Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Is this what you mean? This is from XP, wouldn't I have to do the same for Vista?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Performance.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	913706

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

XP:

Name:	PerfXP.png
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	913707

Vista:

Name:	PerfVista.png
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	913708

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Well crossing my fingers & touching a whole pile of wood, every program I have tried in Vista, I have had no problem with it, except what I mentioned in my other thread. Firefox, Thunderbird, gmail, ImgBurn, PhotoFiltre, Nero7, etc, etc & etc.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

app list?

Originally Posted by soup
          Well crossing my fingers & touching a whole pile of wood, every program I have tried in Vista, I have had no problem with it, except what I mentioned in my other thread. Firefox, Thunderbird, gmail, ImgBurn, PhotoFiltre, Nero7, etc, etc & etc.
          I've been wonderin' if it would be a good idea to have a Works With Vista thread? Or does most of the stuff work and it might be easier to say which stuff seems to be broken? Only thing I noticed with those kinds of threads though, is there's no auto-indexing. Once the thread covers a bunch of pages you end up reading through forever and there's a lot of repetition.
          Anyway that seems to be the most concern other than drivers is what apps will and won't work. I'm curious what you think.

AFA browsers, I read someplace that the new version of Opera was having some problems. Good old Opera 8.5 build 7700 runs great. One proviso, I don't use mouse gestures. Please don't blame me if you do and it crashes!!

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I think it is a good idea, but I seem to remember that somebody posted a link entitled what programs work with Vista, around here somewhere.

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

Since the darn laptops come with Vista preloaded ... has any of you guys try baking up the Vista OS off of their laptop and then unistall it and load up XP on it!?!?

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

nope

Originally Posted by gonwk
                Hi guys,

Since the darn laptops come with Vista preloaded ... has any of you guys try baking up the Vista OS off of their laptop and then unistall it and load up XP on it!?!?

G!
                Hmmm I'd check out the policy AFA wiping the install and running the restore set vis a vis being able to return the machine. If things get hosed the restocking fee could be nasty. Granted the preinstall restore stuff works a lot better than it used to but you never know when you'll get burned. A safer test might be to put XP on as dual boot if you have the disk space.. and try it out for a while. I'd try to talk to someone with the exact same machine AFA drivers for both OS etc.. to avoid headaches.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Most of the major retailers just take the computer back as long it is within the stated return policy. Usually 15 day from the date of purchase.
                  Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

Miles & Doc ... Thanks for the feedback ... got it.

G!

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

A reason to stay away from Vista ??

By this link Vista can mess with HD video and a $100 video card can perform better then a $1000 video card?? My Vista Home upgrade is still in the envelope it came in and I'm still running XP Home on my laptop.

Comment

• Trespasser
                        • Jun 2006

I personally like Vista. It's a lot more secure than XP. Reminds me a lot of Ubuntu Linux in that respect.

Hey, jm1647.

Hey, Blutach.

Comment

• cjdaden
                          dont try and you wont fail
                          • Aug 2007

To me,

Vista is a lil less crappy than XP, and a lil more crappy than the next coming... Like it's always been and always will be with windows.

Next time I get Linux.

Comment

• Sorayna
                            • Aug 2007

I think people got used to XP and it's very difficult to change it....to get used with something else....

Comment

• RFBurns
                              To Infinity And Byond
                              • May 2006

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Vista OS pc about two weeks ago. It seems to run fine and with most of my programs I have on the old workhorse pc.

About the only thing I dont like is the consistant asking of do I want to continue pop ups. Its like ok..here I am trying to install something, I am the full admin owner of this pc, and as far as I know, have set everything so that I can do whatever as the admin. Yet this thing will pop up asking me if I want to continue when installing something or even simply moving a file or making a new folder.

It becomes quite frustrating. But what is most frustrating is all the pre-loaded stuff popping up reminding me to go online with it and check for virus defs and so forth. What I would like to do is turn off all that stuff since I dont intend to put this particular pc online at all except to update the OS or drivers.

It once interrupted a game I was playing (FreeLancer) and right in the middle of a heated space combat scenario, a "reminder" pop up interrupted my game!!! Needless to say I had to repeat that level because the pop up reminder took me to the desktop while I was trying to outmanuver incomming missiles!!! When I went back to the game, I was nothing more than pieces of space debris floating about. LOL!!!

Oh well, whats life these days without some sort of pop up!!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• doctorhardware
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Dec 2006

Try installing a linksys wireless nick card on a computer with vista. Can you spell a real PIA. There is no vista drivers on the disk yet, and it never install the same way twice. I wasted over 3 1/2 hours at work trying to install that stupid card.
                                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...