One More Question for Chewy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MystDrg75
    • Feb 2006

that heat sink looks close to mine but mine is copper.......different fan though......i was actually think of changing my fan back to my old one cause this one is so loud my case sounds like a jet engine right now cause of that fan on top of the heat sink.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

with more than 7000rpm you should definitely think about a different fan

in case you need a decent 80x80 fan try to get one of these:

i have ordered a a few of these arctic cooling fan pro tc together with a couple of 120x120 revoltecs some days ago and they are just awesome

almost inaudible when the temperature is low and well cooling with 56m³/h when running at full speed with a max of 2500rpm

here's an old socket a cooler comparison btw:

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech. | Tom's Hardware

Comment

• MystDrg75
        • Feb 2006

i have this fan and heat sink laying around to that i could change mine to.....

the kcp30 version

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

the pure copper heatsink looks good but i wouldnt use a noisy 60x60 fan

if i were you i'd use the heatsink and get a converter funnel to mount a 80x80 fan on this 60x60 heatsink:

Comment

• MystDrg75
            • Feb 2006

alright this maybe a really dumb question but on the bottom of the heatsink I have in my system now has a scratch on the bottom of it. Would that scratch effect the heat displacement at all or not. I have learned alot from you guys and I really do appreciate it all.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

a scratch can have an influence on heat absorption, yes

but i doubt a scratch will result in incredibly high temperatures to be honest

one main reason for using thermal paste is to fill the small scratches and uneven parts in the heatsinks bottom but i cannot judge your scratch

which heatsink is scratched?
              the vantec or the kcp30?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

what if the bios is overvolting the cpu core?

Comment

• MystDrg75
                  • Feb 2006

The vantec has the scratch in it and thats the one I have in there now. The kcp30 doesnt have any scratches at all. Plus I'm not sure if bios is over volting the core. How would I check that and change it if needed?

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

your everest seems close at 1.55 to the 1.6, has the bios flash helped anything?

if I am concerned about overheating, I will try to set an alarm to go off if
                    it gets 10-15C above idle(bios or software monitor)

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

dont worry about the voltage

1.6v is the standard value for a sempron 2600+ socket a (thoroughbred-b core)

Comment

• MystDrg75
                        • Feb 2006

everets is saying that the core voltage right now is at 1.58. My cpu temp has been holding pretty steady at 50 degrees C in an idle stage.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

well, 50° is different to the 60+° you mentioned in the beginning

if you feel like try your other cpu cooler but dont spend money on a new mainboard

socket A is a dead end and i wouldnt buy a new board for this socket

and socket A does get much warmer than an athlon64 be it socket 754, 939 or 940 so there is not much to worry about - especially when your system is running stable

Comment

• MystDrg75
                            • Feb 2006

yes im happy with the temps now and just want to quiet it down so it doesn't sound like a vaccum cleaner. I looked at the computer supply store here for one of those funnels but they dont carry them and actully said they dont recommend using one. I can't order off-line cuase of no way for payment so I have to think of something different to try to quiet it down some.

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

you will need a 60x60 fan then with a lower rotation speed than your current one but still decent airflow

ideally the fan would have thermal control which means its rpm will vary depending on the temperatures the sensor measured

i would like to hear the shops arguments on a funnel by the way - why did they say they wont suggest using any
                              (just because they dont have them?)

i'd definitely prefer a larger fan to a smaller one and 60x60 is rather small but that wont help you in any way

the problem is this: you wont find a 60x60 with LOWER rotation and sufficient airflow like ~30cfm/50m³-h

most coolers with specs like the airflow mentioned above and rotations of ~2500 and low noise level are equipped with a 80mm fan

c.f. this arctic cooling fan for socket A:

Comment

• MystDrg75
                                • Feb 2006

When I called about the funnels the store I called said "No we don't carry anything like that and I don't recommend using one anyways. That is something dell usually uses and they actually restrict air flow than provide more. If you are looking to quiet down your system I suggest looking around on-line for a new heat sink that already comes with a quieter fan. Thats your best bet but don't go with a funnel cause it will do more harm than good."

So I am pretty much screwed since no store with-in 100 miles of here that sells the fan adapters and I have no way of payment for on-line orders. All I can find is the 80 to 120mm adapters but not the 60-80mm ones. I guess all I can really do is throw my other heat sink on. The air flow isn't as good but at least the fan is quietier.

Comment

Working...