My opinion exactly.

Thanks.

Duke

Comment

• Oriphus
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Aug 2003

Come one - no one is seriously going to try and tell me they think that a Princo disc is a better/same disc than a Ritek one??? Thats just laughable
      http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

It was only 2 years ago that Ri tek was a big joke at dvdrhelp (think it was called vcdus or something else then) and other sites, as an el cheapo disc. So, too was Verbatim and Memorex.

Memorex now is one of the better discs.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

Um...2 Years ago, Ritek was called Ritek and were never a big joke. Not sure what dvdrhelp was on about. A few years ago, Ritek bought the highest quality CD manufacturer, Traxdata, and have always had the very highest of quality control. The only reason that Princo actually broke onto the scene was because they managed to manufacture some very poor discs very quickly and get them distributed, whereas Ritek spent a long time testing discs from every batch they produced before shipping them.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

As to Ritek's buying best cd disc maker, Ford bought a UK carmaker (or a large portion of it), and I haven't seen plush leather seats and handmade Ford cars since then.

The Ritek G03 and '04 spec. the same as the Princo's do at the same price, don't they? I really haven't seen a big difference in price. They're both less than $1.00 ea. (100 or more) and Ritek special at meritline offers free shipping. So, Ritek is cheaper.

Neither Princo nor Ritek are $5.00 Pioneer DVD blanks, so what the hey? They are both cheap at less than $1.00US each. And neither are the quality of the $5.00 discs. Whichever works, that's what it's all about. And they both work.

And, yes, 2 years ago, Ritek was a joke when high quality DVD blank discs were @ ~ $10.00 US ea..
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Oriphus
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Aug 2003

Im afraid i definitely disagree. Ritek and Princo are not comparable in quality. You may be thinking of the cheaper unbranded media of each, but take a Princo Branded disc and a RiDATA/Traxdata/Ritek branded (All the same brand really) disc and you will notice a big difference in quality. Do a few transfer and speed tests on burnt discs under the same conditions.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Aahh, but that is how to measure, which is by their baser efforts.
                Rig :

Comment

• thedukehasyou
                  • Feb 2004

Dear Oriphus.

I had not seen this kind of behavior since my visits to gaming forums a while back.

You have an opinion, I have an opinion. That's fine by me.

Just don't call me laughable please. If you absolutely need to ridiculize others opinion to raise your personnal confidence, there are other specialized forums for that.

You seem to be in luck with Ritek. That's fine too. Are you going to call me stupid because, so far, I have been in luck with almost a quarter of a million Princos?

By the way, Quality' Proof. I did such a speed test measure and even if Verbatim has slightly higher test results, the price difference doesn't justify me buying them.

For me, Princo do the job.

I am so happy for you that Ritek do it too.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

Well, folks, I did the spec.'s analysis, before I burned that first disc. I mostly use the TDK, Memorex and the various generics. I don't waste my time and effort by being "brand" loyal, I look at the bottom line, which is the spec.'s and write supported speeds. I aim at the ~ center for player compatibility and if the formula calls for a $1.25 disc, then, that's what I buy. If the formula is alright with a $0.60 disc, then that's okay, too. Really, a blank DVD is only a container and they are all made of plastic and dye. So what if one co.'s dye costs 1/10th of a cent more per disc? Everybody should understand that these discs, for many persons, are only temporary storage containers until, the marketers put out something different, for us to spend our money on (blue-ray, etc.). BTW, the spec.'s are what the DVD Forum admits.
                    Rig :

Comment

• Oriphus
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Aug 2003

Dear Oriphus.

I had not seen this kind of behavior since my visits to gaming forums a while back.
                      Someone needs to get off their high horse. My comments arent directed at you, there are merely a statement directed at the forum in generall. maybe you should get back to burning your 1800 DVD's a week.......

Quality's Proof: You see my point was that the lesser of both type, the unbranded etc, are not discs that Ritek will claim as their own manfactured discs. They will, in fact, only claim the branded discs of Arita (cheapest disc), RiDATA, traxdata and Ritek branded. There are discs that are manufactured OEM by Ritek, such as the Clone Disc and others that they will also claim. However, i get sent media from various companies and organisations to test and so far, the princo's are all falling far short of the Ritek. In fact RiDATA and Traxdata and even the Ritek brand, all perform excellently and at a decent price. I will admit that the Pioneer 4x media is flawless, obviously depending on the system its being burnt on, but not justified in the price/quality difference.

Back to my friend thedukehasyou, I suppose you find the time to test your 1800 discs each week in more than 10 different DVD players and check response times etc...

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

Oriphus,

The point you seem to have missed is that TheDukeHasYou and Quality's Proof have their own formulas for extremely high player compatibility, irregardless of the media brand (as long as they are decent (not missing dye, etc.)). That is why we do not disagree about the back-up process, as we both know that each has a highly compatible formula from reading some posts each has made. The media is only a part of the compatibility problem and the $0.60 discs are close to being as effective as Princo and Ritek are. Neither Princo or Ritek are anything to really brag about, their discs can be bought for less than $1.00 ea (100 or more).

Whether Ritek claims its produce or not, still that is how any manufacturer is measured, their cheapest disc. If something is worth doing, then it is worth doing well or not at all.
                        Rig :

Comment

• Oriphus
                          Digital Video Technician
                          Digital Video Technician
                          • Aug 2003

Ritek will disagree with you. Take for example a Datasafe Branded Ritek. Who manufacturers it? It uses the Ritek dye, but do Ritek manufacture it? No. When speaking to the marketing manager of the distributors of Ritek, he stated that Datasafe branded quality was a lot less than Ritek manufactured discs. You seem to think there isnt a big difference between these discs. There is! Also, you do not measure the quality of the G04 dye, or in fact a Ritek disc, solely by its poorest quality disc (Arita), thats just not right. You measure it by its premium high quality discs.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Jan 2004

Real World, Oriphus? The usual workplace :

Worker does good work and gets many an "atta boy" (praise)..

Worker screws up one time and all those "atta boys" don't exist, as worker is summarily fired.
                            Rig :

Comment

• dixie
                              • Jan 2004

Interesting discussion you boys are having. I use Princo because they are the cheapest here in OZ. I read with a pioneer and burn with a liteon and have no trouble. Most other brands that I have seen here are just too expensive. I have no problems with them either so will stick with them.

Comment

• thedukehasyou
                                • Feb 2004

Orifus

I give a return garantee on what I burn.

I can't afford to test them all.

But thanks for asking.

Duke

Comment

Working...