n00b needs help....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knappsterc
    • Dec 2003

ritey ho, well your help has been massively appreciated, however i'm not sure how to cut my film in half using TMPGEnc. can anyone help me plz?

thanks

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Comment

• knappsterc
        • Dec 2003

a error message is ebing shown (see attachment) saying that the .avi file is (obv) not an MPEG, what can i do?
        Attached Files

Comment

• pieroxy
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Nov 2003

No, you should use the MPEG tools only if you have a MPEG file to begin with. So you have two options:

1. Generate a big MPEG and cut it the way setarip told you
          2. Generate two MPEG files out of your AVI file to begin with.

For way 2., you need to modify slightly the way you encode your AVI into a MPEG file. Go to "Settings", "Advanced" and double click on source range. You can then select the beginning of the part you want to encode (say, frame 0) and the last one (say, the number of frames in your AVI / 2). You can then encode.

Then you do the same process again for the second part. This way, you can actually also define a small overlap of about 10 seconds (~250 frames)
          "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"a error message is ebing shown (see attachment) saying that the .avi file is (obv) not an MPEG"

So why did you ask, "i'm not sure how to cut my film in half using TMPGEnc. can anyone help me plz?"

Comment

• knappsterc
              • Dec 2003

i don't know. please bear with me, i'm not as technologically literate as you. i jsut need to know hwo to split a file in half because it is way too big to fit on one CD. it is obv a .avi, but i dont know what else to do. i apoligise again

Comment

• pieroxy
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Nov 2003

@setarip, I think "knappsterc" (as he pointed out) is really a n00b and is a little confused .

I pointed him to cut his AVI in half with TMPGEnc in an earlier post . Since he is encoding his AVI to MPEG with TMPGEnc, he can easily encode two MPEG files instead of one using the "Source Range" option. That would cut the encoded movie in two.

Of course, he could also cut his AVI in half using VirtualDub, but it would then result in two more AVI files to deal with, not really necessary. TMPGEnc does that well enough IMO...
                "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• pieroxy
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Nov 2003

@knappsterc, I answered your question about cutting your movie at 2:38 (just scroll up).

Comment

• knappsterc
                    • Dec 2003

hi pieroxy,

im getting better, ive cut my movie to a suitable size to fit on disc.

HOWEVER, i'm now gettin a new error message being display, don't spose you could make sense of it could ya?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

The error that you've received would appear to indicate that (contrary to your earlier stated assumption) you don't have the FFDShow filter installed on your system...

Comment

• pieroxy
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Nov 2003

If you want our help to be productive, you'll have to try and provide us with as much info as possible. The statement "i'm now gettin a new error message being display" doesn't tell me when and how you got it. Please tell us all the steps that did lead you to the message.

@setarip: I have never seen this message even though I explicitely removed ffdshow... Is that a bug in TMPGEnc, in XviD or in VirtualDub?

Comment

• knappsterc
                          • Dec 2003

right then. well whenever i try to edit the file slightly using TMPGEnc (eg. cuttign the file using the Soure Range option) that error message appears. i also have another error which occurs when i exit TMPGEnc (see attachment)

i hope this is of further help
                          Attached Files

Comment

• pieroxy
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Nov 2003

Allright, I know TMPGEnc can be sensible when using the sliders with some codecs, so you should use the VirtualDub sliders instead...

Basically, you can define the starting point and ending point of the movie you want to frameserve with VirtualDub itself. Just use the slider at the bottom of the main window...

Sorry about that, this has always worked for me.

BTW, if you want to try it, I think you can still use TMPGEnc, without using the sliders : When in the "Source Range" window, click on "Move to End Frame", and write down the frame number (I'll call that N further down).
                            From there, just divide this number by two to get the cutting point. Chunk 1 of your movie will be from frame 0 to frame N/2+125. Chunk 2 will be from frame N/2-125 to N. Just enter the numbers manually instead of using the sliders

NB: The +/- 125 represent ~5 seconds to give you a 10 second overlap between your two files.

Of course, if that doesn't work, just use the sliders in VirtualDub.

Comment

• knappsterc
                              • Dec 2003

rite, well i obv cant use TMPGEnc as the error (attachment Error1) is still appearing when i try to split it, then convert.

so i have tried to use virtual dub and i have been able to use the slider, however i can not get any further. i dont know how to split it then save it or anything. then what would i do after?

Comment

• pieroxy
                                Platinum Member
                                Platinum Member
                                • Nov 2003

Well, let's try to move forward with this problem.

1. Can you encode with TMPGEnc at all? To figure that out, try to make ONE big MPEG file out of your AVI. You will be able to cut it afterward with TMPGEnc MPEG tools as setarip explained ealier in the thread.
                                2a. If that works, just do it that way
                                2b. If that doesn't work (same error message all over again), just try to install FFDSHOW again. For that, just re-start the install procedure of NimoCodecPack (you downloaded that earlier, remember?). Make sure you UNCHECK EVERYTHING first, and then check "Fddshow" under "DirectShow Filters". I have never had this problem, but according to setarip that should fix the error message.

In case installing ffdshow fixed your issue, generate your big MPEG file and cut it later with the MPEG tools.

Comment

Working...