X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sillyme
    • Feb 2005

Re: To sillyme

Originally posted by setarip
    "I'm very, very nervous that I might lose a heap of this material due to this problem."

Why would you have such a worry? You always have the original, commercial DVDs that you purchased...
    This material isn't ripped movies... it is a large collection of family DVD's etc that have been edited from DV tape from a digital recorder, then burned as DVD.

I wouldn't be concerned about Hollywood trash.
    Cheers
    Sillyme.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

You: "I've been backing up DVD's for some time now"

Your relative, "Shock&Awe": "it only happens when playing DVDRs not originals."

So, if I understand correctly, you DO have the original (good) DVDs, that you're having difficulty duplicating?

If so, there's still no reason for excessive fretting about "losing" any material. You'll eventually get your dilemma resolved and be able to continue backing up your DVDs...
      Last edited by setarip; 21 Feb 2005, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• sandman
        • Feb 2005

Hi,
        I tried it with one. I removed the label and it seemed to work. I wish i had known earlier. i have 250 DVD's already labeled. Way too much work to go back. Thanks for the help. Still, i prefer to have disks labeled. Someone mentioned a thinner label and was having success with it. Any info on that?

Comment

• reboot
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2004

Remove the labels and your program will go away.
          LOL!
          My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Thanks for noticing that reboot. lol

Comment

• sandman
              • Feb 2005

Does anyone know of any label or labeling system that can be used On DVD's that will not cause skipping or pixellating?

thx
              Sandman

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To sandman

You are "hijacking" someone else's thread.

Please re-post your question as a "New Thread" - and delete this one...

Comment

• sillyme
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by setarip
                  You: "I've been backing up DVD's for some time now"

Your relative, "Shock&Awe": "it only happens when playing DVDRs not originals."

So, if I understand correctly, you DO have the original (good) DVDs, that you're having difficulty duplicating?
                  Yes and no!
                  Yes we have originals of any DVD movies that we back up. We have toddlers around the house and having more than one copy is comforting. That isn't the problem.

The problem is the (about 70 odd) DVD's that have been created from original video tape (analogue and digital) of family events going back many years.
                  I copied them onto DVD because it was supposed to be 'permanent' storage.
                  Many (most) of the tapes have been recorded over or are now gone.
                  This is the material I'm now having problems with.

Some DVD's (even the older Princo etc) play perfectly, others, including the Ritek Ridata discs freeze at various stages, mainly towards the end.

The movies are the same... some play no problem others (most)don't.

There have been posts suggesting I remove the labels from the DVD's and all will be OK.

I don't now, nor ever have stuck labels on my DVD's so that definately isn't the issue.

As mentioned, I have 5 DVD players at home and the problem manifests itself on them all. There doesn't seem to be one that is immune to the freezing (perhaps slightly less on my Toshiba Tecra laptop).

I lent my son a copy of a Wiggles DVD (yes we have the original) and he couldn't get it to play on either of his.

I lent my neighbour some episodes of the Soprano's (I guess illegally recorded from TV) and it froze on his Sony but plays on all but the Pioneer of mine.

Anyway... I appreciate all your input and thank you but there obviously isn't a simple solution.

I guess I'll just have to wait for a more stable storage solution sometime in future. In the meantime I'll try to salvage the crappy mess I now have.

Sillyme

Comment

• sandman
                    • Feb 2005

Setarip,

I have no idea what you're talking about. I was simply following up on a previous question. i apologize for my inexperience. Some simple direction will suffice.

Comment

• com284
                      • Aug 2004

Labels

Ok im using Memorex Labels. After i read the stuff about removing the labels. I tried it on 2 DVD's and it worked. I also noticed that the DVD's that i removed the complete labels off of had the center part still attached to it. I hope you know what i mean. Anyway on another dvd that i was having freezing problems, i just removed the center portion of the label and it worked. I have done this on 2 DVD's now and no problems, so maybe its just the center part of the label that you can remove and not the whole label. Has anyone had this problem?? Maybe it has something to with the weight of the DVD while its spinning inside and the center throws it off. we all know how sensitive our DVD players are..

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To sandman

I believe I've already provided you with "some simple direction", when I stated:

Please re-post your question as a "New Thread" - and delete this one...

"Hijacking" refers to the fact that this thread was started by "sillyme", regarding a topic that has nothing to do with labels...

Comment

• sandman
                          • Feb 2005

Setarip.
                          YEs - I read your message. Since I am new at this, the direction that I was asking for was on how to delete and start a new Thread. Your sarcastic come back was really not required. You are definetely "NOT Cool". The original posting was about DVD's skipping and Freezing up. Similar to "silly me's" proplem. Removing labels was a possible solution given by "Jmet". So you see, the topic was related.
                          You must be the "keeper of the Threads", although I'm not sure why. But as the keeper, "setarip", there's no reason to be "uncool". "SO Chill".

Thanks for the response, Com284.
                          Take note Setarip.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

To sandman

"Your sarcastic come back was really not required."

My posts to you include not an iota of sarcasm. I can only surmise that you are (perhaps due to being a new poster here) overly sensitive.

The entirety of your most recent post to this thread is fairly rude and unappreciated.

Hopefully, the remainder of this thread will, once again, be directed to the original poster's ("sillyme") area of concern.

Bye...

Comment

• sandman
                              • Feb 2005

Like I said.. Definetely "NOT COOL".

I apologize to "sillyme". The intention was not to take the focus off your problem. I hope that you find a solution soon. Good luck.

Comment

• sillyme
                                • Feb 2005

No apology required Sandman.
                                I too am new to these forums, without experience it's easy to unintentionally stuff up protocol.

Thanks to you too Setarip, it's obvious that you take this very seriously and it's people like you that help we mere mortals out of our dilema's.

Please note that I for one really appreciate everyone's positive contribution.

Thanks
                                Sillyme

Comment

Working...