• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickless
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jun 2005

What in the world? Wow!

I installed my parents new 16x burner tonight. When I tried to run shrink tonight, during the encoding it said that the estimated time was 4 hours! That's like 4x SLOWER than my 1x burner on my laptop. What is the cause of this? Also, the computer was freezing and DVD Shrink kept giving me the Not Responding act...

I check my processes in task manager. 22 Processes, 100% CPU Usage.

I checked and it's a Dell Dimension Series 8200 (P4 1.89 GHz)... it has a 256 RDRAM (PC800) in it already. That meets the burner's specs, but 512 is recommended? What in the world could be the problem here? And what is my next step.

Seriously, I need a lot of help on this one. I'm stumped.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

check DMA http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44808
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• nickless
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jun 2005

AWESOME! OK I think I did something wrong... Please verify.

When I installed, I unplugged the power of the CD/DVD-ROM drive and just left the new burner plugged in to do everything, making it the primary? Is this a big no no? I mean this drive has the functionality above and beyond what the other drive has but I just didn't want to have dual drives going, I thought it would cut down on the power to the good one. Was this the wrong move?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Your parents computer is the edsel that intel and dell would rather forget,
        wait till you price ram for it! Respect your elders and do their movies for them.

and get them to upgrade to sp2

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

it won't cause any problems to have both drives in at the same time.

but making the burner master is recommended, which i'm guessing is what you have already done, when you replaced the old with the new.
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• nickless
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jun 2005

OK I'll follow the forum then.

@ chewy - I don't live with them... they use it for other reasons as well.. just trying to help them out, they aren't technologically advanced.

So let's try to do with what we have... is this doable?

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

streamline their computer with power user setup, follow jmet's guide for msconfig, free up as much ram as possible, take out the trash, defrag,
              make sure they watch and learn to be a user not a loser, dma on,
              doable, I started with 256 megs of ram and never needed more.

Comment

• nickless
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                streamline their computer with power user setup, follow jmet's guide for msconfig, free up as much ram as possible
                That is jibberish to me. Can you explain streamline, is jmet's guide the link posted above? If so what part? All I see that he posted was that he was locking the thread.

I take it 100% CPU usage is a bad thing not a good thing...

Oh here's another question... you said to defrag. We resently reinstalled XP and wiped out the harddrive on that computer because of a virus. So is defragging still necessary?

Comment

• nickless
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jun 2005

OK I just checked, the DMA under the device manager was on and looked exactly like Blu's example. The only difference was that the bottom one said "Not Applicable" which Blu said was normal.

Where should I go from here?

Honestly if someone can tell me step by step how to do it, I will follow it letter by letter.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

rtclk taskbar/start menu classic
                    rtclk mycomputer/properties
                    system restore turn off
                    advanced/performance/settings/adjust for best performance
                    turn off automatic updates
                    my computer/c drive/rtclk/properties/disk cleanup/uncheck indexing
                    rightclick empty space desktop / properties/settings/16 bit
                    start/run/msconfig/startup kill as much as you can and quit doing auto installs of software, go custom

kill quick launch toolbar

defrag

or buy more ram
                    and a faster cpu

Comment

• nickless
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Jun 2005

OK I got all that... well, it's defragging now. I couldn't figure out how to "kill the taskbar" but I got rid of ALL my quick launch icons.

Anything else I can do...?

When I first installed the burner, on startup I had to hit F2 to go in and set the burner as the primary... was that the correct move?

In other words, do you think the slow computer could be caused by me installing the burner wrong? Also, I was especially confused over the Master/Slave aspect of the setup. I didn't bother with that, but thought everything was fine. Should I have payed more attention to that? And if so, how do I do it?

Comment

• nickless
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Jun 2005

Defragmentation complete... I've now done everything suggested. Is there anything else I can do? My DMA looks like it is turned on.... I only have one drive, this being the primary... Any other recommendations?

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

update the firmware on burner if needed
                          run neroinfo tool to check it out/master/slave etc

ctrl/alt/del(3 finger saluta) see how much ram is free?

and check C and make sure swap file is a decent size

and sure glad we didn't get to services.msc
                          Last edited by Chewy; 29 Dec 2005, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

I installed my parents new 16x burner tonight. When I tried to run shrink tonight, during the encoding it said that the estimated time was 4 hours! That's like 4x SLOWER than my 1x burner on my laptop. What is the cause of this? Also, the computer was freezing and DVD Shrink kept giving me the Not Responding act...
                            Are you burning or encoding/compressing?

4 hours might be normal for that PC when encoding using deep analysis and AEC. I can have sessions up to 3 hours on my PC when using both.

What burner is it? Just because it is 16x, it doesn't mean the computer will read the disc at that speed. The computer has to rip and compress at the same time. Some burners have a riplock (2x and 5x is popular).

If you are taking 4 hours to burn a DVD then something is seriously wrong. Even at 1x. A burn on the laptop won't take longer than 1 hour.

Shrink will use all the cpu it can take. So, it will take 100% if it can. There is a low priority setting to try out.

Try ripping using DVD Decrypter first then use Shrink reading the DVD off the hard disk.

Comment

• nickless
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Jun 2005

OK cool...

Yes I was encoding when it said 4 hours. This is a 16x burner, beyond that I have no idea. This is an older computer... Is it a bad idea to update the Ram anyways?

I've only reached the encoding phase once anyhow. I ripped an ARccOS dvd with the wizard, at the end of the process it asked if I wanted to open up the folder in Shrink. I said yes... it did, and I started the encoding that way.

However! If I launch DVD Shrink, and even just click "Backup!"... the CPU will freeze. I mean ice cold... I can't even get the process to shut off. I have to restart the computer. What is this low priority mode? That's worth a shot... I'm going to try to update the firmware like Chewy said in the meantime. I have 19 processes running now and the CPU is at 100%.

"I'm givin it all I've got captain!"

Comment

Working...