :

I tried ffdshows from celtic druid's link http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout and that file:

<TABLE id=frelease cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary="Latest file listings for the Gaim project" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>ffdshow: clsid builds</TD><TD>generic builds</TD><TD>September 11, 2006</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

worked well and solved every problem.

Could you tell me what was the problem? I presume it has something to do with the ending "clsid", but I don't know more

So Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

O-pos

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

Could you tell me what was the problem?
                      probably

Also don't use SSE2. etc. builds if your CPU doesn't support it.

Comment

• celtic_druid
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Dec 2005

clsid is the person who compiled the builds. More important would be "generic" which means SSE/SSE2 are not required. Also there was an update to the installer recently to do with runtime dependencies.

Comment

• O-pos
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Dec 2005

Thanks for your answer. Maybe that's the right answer, because no SSE worked on my old machine..

Thanks again

Comment

Working...