X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muesli_addict
    • Aug 2003

xvid.ax crashes windows explorer

Hi

I have xvid codec installed on my machine ( win xp prosp1 all critical upd). The xvid vers is nic's CVS 16/07/03. The problem is that whilst browsing to a folder which contains .avi files ( xvid coded) windows explorer crashes , blaming xvid.ax. De-installing this cures the problem. I don't like to use the ffdshow libavcodec( looks crap on my system), any ideas - is there a better xvid build?
    Ive had the problem for a while , cannot say for sure if started directly after the installation of xvid or maybe some win xp component..My GF accused me of trashing the system with a virus!!

Cheers
  • Kryalis
    • Nov 2003

I just hit this problem myself, and I didn't have it yesterday.

I think it's related to one of the recent "Critical Updates" for Windows Media Player 9. Since I did a load of those yesterday.

Since I have another machine that has WMP 8 on it with the same codecs installed and it doesn't have this problem.

I have this problem with "Ogm" files with Xvid videos in them, so if it's the same with AVI's then the problem probably we can rule out the 'package' as a problem.

It isn't however all of my files. Only a few.

Not that it helps much but the xvid error is actually a division by zero one.

Comment

• muesli_addict
      • Aug 2003

Rats! Can't remember when i did wmp9 updates...obviously long enuf for me to have dele'd the rollback folders lol. I imaged my c: abt 2 weeks ago b4 chipset driver upgrades , but have a feeling
      this was after wmp9 stuff.
      Don't even use wmp9...Other peeps must be having same/similar probs?

Comment

• Kryalis
        • Nov 2003

There's a reg hack to remove the .avi preview so it least stops it crashing explorer (but not during playback).

Run regedit and find the following key :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shel lex\PropertyHandler

Delete the "Default" value then close. This nukes all the .avi previews, but that's usually a good thing.

I'm bored of deleting and checking hotfixs now, so I guess i'll use ffdshow.

Out of interest are you running a Intel or AMD processor?

Comment

• muesli_addict
          • Aug 2003

Already tried this , didn't work for me. However did not reboot after making the change...middle of a download.
          have amd barton 2500+ on a7n8x deluxe 2.0 mobo.
          On this forum the answer for everything is ' use ffdshow'....well ffdshow codec looks CRAP.

Comment

• Kryalis
            • Nov 2003

The reason I asked about the processor was a person I was speaking to on IRC had the same problem, and he had an AMD 2500+ Barton. The same as I do.

This could be a coincidence. I know all the latest builds using the Intel Compiler. This may be introducing an error for AMD users, more specifically Barton users since it's implementation changed a bit.

There was an encoder issue a while back with some of the dev builds of xvid that may cause this issue. But more modern encodes shouldn't.

I'll look into compiling a version myself to ensure there aren't any intel specific optimisations in there. Since xvid is somewhat well written tight code, they might be required

Personally I don't mind the quality of the later alpha versions of ffdshow. Poke some of the quality options. They help.

Comment

• muesli_addict
              • Aug 2003

I'd sure be interested if you do a re-compile ; this sort of stuff is way beyond me!
              Already running the latest alpha ffdshow from sourceforge . Personally I find there are too many options in ffdshow , have tweaked & poked endlessly , still cannot get it to look as good as a straight xvid decoder.
              I'm almost tempted to do a repair on my XP installation , just to verify if it is a wmp9 issue.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Does this apply to virtually any XviD files you have? Or does this occur only with a select few of files (which might happen to be corrupt and hence causing the problem)?

Cheers.

Comment

• muesli_addict
                  • Aug 2003

Any file which gspot shows as xvid coded ; i guess it's looking at the 4cc?
                  The files are all playable , open them up via bsplayer no problem.

Comment

• naknir
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kryalis
                    The reason I asked about the processor was a person I was speaking to on IRC had the same problem, and he had an AMD 2500+ Barton. The same as I do.

This could be a coincidence. I know all the latest builds using the Intel Compiler. This may be introducing an error for AMD users, more specifically Barton users since it's implementation changed a bit.

There was an encoder issue a while back with some of the dev builds of xvid that may cause this issue. But more modern encodes shouldn't.

I'll look into compiling a version myself to ensure there aren't any intel specific optimisations in there. Since xvid is somewhat well written tight code, they might be required

Personally I don't mind the quality of the later alpha versions of ffdshow. Poke some of the quality options. They help.
                    I too had this problem, and also having a Barton 2500+ processor..... But now it doesn't happen after I installed ffdshow, but another problem is happenning now (see in another topic).

naknir.

Comment

• Ogros
                      • Aug 2004

The fix that worked for me and Why

Download the latest build from www.koepi.org or wherever remove any previous installs of xvid then close all unneccessary applications start the install eg(with Koepi's when it asks for language DO NOT PROCEED YET hit Ctrl+Alt+Del end task "explorer" then continue install WHEN FINISHED go back to task manager select "file" then "new task" type in "explorer" and you should be good to go.

the reason unistalling then reinstalling xvid doesn't work very well is explorer will hold the xvid.ax in cache and even if you uninstall and reboot explorer will continue to load the old xvid.ax although running the instalation when explorer is closed did update the "xvid.ax" to one which doe not conflict with media player 9.

Hopefully this works for you.

if not I do not pretend to be a guru it worked for me. I'm not looking to fix my not broken media player so don't ask me why yours still doesn't work although... I do accept praise.

Good luck

http://www.roeder.goe.net/cgi-bin/fe...1-05062004.exe (The build of Xvid I used)

Comment

• muesli_addict
                        • Aug 2003

wOw , blast from the past!

I did find another way of disabling the explorer previewing & then when updating to Xvid 1.0x the problem cleared without resorting to reg edits.

Comment

• martinimini
                          • Mar 2008

Had the same problems. Re-installing Xvid did the trick.

Download the latest version of the XviD codec, which is needed to play and create XviD videos. We offer free downloads for both Windows and Mac users.

Comment

Working...