Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazyboy74
    • Jan 2006

netflix????

does anyone know the best place to rent movies??? i heard netflix is no good. i was just wondering what people thought about and netflix and if anyone could give me adviceon places to look. thanx alot!!!!
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

At first when I started out with netflix it wasn't so great but now I an happy with it I get 4 -8 DVDs a week and when they ship my movies most of the time it takes 1 day to get to me at the most it takes 2 days. I tried blockbuster online I didn't care for it at all it took 2-3 days to get my movies and most of the movies in my queue had short waits and long waits I very seldom have that problem with netflix.Most people gripe because they can only get 3-4 movies a week well blockbuster charges you $4.95 a movie lets say you rent 4 movies from them well that will cost you $19.80 plus tax well for $3 more you could of had netfilx for a month and got 12-14 movies IMO you get more for your money with Netflix then you would any video store. I think the speed of your movie delivery depends how close a shipping depot is to you the closest one to me is 2 hours away.
    Last edited by BR7; 14 Mar 2006, 09:29 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Raven386
      • Nov 2005

Not a member? Sign Up Here

Comment

• crazyboy74
        • Jan 2006

thanx alot for the advice br7, i appreciate it!!!!!!!

Comment

• Miss Marple
          Dithering old maid
          • Nov 2005

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

@Raven386 and Miss Marple

Raven has linked to a search which is not permanent and expires. You need to link to a thread or post, not a search ID.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• MikeyBK
              Digital Video Maniac
              • Feb 2006

I too have tried Blockbuster online and didn't care for the speed, or should I say 'lack of speed', in their mailing turnarounds. So I went with Netflix. They are extremely fast. I would turn in some movies on a Monday, and they would receive it on Tuesday, and send out my next movie that day, then I would receive my next movie on Wednesday! HOWEVER, I started to get 'throttled' by them and I started getting 3-4 day turn-arounds, which was still O.K. by me, but then they started to not send me the new releases, sometimes showing them in my queue as long wait or very long waits. It took several months before they sent me Cinderella Man, and that was only because I filed a complaint with their customer service about the long waits for new releases.
              They became pretty good again for about two weeks and then they went right back to their same old methods.
              The final insult was last Monday when they received all three of my DVD returns and showed Harry Potter as available, but they did not send me Potter, instead sending me the one 'last' non new release in my queue, and not sending me any of the weeks' befores' new releases because they ALL showed as long waits. They instead stated on my queue that they would send me my next two DVDs on Tuesday. So here I thought they were going to send me Harry Potter, but when Tuesday rolled around Potter now showed as a Long Wait! To make things worse they stated on my queue that I needed to add some non new releases to my queue or they could not send me any DVDs because all the new releases were now 'Long Waits'!

Well that was it for me, I cancelled Netflix and have gone back to Blockbusters online. Even though their turnaround is longer, at least I'll get a free in-store coupon every week, and since I live only a few blocks from a Blockbusters I'll always get a New Release every Tuesday morning and just wait for the other new releases thru the mail.

So both services have their pros and cons! You'll just have to take a chance on one or the other and you're never gonna know what you're gonna find!

Netflix ------------------ Blockbusters
              MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
              Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
              ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
              Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
              XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
              Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
              Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
              *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
              *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

I wouldnt waste the money on Netflix or blockbuster on line.

A few years ago I did Netflix for one month it was free for a month and I wasnt worth it. I cancled before being billed. I got 5 DVD's in that month.

Then I did try a few months ago blockbuster online and same crap with them I got 6 DVD's total in one month. The sent out 3 movies at once and I returned them within 2 days. it took 3 weeks to get 3 more back and then when I canceled they still kept billing me for the next 2 months. I had to keep filing complaints and they finally gave me a $10.00 in store credit, like that was really worth the hassle.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• BR7
                  • Aug 2005

But your basing it on a few years ago PA they have a lot more shipping centers now and faster shipping like I stated before the longest it takes me to get my movies is 2 days but most of the time it takes 1 day. Netflix is a lot better now I'm not saying it's perfect but I would take it over any video store like I said you can't beat the value

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    Queen of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by BR7
                    But your basing it on a few years ago PA they have a lot more shipping centers now and faster shipping like I stated before the longest it takes me to get my movies is 2 days but most of the time it takes 1 day. Netflix is a lot better now I'm not saying it's perfect but I would take it over any video store like I said you can't beat the value

I hear where you are comming from.
                    The reason I even gave Blockbuster a try was due to a conversation I had with the general manager there. He said there are over 50 stores in WI this ship the movies out and the one by my house is one of the largest distrubution centers for the online. And well the six movies I did get came from 2,000 miles away. Maybe our area here is just bad for it a few of my friends have tryed them both out too and they had the same problem. Took forever to get the movies.

As for Netflix, you would think if they are giving a FREE month to try it out they would make a better impression on the service. After getting 5 movies in one month just doesnt want to make you pay $20.00 a month for it anymore.

I like the in store pass $24.99 per month unlimited DVD's and no due dates. I get a new movie when I go there. Not when it comes in the mail.

But then again I live very close to one. Walking distance.
                    Last edited by photo_angel2004; 16 Mar 2006, 12:41 AM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Raven386
                      • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
                      @Raven386 and Miss Marple

Raven has linked to a search which is not permanent and expires. You need to link to a thread or post, not a search ID.

Regards
                      I did not know that! sorry about that.
                      Not a member? Sign Up Here

Comment

• steveareno1955
                        • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by BR7
                        At first when I started out with netflix it wasn't so great but now I an happy with it I get 4 -8 DVDs a week and when they ship my movies most of the time it takes 1 day to get to me at the most it takes 2 days. I tried blockbuster online I didn't care for it at all it took 2-3 days to get my movies and most of the movies in my queue had short waits and long waits I very seldom have that problem with netflix.Most people gripe because they can only get 3-4 movies a week well blockbuster charges you $4.95 a movie lets say you rent 4 movies from them well that will cost you $19.80 plus tax well for $3 more you could of had netfilx for a month and got 12-14 movies IMO you get more for your money with Netflix then you would any video store. I think the speed of your movie delivery depends how close a shipping depot is to you the closest one to me is 2 hours away.
                        BR7

Where's the shipping depot thats near you. Wondering how close its to me.
                        I'm in Fremont.
                        A F@H Protein Folder
                        Find out how you can be a folder to. Read this thread ASAP!!!
                        http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=69457

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

@steveareno1955
                          It's in Omaha,Neb

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• crackbaby
                            • Feb 2004

Netflix isn't so bad, the only problem is they make sure to make their money.
                            They started sssLLLoowwwing my shipping down, dicks. Slower turnaround = less movies for me, plus ya new releases take forever.

Comment

• BR7
                              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by crackbaby
                              Netflix isn't so bad, the only problem is they make sure to make their money.
                              They started sssLLLoowwwing my shipping down, dicks. Slower turnaround = less movies for me, plus ya new releases take forever.
                              Not for me I get a new release every Tuesday.If you put it in your queue a few days before it comes out you wont get it.What I do is look for upcoming DVD movies and save them

From what I understand it goes by first come first serve.Netflix will put the movie in you queue 2 weeks before the release you just move the movie up to your #1 spot

If you keep on top of it you should get your New release on time
                              I was board so I used pictures
                              Last edited by BR7; 16 Mar 2006, 05:14 AM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...