What speaker system are you using with your PC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hacker_on_fire
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2002

If i was to have a 60"/100" projector, i would need a £400- pionner dvd player, with s-video out and a 7.1 sound system. I would never use an avi as a source, as i only use avi's if i like the film, but not to an extent that i would spend £20 on a dvd or be too picky about the quality.
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
    Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Oriphus
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Aug 2003

I dont use AVi because of the lack of quality. A have a Marantx THX certified system and a £70 Plu2 progressive scan DVD player. however, i am considering upgrading that to the £220 Pioneer DV565K-S
      http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• MPS
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Mar 2003

some1 here got a lotta money

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

Not really - I had to sell my £7000 camera lens for £4000 to pay of my bills. I can do without it though sort of. THis is the first time i have had money in the bank. Usually im minus, like what a student should be.

Comment

• MPS
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

I C

Comment

• littlemouse
              Setaeriper
              • Aug 2003

I use Creative Cambrige Soundworks-Desktop Theater 5.1. It still sound great. Love it.
              Those who can, do. Those who wonder why, help.
              Where can you find the best DVD backup software? Please click here

Comment

• Oriphus
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Aug 2003

I've just gotten the Harmon Kardon HK695 stereo outfit. I stole it form my dads computer and replaced it with my old Harmon Kardon speakers, he will never notice. It sounds cracker to hae a sub under the desk....wow. Playing AA is pretty load now though. I'd love to hook my marantz suyrround into the computer someday and try it lol

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Mar 2002

I use Creative Cambrige Soundworks-Desktop Theater 4.1. it does the job very well.
                  MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
                  Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Oriphus
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Aug 2003

Yeah its a good system alright. I just dont have anywhere to put surround sound speakers behind me

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Seeing the number of audio enthusiasts on this thread, perhaps you guys can give me some help on this. I am planning to upgrade the speakers for my computer. It will be a simple stereo setup, comprising an integrated amplifier, a set of stereo speaker and, when I have earned more, a subwoofer for low-end extension.

For the integrated amplifier and speakers, I am planning to get the Marantz PM7200 and the Quad 11L, respectively. Has any one of you experience with one or both of the models? Thanks.

Comment

• littlemouse
                        Setaeriper
                        • Aug 2003

You live in Europe, I live in USA, so I really don't know how to give my opinion. I usually use Creative speakers because they had good quality.... But I think, the best speakers are in Europe. So buy anything that you think is the best. Take a look on CNET, you may find the good speakers for yourself. With the website you provided, I think Marantz PM7200 would be a good choice for you! Good luck.
                        Those who can, do. Those who wonder why, help.
                        Where can you find the best DVD backup software? Please click here

Comment

• Oriphus
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Aug 2003

I have a Marantz PM7300 sitting right in fornt of me, it only really differs to the 7200 in that the 7300 has class A amplification, whihc produces abetter output. Its a truely excellent amplifier, and generally a good price. I reall dont think that it is necessary for your computer system though. The problem with attaching a subwoofer to it is that it has no subwoofer out on it. This means using one of your two sets of speaker ci=onnection for and active subwoofer (it has to be active). Harmon Kardon/JBL have good speaker subwoofer packages for computers. Check out their site.

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

Oriphus,

The PM7200 can run in Class A mode as well (2 x 25W; should be enough for low to moderate volume near-field listening).

You are right on the potential difficulty on connecting a subwoofer to the amp though. As far as I am aware, the normal method of doing so is by connecting the sub to the pre-out of the amp (which the PM7200 unfortunately does not have). An alternative that I can think of is by getting my soundcard to handle bass management, thus sending the mid- and high-frequency signals to the amp and speakers, and the low-frequency signals straight to the sub using the standard RCA connection. Do you think that is technically possible? Or is there another way of achieving it? Or should I consider another amp that will allow me to hook up a sub to it in the future? As you can see I am still quite in the dark on this matter. Thanks.

p.s. Can you give me a link to the Marantz PM7300?

Comment

• Conehead
                              • Aug 2003

Enchanter ;

I recently bought Altec Lansing ADA 995 THX Certified
                              speakers to my Dell. Together with my SoundBlaster
                              Audigy2 card it blows my neighbours to kingdom come.

Not that that is the primary target but it's a nice bonus.

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

Enchanter - my mistake on model numbers - it is the PM7200 with Class A, i was confusing it with the 7000 and the SR7300. I have the PM7200 - oops

I think it may be possile to connect an active sub the way you are suggested, but i dont really think it would be ideal. Since the Marantz has two sets of speakers connectable to it (two rooms) with on and off switching for both, you could easily use one of those if you intend on only connecting up 1 pair of speakers to it, remembering even if you connect more its still gonna be 2 or 2.1 stereo. if you are in the uk - get it from here:

Might i suggest these speakers with it:

And possibly this sub:

I know they are expensive, nut the quality is amazing. Remembering that this is really an audophile set up rather than a PC set up. I would highly recommend this set up for the PC:

Comment

Working...