Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetrmarie
    • Mar 2006

HMMM, looking at the different ratios, they are all multiples of 16:9 eg
    1280 x 9/16=720. I guess they would have to be if they were all widescreen at 16:9 ratio.

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by sweetrmarie
      HMMM, looking at the different ratios, they are all multiples of 16:9 eg
      1280 x 9/16=720. I guess they would have to be if they were all widescreen at 16:9 ratio.
      Correct otherwise, the picture wouldn't fill the screen (also count the black borders for ratios such as 2.35:1).

Comment

• diesel350
        • Nov 2006

How about the Samsung DVD-HD960 Up-Converting DVD Player? I was thinking about getting this player.
        I would think the quality would be just as good as a more expensive HD player.

• Upconverting, mult-format progressive scan DVD player; measures 16.9 x 1.77 x 9.8 inches (WxHxD)
        • Transforms standard DVD to near 1080p HD-quality video (as well as 720p, 1080i formats)
        • Compatible with DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3, WMA, JPEG
        • Outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 component, 1 S-Video, 1 composite, 1 coaxial audio, 1 optical audio
        • Supports both Dolby Digital and DTS encoded DVDs
        http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-HD...560818-9704600

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

That Samasung is good but don't expect upscaled SD DVD to HD resolutions to be as good as proper HD. It will never be (HD has higher bitrate and storage space). Think upscaled as simulated HD.

It is important to have a good player. A cheap upscaling player is often a waste of time as the quality is often worse than not upscaled (then upscaled by the TV if it is HD Ready).

Comment

• uufta
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

They threw in a LG-DN191H Upscaler for free, when I bought my Panny on Black Friday,
            Again, the only time its seems better is when I go for the highest setting going into the TV and let it downscale, same as my cablebox..(just like you said)
            Cant beat the price though...LOL

Comment

Working...