Basic Guide How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • src2206
    • Jan 2007

I tried both DivX and XviD and I have both the codecs installed.

Moreover can this program handle x264 video and if it can do I need the codec to be installed to allow it to convert?
    In case I need to install the codec, please give me the link to download.

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

For x264, AVC MP4, I would like to recommend you to download the ffdshow and Haali's Matroska Splitter from the link below:

Regards

Comment

• SimonM
        • Mar 2007

Hey Ben and everyone. Thanks for taking the time to write the guide. I have a very simple query that i could not find the answer to after reading through all 11 pages of posts.

I'm trying to convert a 80mb wmv file to DVD but when I hit go it tells me I need 9Gb of space. This seems a bit extreme for such a small file. Sorry if this is an obvious question but how do I make the output smaller?

I've turned off the 'Make Iso' option on the output screen and chose the HCEnc encoder. Audio Bitrate is set to 320.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

• niko381
          • Apr 2007

Hi, could someone please help me out? (Because I NEED this DVD by tomorrow!)
          I followed all of the directions in this guide, and succeded in making a DVD. I burned it with Disc Juggler, and when I encountered this problem failed again with DVD Decrypter. The problem is that whenever I burn a DVD image and put it into my DVD player, the audio is very messed up. First of all, it is extremely quiet, and also it sounds warped. Also the .avi file sounds perfect on my computer.
          Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-Niko

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi Niko,

You are not very clear about the problem that you are having ... but do this, it might solve your problem ...

1) Use GSpot to get your current Original AVI's attributes ... settings.

2) When converting keep it simple and not too many changes from the original AVI setting.

3) Convert using either HcEnc or QuEnc

4) Get the ***.ISO file

5) Burn this Image ISO file using "ImgBurn 2.3.0.0" ... which is a freeware ... but accepts "Donations" ... it is a bullet-proof method of burning an ISO. It is made by the Author of DVDDecrypter.

You should be able to have anice DVD now that is compliant and will play.

G!

Comment

• sapje321
              • Jul 2007

i have an avi i've had wrongly timed audio on when i burned it before with other programs (something wrong with the conversion) that include DVDflick. hopefully this program won't do that (the avi has perfect audio timing). any people can guarantee me audio timing? and, which files should i burn to the DVD in the end? with nero? (i have nero 5) or img burn? (if so, please give me a link for img burn) or anything else?
              Last edited by sapje321; 22 Jul 2007, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

some avi's may play fine but because of errors they are harder to convert and keep the audio in sycn

I am testing the new dvd flick beta

includes imgburn already, I don't burn until I test the result tho

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
                  some avi's may play fine but because of errors they are harder to convert and keep the audio in sycn

I am testing the new dvd flick beta

includes imgburn already, I don't burn until I test the result tho
                  I gave this one a try with no luck so far it never changes the avi to anything but avi and always fails and stops right before finished.

I wonder if there is a bug with the beta I am going to see if there is an older version and see if that will work.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

@ Chewy ... What is the "Major" difference between last Stable DVDFlick 1.2.1.4 and this BETA version 1.2.2.0?

Q1: Does it Encode any faster than before?

And how did you get your hands on the Beta Version ... you must be well-liked and have connections!!!

Thanks,

G!

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

DVDFlick 1.2.1.4
                      was a mistake in the script, and should have been pulled from the download page, use the beta

Comment

• Zarley09
                        "You have done well, my apprentice"
                        • Apr 2008

Originally Posted by benbryant
                        OK, with the original file still loaded with VirtualDubMod, please press Streams and select Stream list. When the Available streams dialog opens, right-click the source file and select "Full processing mode", right-click the file again and choose "Compression", select "No compression (PCM)", and then click OK. Please save the file and try with Avi2dvd again

Regards
                        I have done all of this but I still am unable to get an "audiostream"

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

Might be easier to start your own new thread Zarley, describing exactly what you have and what your problem is.

Also, try using DVD Flick.

Regards
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Zarley09
                            "You have done well, my apprentice"
                            • Apr 2008

I need Help!!

Ok I have a problem getting the "audiostream" on Avi2DVD to be availiable...I have tried everything

Comment

• MintyMadness
                              • Apr 2008

Hi, I found this thread using Google searching for "avi2dvd dvd will not play."

I have read through this thread, and while my situation is simliar, I think I have some special circumstance.

My company made an anniversary video, to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. the file format on that video is .wmv. I used Camtasia Studio to convert it to AVI (uncompressed video and audio.) The file size is 14gb.

I then used guides and how-to's to plug it into avi2dvd, and have been able to produce an iso image file and everything else. My issue comes with when I go to play that DVD, it will not play. It just opens the disc in win dows explorer.

When I use DVDFlik, everything works fine.

I should mention that I created a DVD Menu with the option to play the movie (start button) and then different chapter buttons (15 different clips from employees, each employee's clip is a chapter.) I had to use the "seconds" chapter setting not minutes, as the entire video is only 8.5 minutes long.

I can post screenshots of my setup. I was using the HCEnc encoder.

Computer spec'd @:
                              Dell Precision 390
                              Inteal C2Q Q6600 @ 2.66
                              4GB DDR2-667
                              Nvidia Quadro Fx (256MB)
                              dual 15K Raptors in Raid 1 ( i think.. maybe raid 0)

Thanks for any help or input you can provide.

-Jeremy

EDIT: I also do know how to burn an ISO file. I have tried Nero 8 Ultra, as well as imgburn wit hteh same results. Just opens the CD in windows explorer with the TS_VIDEO and TS_AUDIO folders

Comment

• MintyMadness
                                • Apr 2008

really.. ? Seriously? no replies? man.. I was really hoping their would be at least one here. Sorry for posting in an old thread =\

-Jeremy

Comment

Working...