Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erikc
    • Sep 2002

Virtualdub problem

I have downloaded an AVI file from Kazzaa and am trying to run it through virtual dub to uncompress the audio so that I can eventually write to a DVD.
    When I try to do this I get the error message "ACM failed to suggest audio decompression format".
    The film plays on Powerdvd so I assume that I have all the required codecs (this may not even be related to this).
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this.
    Thanks in advance
  • gs0666
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Nov 2001

Post the file information from VDub (File-->File Information)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"The film plays on Powerdvd"
      "get the error message "ACM failed to suggest audio decompression format". "

The audiostream is undoubtedly in .AC3 format, which VirtualDub cannot process (But any software DVD player, such as Power DVD, will).

It will undoubtedly show up as "Unknown (tag 2000)" in VirtualDub's "File Information"

Comment

• erikc
        • Sep 2002

You are correct, it does show exactly what you thought it would. Generally when I try to write a file to DVD, I uncompress Audio, stick it through TPMGENC to create my MPEG2 file and then author and write with DVDit. Is there another way that I can get this file onto a DVD. There are two files to the one film which I need to merge to create one film. I have done this before through virtual dub but am now not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

You can extract the audiostream and convert it to Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) as follows:

**IMPORTANT - VirtualDub v.1.4AC3 is a specific MODIFIED version of VirtualDub!

Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub v.1.4-AC3, set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and select (under "File") "Save WAV" - and save as .AC3 (IMPERATIVE to save as .AC3!)

Despite the fact that .AC3 file extracted using VDub-AC3 doesn't play properly, PX3AC3Converter (or BeSweet) will do a perfect job of converting it to .WAV format.

Comment

• erikc
            • Sep 2002

I have tried to find the besweet and px3ac3converter program but cant find them anywhere. I have tried Kazzaa and the download page linked to this site but no joy. The ones linked to the site dont seem to work.
            Does anyone know where I cant get these files from?

Thanks for your help

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

use google.com to find besweet and nandub should also be able to open your avi and save the audiostream to a separat file.

Comment

Working...