Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dodyskin
    • Aug 2003

most people in manchester can't even afford to watch it on tv

to watch man united matches on the telly live would cost you £358 a year , that being a £1 connection fee( special offer for new customers), £38 for the first month and £29 thereafter for a minimum of one year. to watch matches on a delay would cost you £242 a year, that being a £1 connection fee, £38 for the first month, £12.50 minimum subscription per month and MUTV subscription of £6 per month.
    Only 46.4% of mancunians are in full time employment. 41.8% own their own houses ( compared with 68.9% national average). 69,855 mancunians of working age are living on some form of state benefit, standard rate £42 per week. that is 17.78% of the population of the city of manchester ( not greater manchester county).

if your income is £42 a week or £2184 a year, then you would be spending approx 16% of your income on watching man u. now thats crazy, and you haven't even gotten into the ground yet.
    Last edited by dodyskin; 19 Aug 2003, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Oriphus
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Aug 2003

Yeah that certainly is true. On that stadium note, isnt it strange that it costs £300 million to build a decent stadium in England, yet in Protugal, Sporting Lisbons brand new stadium, which is absolutely amazing, only costs £75 million and holds around the 70,000 figure. I want to know why we pay so much more for a stadium than the rest of the world. Japan and Korea built 28 stadiums between 2000 and 2002. The stadium the final was held in cost $180 Million t build, with the average price being just over $100 Million. We all remember how good those stadiums where. What i want to know is why cant ew do that. Build the New Wembley at a cost which is a fraction of the said cost of £750 million. The tax payers are footing over £200 Million for that stadium. Why?

Anyway, back to Arsenal. The stadium does not to be upgraded for sure, but the fans love the atmosphere of Highbury, basically because they are soo close to the pitch side. When stadiums get too big, it starts to feel like your not even in a match. Old Trafford is the perfect size for a large club, bigger pitches like the Neu Camp are too large in my opinion, though if they bring in the crowds, thats great. Did you know, Man Utd (Old Trafford) was the only stadium to fill to full capacity every game they played there last season, in Europe of course. River PLate also filled to capacity for every game.
      http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Land prices in England are too high. They should come to Australia - you can get yourself a couple of hundred acres for just a couple of bucks here

Building in London is just too expensive. If Highbury could be upgraded to a 60,000 seater stadium, then I think that would be the best solution, but moving to "Ashburton Grove" is a move for the future. Our stadium has great atmosphere, but the pitch is just too small for our type of fast flowing football - Manchester City's Maine Road stadium had a pretty large pitch, as noted by a commentator last season, and Arsenal just loves playing there (9-1 on aggregate in the last 2 games).

Old Trafford is a great ground, and not just because of 8 May 2002 (cue a rendition of "We won the League at Old Trafford ...")

But seriously, Old Trafford is the type of stadium that Arsenal needs - maybe not as big (otherwise it would be even more expensive), but more than just 38,000 seats. Still, it would be sad to leave Highbury ...
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

It would be very sad to leave Highbury. Wimbeldon had a lot of problems when they moved their stadium. Highbury has a lot of History and it would be sad to see it go. IS there no way they can build on what they have at Highbury or are the dimensions to small considering the houses built up around the stadium. I have to agree that Man Utd's 66,000 seater stadium is the perfect size, with the seats up at the very back having a great view as well. I really cant wait till Man Utd vs Arsenal match *dreamin again*

Comment

• gchester
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Feb 2002

man utd man utd man utd man utd man utd man utd

Comment

• gchester
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Feb 2002

at last something other to talk about than Video.. love the united what can i say and that 4-0 drubbin of Bolton was a great way to start the season ronaldo will be F**kin brilliant what a Sub!!! he got to start against the ARSenal jemba jemba playing for the Reserves tonight havent seen the score yet..not impressed yet dont have MUTV only SKYSPORTS NEWS funnily enough im off to australia this week for a year Backpackin etc..its a small world

Comment

• gchester
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Feb 2002

ps will be coming back to this thread if only to shout about the UNITED who needs Beckham when you have the best number 7 in years (apart from Best)

Comment

• Oriphus
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Aug 2003

Good to hear there is another proud supporter of the Great Old Trafford side. England played tonight as well. They were ok. Beckham scored a good penalty, but truthfully he is not missed be the United Team or fans.

Dodyskin, im not sure where you got your figures from, but i know this for sure. To subscribe to sky, its £1 as you sate with the minimum monthly payment of £7.99. With £7.99 subscription you can pay the £6 a month for MUTV. However, most people dont just pay for skysports for the Man Utd matches. I watch all the matches on sky. So if you divide the skysports subscritpion of £31 including the famil pack, into the 10 or 12 matches i watch a week, it works out less than £3 for a Man Utd match!

Comment

• MPS
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2003

wow! a DD forum on soccer - what more can you ask for? i love this forum

Good to hear there is another proud supporter of the Great Old Trafford side
                    ok, so here you have another i'm a massive fan of MU, all the way thru, since they beat Legia Warsaw in 1990/1991's Cup Winner's Cup semifinal. I first noticed this club then. Then the Beckham era, and the new 2003/4 ManU now

also like Real Madrid, Kaiserslautern, Ajax, Parma, Aston Villa and Barcelona

so what's up with MU? US tour with some great results, Charity Shield won, and pissing off Abramovich (luckily MU only agreed to sell Veron) that ****in russian is playing championship manager live in england

Comment

• MPS
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2003

away at newcastle this weekend. i think 2-1 for united.

Comment

• Oriphus
                        Digital Video Technician
                        Digital Video Technician
                        • Aug 2003

Great to see another true Red. I've been a supporter since the same era you started supporting. Im 21 now.

Im guessing more like 3-1 or 4-1. I rate Newcastle as a quality side, but i think they can be defensively weak at times. I have a realy good fealing about Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and Ronaldo the magician playing. Thy up our pace and spread the play quite a bit. It all adds to an already very impressive team. The quality in our side is amazing. Van Nistelroy is the worlds greatest striker!!

Just got an o2 meesage saying that Kleberson should be starting on Saturday for us. Dont you fellas/ladies forget, kick off at 12noon Saturday on Skysports 1. I cant wait

Comment

• MPS
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2003

yup. btw, i'm 23.

van nistelrooy rocks, however i'd like to see kluivert by his side...

hmm... i've just seen an add saying the match is on sky2

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Oh great ... another United fan

Just kidding though, welcome to the discussion ...
                            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MPS
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2003

i got two words for ya admin:
                              One United

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

Yeha - i singed up for that One United. THe membership pack they sent me was amazing. A big thick season review colour booklet. A season preview book. A photograph of the team winning the Premiership, which normally costs £9.99. Pretty good if you ask me.

Also bought the new United Away kit today, it looks great. I dont know if im being a bit premature here, but i got Ronaldo 7 on the back. The reason being is that when i [play footnall i always play in a 7 shirt. I just thought id stick a name on it this time.

Oh dear, poor admin is going to be outnumbered on this thread for sure. Looking forward to some fun at the weekend

ANY ARSENAL FANS HERE??? ADMIN NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT

Comment

Working...