• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vaughn
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2002

swimming blockyness?

Even though i am encoding over 2CD's i still struggle with blocks that seems to be alive in the background, usually on darker indoor scenes like on a wall or in animate objects. My codec is divx 5.02 (pro) and i use gknot .26 with 2 pass encoding and common resolutions i use are 544 x 240, 540 x 336 etc. Has anyone else been able to overcome this?
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

What is your bitrate you are using

Comment

• Vaughn
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2002

It varies of course depending on the length of movie however i am usually between 1300 - 1700.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

maybe it has to do with your playback filter/settings?

i prefer postprocessing set to the max - do you have any enabled?

Comment

• Vaughn
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jan 2002

My rips are viewed on a GeForce 4 Ti42000 card that is on a clone setting so the output is seen on a 19" RCA TV via S-video cable. Also under the video card performance settings my hardware accerlation is set to full.

I use Bsp player as a rule and under tools/divx settings i have maxed out the postprocessing contoll.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

could you provide a screenshot of those flaws?

i canhardly believe that you should experience any such problems with that bitrate you mentioned and max. postprocessing settings.

maybe the problem is driver related!?

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Generally make sure the resolutions you use are a multiple of 16.

Do these "swimming blocks" manifest themselves only when you play your rip on your televsion using the TV-OUT function? Or are they evident on your PC monitor as well?

What is your source: hybrid? progressive? interlaced? You may need to make some adjustments.

Are you using q-pel and/or GMC (use of these features may cause problems)?

Comment

• Vaughn
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jan 2002

These swimming blocks are visible both on the TV & monitor. As far as the source most rips i have done are progressive with the odd one being interlaced and some hybrids. I have always used bi-directional encoding and gmc, however quater pixels i have not enabled and pychovisual enh. is none. (standard pro settings). Would adjusting these settings help and under what circumstances?

When i i capture a jpeg and view it the blocks do not seem very noticalbe at all. I am wondering if the video card is too blame? I have heard some talk that the ATI cards (like the 9100) have improved graphics and divx movies look smoother. Perhaps...

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Try encoding without GMC.

You might want to try and update your video card drivers.

Comment

Working...