X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

United do feel that he is too expensive, i feel he is too expensive, but i think you are right about United buying a big name. They havent exactly done that yet and i think that they will. I hope its not Rooney, as i think thats far too much money for someone who is overated, though very good. I'll tell you for sure id rather have Thiery Henry in my team than Wayne Rooney....
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• Oriphus
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Aug 2003

Just reading that Arsenal should be signing Arturo Lipolo and that United are very close to signing Giuseppe Rossi, who is amazing. Both are from Parma. We keep signing young talented players for the future. I see a new squad being built up here. Its looking promising.

Comment

• Oriphus
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Aug 2003

We have signed Rossi and Pique now. Im just hoping we sign the youngster Alberto Gilardino from parma as well, that'd be cool. What a future squad we would have if they made the cut....

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Unfortunately, most youth players don't make the cut. We've just released something like 17 players, most of them youth players, and some of them were hyped to be the next best thing. At Arsenal, only Ashley Cole and Clichy have made the transfer from youth squad to first team, and there hasn't been that many youth players to make it at United either (Ronaldo doesn't count, because he was brought in for the first team).

I just don't know if this Arturo Lipolo guy will ever make the grade at Arsenal, even when the likes of Aliadiere and Bentley might not make it. And youth players are not cheap, because of all the schooling and training invested.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MPS
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Mar 2003

anyway it's better to invest in the future, than to spend zillions of $ on stars - this year's Euro has shown that stars are overrated and unable to perform on top level with so mamny games in the season - everyone needs a couple of games off, so that's where the place is for the young talent i think.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Arsene Wenger once said that if 1% of our youth players make it to the first team, then it's a good achievement. I think that percentage is about right, so relying on youth players to come through is a dangerous policy. This is especially true for large clubs like Arsenal, where we will not risk youngsters in games unless forced to do so - we just can't afford to lose or even draw games these days. So this means no playing opportunity for youth players. They could go on loan, and I think allowing Premiership clubs to loan players to other Premiership clubs was a great move.

This is probably why all the young emerging talents come from smaller teams or from smaller leagues, like Ronaldo, Reyes, Rooney, or they have to be really young and unproven, like Pique or Cesc.

So for big clubs, I think the safest policy is to buy established talent, or buy proven youth players, which is not really the same as developing youth players themselves.

Comment

• MPS
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Mar 2003

it's sad everything in football involves money.
                i think the idea of having 11 young new players in the first team would be interesting - sure you risk relegation, but at least somthing new happens, you know, uncertainty, sensation, hopes, real emotions - but this of course is not going to happen because of sponsors, money contracts, ads etc. etc. etc.

you dont want one team to win 10 years straight ( yup, even MU ), cause it's boring - just look what is happening with Formula 1 - how fecking boring it is with this Schumacher's hegemony.

Comment

• Oriphus
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Aug 2003

lol - you will never see 11 new players in a team like UNited or Arsenal, especially 11 young and never tried youths.

I agree that youth programs are essential and that in big clubs there is little chance of getting a start when you are not tried. There are very few real stars that come through the ranks at big clubs, United being more fortunate than most in recent times. I think that forming partnerships with teams in other leagues is a great benefit. We can send our young players to Antwerp, Sporting Lisbon, or even off to America to gain first team football, but, more often than not, we rely on other clubs to 'steal' their youth and bring them to our own clubs.

Oh.....its only 3 days over a month away until the start of the season were we hammer Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

Comment

• MPS
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2003

One United. One Future.
                    that sounds almost fascist
                    [ ever played Command & Conquer? If yes, then you should relate this to NOD & Kane ]

and what about Barca nesxt season - i see MU-Barca Champ.League final

Comment

• Oriphus
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Aug 2003

I have played Command & Conquer lol

Barca v United in the final. Now that would be a good match. If Saviola, Larsson and Ronaldinho are on form for the attacking side for Barca and Marquez & Puyol on form in defense, it could be a very interesting match if United are up for it. However, i don't want to start counting my chickens quite yet lol.

I think it a bit of a laugh to have Arsenal 6/5 favourites to win the Premiership. How **** are those odds? Chelsea 2/1 and Manchester United are 5/2.

For the FA Cup Arsenal are favourites at 3/1, then Chelsea at 7/2 and then United at 9/2. Thats even more stupid. United are the holders of the FA Cup so why are they in third place? Strange....

Manchester United are only 350/1 to get relegated whereas Arsenal are 1000/1. WHo makes up these odds i wonder - twats in my opinion.

United are 100/1 to do the Treble this year. Im putting my £10 on that as well as £10 on the Double Premiership / FA Cup.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Kane was played by Barthez, no?

Comment

• MPS
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2003

odds are odds, and i think no fan should be bothered by them - just put your money on MU and wait for the results i think MU, Chelsea, Arsenal will be the top 3 this yr (in that order). some interesting transfers in other clubs too - Kluivert finally in Premiership? i like him.

Kane was played by Barthez, no?
                          no, it was actually Joe Kucan - his twin brother

Comment

• MPS
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2003

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Oriphus
                              Digital Video Technician
                              Digital Video Technician
                              • Aug 2003

Quality comaprison admin lol

YEah, i definitely hope you are right with your predictions as well as United winning the Champions League. That'd be perfect.

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

Arsenal third? Why do people always underestimate Arsenal. Right before our UNBEATEN season, people predicted that Arsenal would be lucky to grab the fourth Champions League spot, and that Tottenham may end up above us in the table!!

We haven't been third or lower since 1997, unlike some other teams that have been third TWICE in the same period, and another whose best achievement is second.

I am not saying Arsenal will win the league, but I think we stand a good chance, probably better than Chelsea, and certainly as good as United. It all depends on how well Reyes and van Persie can work with Henry.

Comment

Working...