X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

Glad u liked it BOF....didn't mean to confuse you with all the english Ormonde....WOW....that was great!! That means you can get a whole miniseries on a CD...4 hour-long TV shows sans commercials. What software did you use to make the KVCD? That's fantastic!!!! oh....IC....TMPGenc...I wonder if the audio quality is a side effect.
    Last edited by rsquirell; 25 Apr 2004, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

rsquirell........The KVCD are special compression templates for TMPGEnc. If I find the link, I'll post it. Here's what I did:

1. Brought the mpeg 2 into "TMPGEnc DVD Author"; created the VOB structure. I made a compilation of two shows on one DVD.

2. Used DVD Shrink in "Re-Author" mode; used "Start/End" feature to cut out the RFK bit. (Made sure to uncheck "Split VOB Larger Than 1 Gig” so you get a single VOB file)

3. In TMPGEnc, used "Mpeg Tools" to demultiplex the video and audio from VOB file.

4. Used "ffmpeg" to down-sample the Mp2 audio file from 48KHz to 44.1 at 64 KB.

5. Went back to TMPGEnc, loaded the single VOB created from Shrink and chose the KVCD template for mpeg 1. The downside with these templates is that they will create just an m1v or m2v file (silent video), but afterwards you can "Multiplex" back the audio file that you create separately.

It’s a good alternative to Divx, but it would look like crap if played back on a standalone with a good TV. BTW-both "IntlUniv1" and "StPete" played flawlessly on my Divx player.
      Last edited by ormonde; 25 Apr 2004, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

how much did you save by converting the audio? even if the 48000kbps file is twice as large it won't add but a MB to the package. Yeah, I'd like to get my hands on that template.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

OK I found it:

I think the original 48 KHz Mp2 audio file was around 435 MB. When I converted it to 44.1 and down-sampled it to 64 KB (the lowest setting in ffmpeg), I ended up with a 19 MB audio file. The KVCD mpeg m1v file was 156 MB after I encoded it. Remember, if you convert to mpeg 1 from mpeg 2, you have to convert the audio to 44.1 KHz for it to mux correctly.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

BTW-I used the KVCD-ULBR 352x240 NTSCFilm-PLUS template.
            Last edited by ormonde; 25 Apr 2004, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

ok...the video quality seems a little blurry, but the audio is fine. the DVD MPEG2 is 825MB, the VCD is 207MB, the DivX is 92.8 MB and the KVCD is 88.1MB. The differential between the KVCD and DivX is marginal (size wise), but I believe the quality is better than the KVCD (and I did the DivX at highest quality...maybe I could have gotten smaller file if video quality sacrificed. Judge for yourself...here's the KVCD done to your specs...http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=E...C53576CFB14976

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

The Divx is a little smoother, at least how you encoded it. I watched them side-by-side. The audio on the Divx version seems clearer also. Did you sample the audio on the KVCD at 64 KB? Still, there might be a slight advantage to using KVCD because it's mpeg and not Divx, which means you can view it on a conventional standalone-with a TV that has a small screen. I'll do another one later and post it.
                Last edited by ormonde; 26 Apr 2004, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

yep...I sampled at 64....first with ac3...but TMPGenc didn't like the AC3 Dolby , so I did it again with MP2. Has anyone tried matroska or OGG....do they make super small files, too? I normally just mess with the tried and true MPEG2 and MPEG1 VCD's. working with DivX and KVCD has been an eyeopener...but not for saving. For saving I want crystal clear video. But for posting or sending, file size is important.

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

I've messed around with OGM and OGG a little bit, but I'm not that proficient with it. I might have to A-B it against a Divx to see how much of a filesize versus quality comparison there is. The advantage of OGG over Mp3 is you get the same qualitative audio output as Mp3 (maybe even better) but a much smaller filesize, which means you can apply the saved MBs to improve the overall video quality.

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

rsquirell........BTW, there is a documentary coming on in fifteen minutes on Discovery called "Real Saddam" about Saddam's rise to power. I'm all set to capture it....

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

I'd like to see that. I've got a bunch of them....from FDR's betrayal at Pearl Harbor to a PBS piece on the Builderburgers/trilateral commison/federal reserve...and nuclear spies, the cambridge five. Nowadays the jfk theories are all old hat...unless you'd like to see the LBJ dun it theory. That was a new twist...had to wait til the players died.

Comment

• ormonde
                          Digital Video Explorer
                          • Dec 2003

If you missed it, I'll post it in KVCD or Divx.

Comment

• rsquirell
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Feb 2003

Do it. I saw one last year on him...but this might be different.

Comment

• ormonde
                              Digital Video Explorer
                              • Dec 2003

rsquirell.........here is the "Real Saddam" program from Discovery. I did another KVCD. This one is 180 MB.

Comment

• rsquirell
                                Digital Video Master
                                Digital Video Master
                                • Feb 2003

That was a good one. The audio was a tad weak, again...maybe my KVCD had better audio because I used MP2 instead of the MP1 on this one. If I recall, the only options I had in my ffmpeg were ac3 and mp2...perhaps why my KVCD was only slightly smaller than the DivX. I tried downloading last night....but the speed was only 24kbps...so I waited untilthis morning when there was less usage...and got it at 125kbps. Interesting film.

Comment

Working...