X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

At this point I only use lables on Photo slide show VCD's and for Data discs. I never use them on DVD's. But thats just me.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• MikeyBK
      Digital Video Maniac
      • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by soup
      I even use different colour Sharpie's, just for the heck of it.
      Originally Posted by soup
      They just add that extra touch of class.
      Originally Posted by toomanycats
      Too bad you can't identify the Arccos sectors and Sharpie them out like they do on some cd's. Different colour sharpies whatta concept, I'm going to Walmart tomorrow,Green for a good movie, Red for a sucky one, Blue for a sad one, what would be the best colour for wide screen? I mostly name the movies using acronyms, as my handwriting sucks.
      Originally Posted by Gary D
      @ Soup : That is way too "techy" for me. Just fine will do for either WS or FS.
      All this talk of Sharpies, Colors, Colored Sharpies....
      Imagine if a new member was to view all this 'High Tech' stuff!

They would be thinking that we're out of our minds!!!!!!
      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
      Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
      ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
      Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
      XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
      Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
      Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
      *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
      *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Well arent we ? LOL oh ya thats just me. LMAO

Comment

• ibglowin
          • Jan 2005

Just wanted to add my $0.02 of experience with labels and back up DVD's. I have quite a few (putting it lightly) backups. I keep them stored in the large Bodyglove cases that hold around 200 disc. I went back to watch some of last years episodes of Lost and found out that NONE of my backups would play anymore. Like everyone else I removed the labels with warm water and then did a final clean up with a small amount of Ethanol (solvent)and viola' perfect playback.

I live in the US desert southwest. We have very low humidity year round so my labels dry up in a matter ofweeks instead of months probably. I had been using the CD Stomper paper matte labels.

I was wondering how I was going to clean up several hundred DVD's since each one took around 5-10 minutes to clean up when it dawned on me that if the problem was associated with the drying and contracting of the paper label then perhaps rewetting them (like dvdshare sugested) might relax them enough to play once again.

Sure enough putting the disk under some warm running water for a minute, then drying off with a tissue worked like a charm. The disc played back perfectly.

However I found out (like dvdshare did) that as soon as they dried they became unplayable once again. Rewetting them a second time made them playable for a few hours (at least).

My solution is that I am switching over to the Neato photo quality label and I will also look into the Avery film based labels as well. Anytime I want to play back one of my backups I will dunk it in some warm water to play it. I suppose if you continued to dunk it in warm water enough it might loose some of the shrinkage/warpage effects. Or it may not if it is merely the paper drying/shrinking that causes the problems and it may never play properly with a paper label only time will tell I guess.

I am also in the process of putting together a HTPC with a new Intel dual core Mac Mini and a rather LARGE external hard drive. I will be ripping these to MPEG4 with Handbrake and putting these into my iTunes library for playback through Front Row. I have found that using a high KBPS rate of 1800-2000 results in a rip the size of 1-1.5GB that is for the most part indistinguishable from the original DVD. I do lose DD5.1 but it still sounds pretty darn good and I have what is essentially an excellent Video on Demand (VOD) setup with room for several hundred movies.

Great thread guys.
          Mike

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

I would stay away from the lables if I were you. You have a player that is sensitive to them.

Neato photo quality label and I will also look into the Avery film based labels as well

You will have the same results with these. Trust me.

Comment

• toomanycats
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2005

After reading that I am definately sticking to Sharpies. Those bodygloves offer no rigidity so I wouldn't trust them especially in the heat. I have seen many warped dvd's in soft cases. Hard cases let the dvd expand and contract without any side loading. IMHO. Your gonna regret any type of compression if you ever get a projector or large video viewing setup.

Comment

• ibglowin
                • Jan 2005

Agree, no labels = safe but also BORING!
                Mike

Comment

• toomanycats
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2005

I find it interesting when people can answer posts in the middle of the day like me. What aren't you doing?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

Different time zones too remember this is night time for some. LOL

Comment

• toomanycats
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2005

So what time is it in Middle Earth? Do the days have 24 hrs? How is the economy in the aftermath of the wars, is everybody working?.

Comment

• sweepe007
                        • Mar 2006

dvd labels

I too use lable all my backups then I got to the point yhay it was to expensive ink wise in printinting the labels all i do now is just the case cover but back to the label issue I never had a problem before but i went to view a movie with a lable and it kept freezing up I removed the label and it works fine go figure? now some movies do work fine but other do not but any way all I do nowis use a sharpie

Comment

• copyless
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Apr 2006

Yeah, I vote on the sharpies also. My vote won't sway the outcome, but I'm still placing it.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by toomanycats
                            So what time is it in Middle Earth? Do the days have 24 hrs? How is the economy in the aftermath of the wars, is everybody working?.
                            Yes 24 hours in the day here, and the economy is HORRIBLE few jobs many searching including me. More people are becoming unemployed then working. Many people are becoming homeless and lines at the food pantries increasing every month.

Middle earth is hurting right now. But we are very hopeful here.

Comment

• toomanycats
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Apr 2005

Sounds like Bushilism, a convoluted form of commununism, not to mistaken with capitalism, (or communism for that matter) because no one knows where the money goes.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
                                Different time zones too remember this is night time for some. LOL
                                not to mention posting while on the job.
                                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                                Columbo moments...
                                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...