• Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

Yeah, thats more like it
    no, its not

ricoh is NOT mitsubishi chemicals but maybe verbatim now uses ricoh

i was just wondering, because this is the first time i hear verbatim does not show a code like this: MCC002 or MCC A01

which tool did you use to read the media code?

dvdinfo is quite nice: http://www.dvdinfopro.com/
    Last edited by UncasMS; 18 Sep 2003, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• solara
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2003

I used this program which only works on drives which can retrieve the ADIP, and only works on +R/+RW.

Like I said, both the Memorex 4x and the Verbatim 2.4x +R
      were identified as Ricohs. They both came from spindle-type packages.

Is it true that Riteks make most of Ricohs?

Comment

• leofitz
        • Aug 2003

I choose Arita 2.4x and 4x discs over all others. Their cheap and never let me down. No issues with compatiblity. I only bought Ritek once and they were fine but Aritas are cheaper. I get them from www.dvd-and-media.com As for princo, to many bad reviews to chance them.

Comment

• Oriphus
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Aug 2003

www.dvd-and-media.com is one of the best places to get DVD's in the UK. I use their Clone Disc Ritek because they are one of 3 official ritek suppliers in the UK.
          http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• leofitz
            • Aug 2003

I agree with you about www.dvd-and-media.com and they are the cheapest for delivery for me as I am based in Ireland and so are they!!!
            I will give Ritek another go as I used to use Clonedisc +r discs untill they stopped supplying them.

Comment

• NobbyNobbs
              • Aug 2003

Verbatim do not only use mitsubishi chemicals (MCC) discs, they now also use CMC (have five 2.4 DVD+RW's to prove it.)

The RW's show perfect in Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

I've just upgraded the firmware on my NEC 1300 to 1.7 which stipulates support for Princo. The outcome?
                Can't get past sector 16 in burning in TMPGEnc DVD Author although Packard Bell -RW works fine.

Nice one NEC!!
                This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• tveith
                  • Aug 2003

When I was a newbie, not knowing any better, I wasted my cash on Princo DVD-R disks. Every DVD backup I burned skipped or locked up on my home and PC DVD players. I was literally pulling my hair out thinking there was a problem with my burner or software. Then I read the forums and did some research and tried Memorex and Maxell blanks...naturally, these worked flawlessly. I have now made over 50 backups without one coaster.

Memorex and Maxell are quite inexpensive and do the job well. Verbatim are far too expensive for my tastes. And needless to say, my Princo disks are now collecting dust, being used for data from time to time.

Comment

• discdokter2
                    • Oct 2003

Maybe I'm lucky

I seem to have had good luck with Princo discs. I have burned about 10 dvd's so far, and they all work in every dvd player i have tried( 5 different brands). I don't know what the long term viability of the discs is, but in my case, I don't expect these discs to last forever. Is it possible that, the problems that some people have had with Princo could be related to the software they are using to write the discs? I know, when i first started, i didn't select iso 9660 and my discs would only play on an RCA DVD player.

Comment

• tveith
                      • Aug 2003

With the Princo disks, I tried using several different software packages and got the same results. I used DVDXCopy Gold, and Xpress. Then I tried DVDShrink. I even tried using different burning software. Nothing worked!! All of my burns played about 70 minutes and then locked up and started skipping.

As soon as I tried Verbatim, Maxell, and Memorex disks, my copies worked flawlessly. So to put it bluntly, Princo sucks!!

Comment

• sfheath
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Sep 2003

I tried TMPGEnc DVD Author on Princo - never even got to burn sector 16 AND NEC reckons the new 1300 firmware supports it!!

Sucks is too good a word!
                        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Orlando
                          • Mar 2003

Maybe if people could mention the DVD-R drive they're using we could see if it's the princo media that's garbage, or if it's only certain drives that are having problems. I've been using the Pioneer 105, and it's been working just fine with the Princo media.

Comment

• tveith
                            • Aug 2003

I use the Pioneer A06.

Comment

• thedukehasyou
                              • Feb 2004

Ritek May be better than Princos.

But I burn 1800 DVDs a week and can't afford the price difference.

I don't really care if I have to reburn a few of them...

I have an A06 from Prioneer too...

Ciao

Duke

All is in the firmware

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                                Digital Video Master
                                Digital Video Master
                                • Jan 2004

Interesting, but I've seen Riteks spoken of very badly at some other forums.

I've also noticed that the burner/burning software/speed of burn is usually the decisive criterion in most compatible media burns. There are way too many people using both Ritek and Princo and having very good results with each for media specific problem (unless a bad batch or very el cheapo sub-label).

Anybody who's burned several 100's DVD's does know that when people complain of TDK or Memorex DVD-R's as incompatible, that it ain't the media (unless a "rare" batch). Usually (not always), the cheaper media has a failure rate 2X to 4X the failure rate of medium quallity discs.
                                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...