X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Tips on installing RAM?

i bought another 512MB for one of my pc's. any tips? looks like it's as easy as slamming it in and re-booting! i got memtest too to check it out after.

fella at the store suggested THEY do it for 45 smackaroonies. lol....
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

pull the power plug from the back of the computer, wait

insert carefully powerup and pray it posts

old ram and new ram may not like each other, higher density new ram and old mobos don't get along, real PITA

Comment

• petsbug
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2005

I added 512mb (2x256) in my system too recently. I was tempted to get 2 x 512's but I got 2 x 256 in my system so I went for the identical values as the older ones I don't really need too much RAM as I don't do much editing. I read that you can do so too with unmatched values as long as they are on pairs on DIMM1&2 and on DIMM3&4. Don't mix the old and new in pairs and if possible buy two with the same speed as the original if you are not upgrading them all as the lowest speed will take priority. well, space was not an issue in mine so its straightforward really as you said slam it in and reboot click yes that's it. Check though if actually registered in system properties. Right click My Computer>properties. (lol, is this for novices consumption LT?)
      -----------------------------------------
      DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
      LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

yeah. i got all that. thanx guys. just wanted to see if i was forgetting something. i got the same kind of crappy generic ram as the old. even the sticker has the same numbers PC2700 etc...

i'll see how it goes.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• volfann
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jun 2006

I can't believe they would want $45 to pop in a RAM module. Hell ,I bet that is more than the module cost.
          sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

If it doesn't fit in easy just grab your case with both hands and put foot against edge of your new stick and push...it will go eventually.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by locoeng
              If it doesn't fit in easy just grab your case with both hands and put foot against edge of your new stick and push...it will go eventually.
              lol

well like usual for me. everything is all fcuked up. i added it and windows wouldn't even fully load and it just restarted over and over. took it out, with only the original in. works fine but screwed up my live update for norton, even their auto fix tool it said to use don't fix it. also i got a "windows has recovered from a serious error" send or don't send report window.

what i decided to do is take out the original, put in this new one. PC works and i'm running mem test right now.

the fella at the store says it could be that this new samsung RAM i bought may not work with my MB. well i guess i just ruled that out. the other thing he said the old RAM (infineon) may not work with this new RAM (samsung). i think this is it. and of course they are sold out of the infineon. i thought this would take 20 minutes and i've been screwing around for hours.

btw that thing has 4 slots. two blue on the left, two black on the right. what if you run one stick in each?
              Last edited by LT. Columbo; 1 Jun 2007, 04:55 AM.
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                pull the power plug from the back of the computer, wait

insert carefully powerup and pray it posts

old ram and new ram may not like each other, higher density new ram and old mobos don't get along, real PITA
                seems the case here. i have to wait till the weekend till they got more of this stuff in. in the mean time:

the windows crash must have buggered something since norton's live update got messed up right after this. all i want to do is delete it, but guess what?

1) system restore won't restore to anywhere.
                2) "add/remove" programs list is BLANK

norton has no uninstaller, task manager won't let me end process. i even tried safe mode and "add/remove program list" is still blank. from google searches it seems the registry got messed up or something - i don't know.

what can i do? no other problems are present so if i can save a re-format i'd like to.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

boot to safe mode - sys restore avail?

I know they say you can run the xp cd & click "repair" option, but I never had much luck w/ that, although others have...

Good Luck...
                  Last edited by katzdvd; 1 Jun 2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                    I know they say you can run the xp cd & click "repair" option, but I never had much luck w/ that
                    Then we are two...

Comment

• locoeng
                      Who Farted?
                      • Dec 2005

2) "add/remove" programs list is BLANK
                      How about this feature in Ccleaner, does it show programs available to remove?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                      Walt Kelly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

How about this feature in Ccleaner, does it show programs available to remove?
                        say again? i do have cccleaner on that machine.

i was able to install avg again . it worked but did give a warning about a reg key. so i'm sure i was right about the registry being screwed. i'm sure someone could fix this in a short time. i see registry fixes on google but it looks too complex and i don't know what's what. i'm just too dumb i guess!

i'd be willing to try anything if someone could say with 100% certainty what procedure i need to follow,then i could do it. if i could just get norton off, and my add/remove prgram list back i won't have to re-format. but if i do it's ok, i've been thinking about it for the last 6 months.
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

I'm at work and don't have access to Ccleaner, but I think the "tools" option is really a listing of programs just like Windows own Add/Remove list...you can uninstall programs from this feature. I was just curious if the programs showed up there or if they were missing just as in windoze.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

I'm at work and don't have access to Ccleaner, but I think the "tools" option is really a listing of programs just like Windows own Add/Remove list...you can uninstall programs from this feature. I was just curious if the programs showed up there or if they were missing just as in windoze.
                            i'll try it top of the morning.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• locoeng
                              Who Farted?
                              • Dec 2005

Unfortunately it is top of the morning....just turned 3AM

Walt Kelly

Comment

Working...