Pros & Cons of PCs vs MACs (school help)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gd_nimrod
    • Nov 2002

Pros & Cons of PCs vs MACs (school help)

If you have even any general ideas which could help me out for an Information Technology assignment due for school i would be VERY helpful!

All im asking for (if youre knowledgeable in this field, and chances you ARE since youre on DD and browsing the forum ) is a few pointers you might have about my options a bit further down:

As an IT consultant, you have been approached by the faculty to decide what kinds of computers are needed for the 2nd floor computer lab.

Basically, i need to choose 3 alternatives as to what PCs we should buy for our new lab at McGill U.

I was thinking of going with PCs (windows) vs PCs (Linux) vs MACs. Alternatively, i could do Windows vs Linux vs Laptops (Windows).

Anyone have any options or considerations on what i could argue with using windows vs linux or windows vs apple computers?

Ultimately, i plan on choosing that PCs with linux is the most efficient option, but i could come to any conclusion i want. And buget is not an issue
    Last edited by gd_nimrod; 29 Nov 2006, 11:34 AM.
    Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

hmm, you should make up your mind about what software you will defintely need to run or for what purposes these machines will be used.

in terms of cost-efficiency: pc + linux seems promising
    in terms of compatibility: pc + windows xp seems best from my p-o-v

when considering apple stay away from any "tight" case like imac or mac mini.

i had to exchange a s-ata harddrive in one of our imcas only recently because the drive was dying (due to the massive heat i swear)

newer macs with intel cpu will let you run os x as well as most window stuff (even without using bootcamp to be able to install windows).

software like "parallels desktop" or "crossover" let you install windows software in sort of an emulation mode

when thinking about pc + linux make sure to be familiar with linux (and i dont mean being able to simply install ubuntu/kubuntu)

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

When I checking into going to school for animated graphics I was told I would need to have a MAC, that is what they tought on for stuff like that.

Everyone that I know personally that is really into animated grahics and graphic design all use a MAC they claim that the mac is better and more articulate to things like that.

I never did buy one though still on a PC, the only people I know that still buy them are really into graphics and or photography.

I am into the photography but photoshop runs on PC too.

I would think that unless you are going for a career in animations or anything in that field. You may want to stay with a pc , with a mac you become limited with games and software.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...