• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

Tornado

We got slammed last night. The power went out around 6:30PM Saturday and did not come come back on until around 6:30 AM Sunday. If anyone wants to see footage go to myfoxchicago dot com. They have some amazing footage of the damage, it hit very close to the house..
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

I listen to 720 AM (WGN) frequently during the overnights; Brian Noonan was talking about the storms last night. Sounds like some major nasty weather. Where I live in PA, we don't see that sort of thing too often. (Thank Goodness!)

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

Hope things are OK doc.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Our power's been out for a few hours (we got a generator a few months ago, and now it pays off!), and the Internet recently died... (Using my Verizon phone as a modem)

Apparently power's out to half the state of Michigan... all because of a 15 minute storm. I guess whatever you guys had got over here now... they spotted a tornado about an hour from me.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Kabuchan
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Apr 2006

Hope you both make it through okay ...
          That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

I'm okay, unfortunately my school got its power back

Our power is still "out" as I woke up to the sound of the generator... and there are still downed lines everywhere. Being the only home with power in the neighborhood feels good though
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

Everything is fine, I will take some photos tomorrow of the damage, and post them later. I will post the pictures after work.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

I took a few pictures too... there was a tree that fell on top of a power line and blocked off the road to get to my house! (And it's still down, though we got our power back... weird)

The Internet is still down from my house, so I don't know when I can post the pictures.

I still don't get why underground cables are affected by rainstorms... WideOpenWest is the ONLY cable company in the area to be out, and even my friends with WOW have their service... so 2 days with no service, and that's not "quality service" as far as I'm concerned... they tell me they have "technicians working as we speak" but every other outage was fixed within a couple hours.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

Hey doctorhardware,
                  I feel your pain there. We have been just getting rolled with the worst storms ever here too. Many tornado touch downs, tree up rooted home and towns gone! Lakes gone from massive flooding. Mother nature is sure showing here force and furry here too.

So far we have made it through ok we didnt loose our power like the many thousands of people did for weeks. And so far no water in the basement or any other part of our home. We got lucky! We were missed by 3 twisters that hit close to home again we got lucky!

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• doctorhardware
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2006

Glad you made it through photo angel and hopefully you can stay dry. No more rain for a while. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                      Glad you made it through photo angel and hopefully you can stay dry. No more rain for a while. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
                      Toes crossed too! LOL

I found a video someone shot at Frame Park this park is 2 blocks from my home. This is MY neighborhood.

The Fox River flooded. Turns out cops don't like it when they tell you not to go any further, then you do, repeatedly. Oh well.

And My home stayed Dry.

Comment

• ipaulo
                        • Apr 2006

I'm sorry to hear of all of your mishaps, glad to hear everyone is OK.

photo was that a park that had no water to begin with, meaning that there was no small lake to start with.

I'm afraid that it's going to take things of this nature to wake up our people and government. I personally feel that global warming is real. The U.S. is the number one contributor to this massive problem.

Has anyone seen The 11th Hour with Leonardo Decaprio. I feel this is a must see for everyone on the planet. It scared the heck out of me. Please if you have not seen this movie yet, make it a point to and share it with others.

Here are some clips, sorry that you have to sit through the ads.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by ipaulo
                          photo was that a park that had no water to begin with, meaning that there was no small lake to start with.

Frame Park is a park on a water front. It on a normal day is along the shore lines of the Fox River. However before the floods the river water was about 150 yards or so from the park itself with the exception of the River Walk; which is a stone walk way about 20 feet from the waters edge. The park is HUGE though and before the waters edge there is a steep hill much like a mote so for the water to rise high enough to fill the entire park and go over the bridges that run over it the water has to rise over some 40 feet high. In picture A I tried to show where on a normal day the water would be seen. It is hard to explain but as you can see in this photo that I took some days after the initial flooding the water was still over land and you can just barely see the rot Irion gates and railings that stand about 5 feet tall on dry land. (Which in this photo they are almost entirely under water.)

The days that the water was at the highest point I was unable to take any pictures there as the police keep people from getting that close. I was surprised to find that video on the internet of that same area. Just a few days before I shot this photo the water was so high that the bridge you see there was also 100% under water. The water extended out over 2 city bocks on both sides of the river which is homes and businesses underwater except the 2nd floor and the roof tops. The thing that is scary though is this river has been known to rise in severe weather with heavy rains bur never to the point of flooding over like it did this June. In fact the water have never been known in years past to even reach the iron gates let a lone go over the tops of them. I will take some pictures later on in a few weeks when the water is at the normal level where you will be able to see the real difference.

That park (Frame Park ) that is shown in that video has never in all of the 38 years that I have been alive have ever filled with water not even a little water, as the waters edge is too far away from that park area for that to happen until now.
                          This flood actually began in the winter when we got dumped with so much snow. Once that final last snow melted the ground was so soaked like a sponge with too much water, so when the rains began there was no place for that water to go or drain. This caused the lakes to over fill and the river waters to rise. After the massive storm belt moved in from June 5th – June 13th the levies and the dams on some large lakes gave way- they then emptied out into the rivers. Which then fed into smaller rivers and steams. Until it all reached a point where the river couldn’t hold it and over flow began and towns and cities became lakes. The Fox River is a very long river that runs through 3 states it is not a very deep or wide river but very long and winding and connected to many other rivers that are connected to over lakes it is all a big Dominos effect. The Fox runs through Minnesota state, Wisconsin state and Illinois state. As this river runs down to IL State it is flowing down hill as the land becomes lower and lower the more south you go. Areas that boarder IL State and northern IL it is common for flooding. The shocker this time was the area up here by me and even further North West were flooded. These are areas that NEVER flood. Our law enforcement and rescuer teams are simply not prepared for natural events this catastrophic. Since we never flood like this we don’t have any place to get sand bags and things like that. By the time sand bags were trucked into the area the water was already here. And for some days the water was continuing to rise by the hour. The water should be all gone by now but the rains keep coming.
                          We have not had 1 full week this year so far that it didn’t rain for at least 6 or 7 hours.
                          They say with the global warming effect that storms will increase with intensity as time goes by and we are seeing that all over the world not just here.

Comment

• ipaulo
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks PA, now I understand. Its almost unbelievable. I hope the rains stop and give your area a break.

How about moving out to Southern CA? Though last month there were tornado reports in Riverside County, which is about 30 minutes from me (with no traffic). Something that I never heard of in this part of the country.

By the way have you seen the 11th Hour yet?

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

The only problem with CA it burns too much durring the summer.

Comment

Working...