Hello
    First just wanted to say thanks for this forum and all the great
    posting...i enjoy reading them

So I'm trying to rip a segment of a DVD movie and have gotten it
    to work...but the resolution is pretty bad...(not only is the size
    small (which i suppose I can deal with) but it's also pretty
    pixelated (low resolution). Also, the audio seems a bit quiet if
    anyone has any ideas about this.. HELP

I'm using Smart ripper to convert the dvd segment to the IFO file.
    I don't know what's important...but under the input settings
    window, the export settings box, I checked 29.97 NTSC and force 24 Hz (everything else i left as default like the program says).

Then I use DVDx to convert the IFO to a MPEG file. The resolution
    is 352 by 288 (this is what it says when the open the window).
    The video bit rate is set at 1150 Kbit/s, and the audio bit rate
    is 224 Kbit/s.
    Other settings include No Zoom and the resize filter is set at MMX
    biiner. If there is any more info that is required to solve this
    problem....i'd be happy to provide it.

THANKS SO SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

michelle
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Then I use DVDx to convert the IFO to a MPEG file. The resolution is 352 by 288 (this is what it says when the open the window).
    The video bit rate is set at 1150 Kbit/s, and the audio bit rate
    is 224 Kbit/s.
    This is what you should do if you are creating a VCD to be viewed on a stand-alone DVD player. The results, as you have seen, does leave a lot to be desired.

However, if you are converting the DVD for viewing on the computer, I strongly suggest that you use the DivX compression instead, as it is capable of better compression (ie. better quality at smaller filesize).

Also, the audio seems a bit quiet
    You will need to raise the volume of the audio then. Here is what you can do to separately extract the audio and later send it into the video encoder that you are using:
    1. Rip audio to WAV using Graphedit/Vob2audio
    2. If you wish, you can amplify the volume of the audio using an audio editor, such as Cooledit
    3. Send the WAV file into the encoder of your choice

Comment

• misia23
      • Oct 2002

Thanks so much for your response.

I just tried to install DivX on my computer, but there are so many versions and even though i thought i was installing the entire program...it ended up just installing a codec file which i already have along with the divx player. where do i get the software i need?

and if (or someone else) could provide some brief instructions on converted the ripped IFO file to avi/mpeg format using divX, that would be phenomenal!!!

THANKS SO MUCH

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I just tried to install DivX on my computer, but there are so many versions and even though i thought i was installing the entire program...it ended up just installing a codec file which i already have along with the divx player. where do i get the software i need?
        For those new to the scene, the simple and nevertheless excellent DivX 5.02 is recommended. For any other software that you might need, go over here.

and if (or someone else) could provide some brief instructions on converted the ripped IFO file to avi/mpeg format using divX, that would be phenomenal!!!
        For a quick and easy conversion, FlaskMPEG is good. However, once you get used to this thing, you will find yourself outgrowing the program and needing better programs. In that case, GordianKnot will serve you wonderfully. Guides for respective programs are easily available in this forum and site.

Edit: Realising that you have already delved your hands into DVDx, I think GordianKnot will suit you better. A moderator of this forum, UncasMS, has prepared an excellent guide on using GK. Find it in the DivX section.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 6 Dec 2002, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• misia23
          • Oct 2002

difficulties with gordian knot...

i'm sorry..i seem to be having one problem after another
          but i appreciate the advice...

i downloaded gordian knot and used smart ripper to rip a track, then opened the VOB file in DVD2AVI and made all the changes as per instructions in the program and files on this forum. I saved the .d2v file from this and then in the ripping window of gordian knot, went to the next step (lower left corner) to open the DVD2AVI file.

I get an error message that says "file is not a valid dvd2avi project (v1.76, YUV2)!"

so i'm stuck here now.

any advice??

thanks again SO MUCH for your help....

(i can't get over how technologically saavy the people in this forum are)!!

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Re: difficulties with gordian knot...

Originally posted by misia23
            [B]
            I get an error message that says "file is not a valid dvd2avi project (v1.76, YUV2)!"
            Make sure that you are using DVD2AVI version 1.76 and that the colorspace is set to YUV2.
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

I remember getting similar error message with DVD2AVI 1.77 (a Beta version). Moving back to DVD2AVI 1.76 solved the problem. Maybe this applies to you?

Comment

• CybaSmuggla
                • Nov 2002

Heya,I'm a newbie to all this too,mite I suggest you try "flask mpeg" the progs u are using,are quite fiddly,and its best to use 1 prog whilst getting started I have found,otherwise,mass confusion ensues
                And above all,keep at it,it takes a lot of patiance

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

since a beginner will need to spend some time reading and experimenting anyway, i would strongly advise to use GordianKnot + Divx5.

the first 5 encodings might require some help from lets say guides like the one mentioned, but soon you should get the hang of it and it'll be a childs play.

i guess most user will confirm this.

GordianKnot, however, is an excellent and reliable tool and thus i would spend my time learning to handle this tool (other tools will take time just as well, when you're not familiar with them).

the gordianknot package you downloaded from my page or anywhere else will include version 1.76 of DVD2AVI. so make sure to use that version and use the yuv-setting as khp mentioned above.

Comment

• SteamBird505
                    • Aug 2002

EasyVCD ?

I may have missed the obvious in your post but if you simply want to copy a DVD and make an mpeg file I have just found and used Easy VCD.
                    I simply put the DVD in the drive and start the programme which really is a suite of programmes to handle the various copy and split jobs....I have sorted three borrowed DVD's. The end product is an mpeg upto 1.3 gig (the longer the original movie the bigger the mpeg)which will chop using TMPGEnc mpeg tools. I have had no quality problems.

I do have problems with x-vids though!!!!!!

Comment

Working...