X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

hi pot. i'm sticking to my guns on taking the suggestions of the more experienced members, and not having to bang my head w/a hammer for not doing so. maybe you got vista before reading this thread, but if you didn't and went ahead and put it in your system, well then welcome to the issues of vista. i was lucky to have heard through the grapevine by way of some friends, the internet, and finally this thread that vista was problematic period.

like chewy said,"Bill Gates just gave us another reason to build our own." that being said try to eliminate the obvious through trouble shooting w/the suggestions provided like that of jblitz, and the rest of the fellas, and see what happens. my suggestion would b to do a clean uninstall of vista, and install xp if you could, after of course you've tried to fix your issues first to see if in fact it is a hardware problem.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• jblitz277
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Apr 2007

I have XP around but,I'm trying to make Vista work.My buddy had Vista Ultimate 32 bit and didn't like it at all and gave it to me to experiment.I've had it 4-5 days and everyday I hit a roadblock and with the exception of certain older hardware of mine and there drivers if I google it 100 ways and ask around I've figured most of it out.XP was so easy and straight forward after SP2 so I'm hoping when 2nd edition Vista hits they will have made adjustments.Besides Ultimate is like $400 and I got it free,I'm now obligated to give it a go.

Edit hey doc hows that Sammy burner in your sig?I'm in the market for fisrt sata burner and that's one of my finalists.
      Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i mobo
      Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
      4 Gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
      Samsung 203B(sata)
      BenQ 1655(ide)
      Lite-On LH-20A1S-12 (sata)
      500Gb WD caviar (sata)
      300Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide)
      500Gb Western Digital external Harddrive USB X 2
      600w Ultra Infinity PS
      8500GT 512mb Vid
      Samsung Syncmaster 906BW
      Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

hi jblitz. believe me when i say that it's been definitely on the money. the leadin takes a bit, but a lot of burners do. that aside it'll burn anything, both cds, and dvds w/no problem. also important to me is that it'll burn quote, unquote, b rated media like sony, and maxell which i haven't had any problems w/whatsoever. unless it arrives doa from newegg, or wherever you choose to get 1, i'd suggest snatching it up, especially now that it's been out 4 a while , and truly has proven itself. also great buys, might have free shipping w/discount.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• gonwk
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

Has anyone been able to make the darn FAVC to work with VISTA SP-1 64-bit OS?

I have tried FAVC 1.04, 1.05, 1.06, and 1.07 and no luck!

Q: Do I need any External Codecs besides the 2 requirements of AviSynth 2.57+ and dotnet requirements.

Thanks,

G!
          Last edited by gonwk; 27 Oct 2008, 05:17 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

I just asking, is there a way to run the program in a compatibility mode to get it to run.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk
              Hi guys,

HNas anyone been able to make the darn FAVC to work with VISTA SP-1 64-bit OS?

I have tried FAVC 1.04, 1.05, 1.06, and 1.07 and no luck!

Q: Do I need any External Codecs besides the 2 requirements of AviSynth 2.57+ and dotnet requirements.

Thanks,

G!
              Are you trying the 32 bit FAVC or the 64 bit version?

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Hey guys,

I have tried 32-bit & 64-bit in Compatibility Mode and also as Admin ... no go ...

I have even begged folks on Doom ... where Mr_Odwin parks ... and no luck ... I don't blame him ... a Free Program and someone like me bugging him.

Anyway ... I am crossing my fingers ... may be feels "sorry" for the poor slob (me) and tell me what to do ...

BUT ... for the GOOD News ... DVD Flick works JUST FINE.

I hardly convert AVI's to DVD ... but I just like messing around with different programs for the heck of it.

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

Ok we know tha you have vista, what version 64 bit or 32 bit. How much memory and what cpu do you have.

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                    Ok we know tha you have vista, what version 64 bit or 32 bit. How much memory and what cpu do you have.
                    Gateway M-6862, Vista 64-bit SP1 (which I wished suckers ahd put 32-bit or even XP PRO), 4GB RAM, T-5750 (2.0GHz), ATI Radeon 2600HT with 512MB DDR3 memory, Wirless Intel 4965 A/B/G, I added Bluetooth Card myself, 1.3MP Vid Camera, 250GB HDD, DVD Player, 15.4" Glossy Screen.

This is a heck of laptop and my motherboard can handle CPU upgrade all the way up to T7800 and even higher.

And the BEST part I got it on SALE for out of the door for $435 (a $800 laptop for that much).

G!

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

Well at least it does not have the Nvida video chip set. It is a damm good price.

Comment

• gonwk
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2005

Well at least it does not have the Nvida video chip set. It is a damm good price.
                        Hi Doc,

That is exactly why I bought this laptop. When I started looking for a laptop I "Specifically" stayed away from NVIDIA GPUs since they all have been having HEATing problems ... bad packaging material ... and there was a lot of problems and HP, DELL, SONY, ... etc. keep putting out BIOS upgrades to push the CPU FAN to start sooner than it is supposed to ... in order to keep GPU from cooking up and damaging the MOBO.

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

You're lucky it's a laptop and that the monitor came glued to it. I have the same GPU on my new build, not vista, and probably faster as it's the turbo version, but I got stuck w/a new monitor I just bought a bit back that won't let me enjoy the digital signal. Looks like I'm stuck w/VGA at a high resolution unless by some miracle I can get Acer to either refund me or credit and exchange for a operable one at digital even if it costs more.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

So new egg is not going to issue a RMA for your new monitor. I would call Acer and see what their position on the problems that you are having.

Comment

• atifsh
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2003

with 4 gb or more u will get 64bit only... should have bought3 gb to get 32 bit with optional 64bit upgrade most companies provide.

thats a good machine u have. what battery life ur getting outof it.
                              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

So new egg is not going to issue a RMA for your new monitor. I would call Acer and see what their position on the problems that you are having.
                                I'm covering all the bases as I write. The monitor's at Acer's site in TX. Should be back soon hopefully. They're suggesting some options including safe boot and then changing display settings, and of course they're pushing to use the VGA connector and see if that works. Of course that works, but I'll be sure if the issues pop up in VGA mode also when I get it back.

Too late for RMA from Newegg, so hadto send to Acer. Newegg just gave me $30 credit towards next purchase which just about covered what it costs to send the monitor to Acer. I already used the credit for a Netgear switch for my 2 pcs. Will be here tomorrow.

If after I test the monitor every which way but loose and in VGA mode and it still acts up then I'll have to go into persistence mode and try getting refund or better one. If I'm stuck w/it working correctly then fine. If working correctly but only in VGA mode then sooner or later I'll get a newer and better monitor if Acer doesn't replace/credit me. Live n learn.

P.S. excuse the quick hostage situation Gonwk. I'm not really into hijacking.

Comment

Working...