Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slashdot
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Experi-Mentor
    my method (which has never failed me), is to rip/backup the copy i made to the hdd only. if that fails, then you can assume that it was a bad burn, then you can narrow it down to the blank media being inferior (not holding data well), compatibility problem between burner & blanks, or something simple as burning at a lower speed (try 2x or 4x)
    I usually use Memorex or Fujifilm media with my burner. I don't know if that is the most compatible with my burner, but I have an off brand burner...and I refuse to use the same off brand media!

I had not even tried burning at a slower speed. I usually use 8X media...I will see what happens when I slow it down to 2X or 4X. Thanks for that info. I keep forgetting the days when I first started burning CD's and had to do some of these same things!

Since I am still a bit of a n00b at burning movies (only had my burner for about 2 months now), I would assume that this is something that I will work out over time. I'm truly thinking the problem lies with something I was doing wrong when I first started burning movies. I still have yet to figure out what it was...but maybe I will someday!

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

You can try Vstrip. Not the easiest tool to use but has worked for me when shrink and decrypter failed on copied dvd's. It literally rips the dvd sector by sector. www.doom9.org has a good guide on how to use Vstrip.

Comment

• slashdot
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tigerman8u
        You can try Vstrip. Not the easiest tool to use but has worked for me when shrink and decrypter failed on copied dvd's. It literally rips the dvd sector by sector. www.doom9.org has a good guide on how to use Vstrip.
        Oh wow...thank you much! I will def try that out.

I'll let you know the results!

Comment

• amaru
          • Jan 2004

Don't ever try on the fly copying. It is just a coaster waiting to happen.
          i've done SEVERAL using nero, liteon to read and pioneer to burn, usually at 12x, and only coaster when i have a bad source.
          P4 3.0 @ 3.6
          PC3200 Corsair Value Select OC'd
          to 240

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

If your getting CRC errors try dvd decrypter and see

Comment

• GiantWaffle
              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by blutach

Don't ever try on the fly copying. It is just a coaster waiting to happen.

ROTFLMAO !
              <rotflmao !="">
              That was good. </rotflmao>

Comment

• VinceUTAH
                • Jul 2005

On the fly copying is no problem as long as the two drives are not master and slave on the same line.

Comment

• sparkyspark
                  • Jul 2005

Copying Copies

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Sugest you try your Dvd with Nero CD-DVD Speed for mastering errors first, download free diagnostic tool at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
                  <!-- / message -->

Comment

• phoenix
                    • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by VinceUTAH
                    On the fly copying is no problem as long as the two drives are not master and slave on the same line.
                    I don't agree.

I have my Plextor burner set as master and my Sony reader as slave and I have not faced any problems with this setup.

We are dealing with rather slow speeds, so I shouldn't be a problem as long as both is running in DMA mode.
                    The Phoenix bird builds its nest which at the same time is its funeral pyre, and then setting it alight cremates itself. But it arises anew from the ashes transformed.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

Even 4x is 5MB/s, and that's pushing the envelope where drives cache is so
                      small and the drives are sharing an ide cable. I have never gotten a copy on the fly
                      8x burn to work as fast as just an 8x burn FROM HARD DRIVE. ALL MY DRIVES ARE STANDALONE MASTERS!
                      I did have a coaster this last year with good media, source disk had a fingerprint.

Comment

• blutach
                        Not a god of digital video
                        • Oct 2004

I do think OTF copying is a risk folks. But it's your media and time

Regards
                        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

it's down right crazy is what it is......
                          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                          Columbo moments...
                          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2003

if you're gone to do a one to one copy let your software cache the file/s to your hard drive 1st

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

I have done an exhaustive study on this today with 4 boxes, each point of view in
                              this discussion has merits. Problematic movies, media, and software seem to be
                              the primary cause of coasters. A good movie processed with shrink3.2 and burned
                              with good media at slow speed(4x) yields a 100% success rate for Copying on the fly.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

after 100 copies with the criteria you mention using OTF, let us know the % of success.
                                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                                Columbo moments...
                                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...