X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juliewatt
    • Feb 2004

Subtitle problem

Hi all

I have a question about subtitles. I usually like to make my copies by re-authoring and choosing just the main movie for backup as I am not really that interested in any extra features and also it saves me compression time and I get a better result.

When I do this I have the "disable all subpicture except menues and forced streams" box checked. To me I understand this to mean that if the movie requires the need for subtitle translation it will automatically come on as needed throughout the film as per the original otherwise it wont be shown.

I just did Kill Bill vol 2 and the part where Uma is talking with her sifu did not get subtilted so I had no idea what they were saying. Why wont it backup exactly like the original? If I check one of the subpicture boxes before I encode then the whole movie is subtitled and I have to manually switch it off when playing on my standalone via remote. Then I have to switch it on again if there is a scene that calls for it.

Im assuming that this is a problem when re-authoring although I cant see how because Im not altering the main title. It should remain exactly as the original and retain all information. I would appreciate very much if there are any, more knowledgable users who could give me a solution. Thanks
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

In DVDShrink preferences make sure you don't have ticked the box for "Hide audio and subpictures of insignificante size". The one you are seeking for could be not displayed in the selecting bar because of its small size.

Also see this guide;

Preferences guide;

Comment

• juliewatt
      • Feb 2004

Hi Cynthia

Thankyou for your reply...I have always left the "Hide audio and subpictures of insignificant size" unticked so I dont think this was causing the problems.

I also noticed that sometimes there are more than one type of subtitles for English for example but are of different sizes. Do you know why this is? There doesn't seem to be a distinction between subs used for the hearing impaired and those used as part of the film for dialogue translation. If I force the subs then will this mean the whole movie will be subbed? I only want them to come on and off when they are required just like in the original. It seems as though you can only sub the whole movie or not at all.

I appreciate your advice and anybody else who has the patience to explain this to me and help me better understand how it works and what I should do.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"When I do this I have the "disable all subpicture except menues and forced streams" box checked."

In light of the fact that the subtitle/subpicture files are SO SMALL, it is far safer to not disable ANY of them...

Comment

• juliewatt
          • Feb 2004

Hi and thanks for your reply. I tried to backup Kill bill vol 2 again by re-authoring and choosing the main title only. I left English subs(including small ones) ticked as per advice given. After completion I took the movie from my PC and put it into my DVD player and pressed play.

The movie started with English subtitles at the bottom of the sreen which was annoying because there was no need as they were speaking in English. So I switched it off with my remote and fast forwarded to the scene where Beatrix begins her training with Pai Mei...they start speaking chinese and no subtitles appeared. Why? because I switched them off at the beginning of the movie because they automatically came on from the start when they were'nt needed. This is what I dont understand.

They should have only come on at the training scene and anywhere else that required translation. So I guess this is a problem when re-authoring. If you eliminate the main menus and just want to backup the main title it must interupt the movies ability to determine when it needs to subtitle and when it doesn't. So if you decide to tick the subpicture boxes it will do the whole movie regardless. Would I be right in thinking this? I would very much appreciate further comment. Thanks.

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

If you do a search on "Kill Bill" in this forum you will find other members that have had the same problem with subs on this DVD as you.

Comment

• juliewatt
              • Feb 2004

Thanks Cynthia for the info...it helped a lot. For future reference with other movies is there any way of telling which subtitles to keep without having to make a couple of coasters first? I just want to keep the ones that are relevent to the movie and for them to come on automatically. Thanks heaps.

Comment

• cynthia
                Super Moderatress
                • Jan 2004

Take a look at this page - ddlooping has done an excelent graphic in this matter.

Comment

• juliewatt
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks...Is there any freeware available that has this ability?

Comment

• cynthia
                    Super Moderatress
                    • Jan 2004

Don't know if you have Nero installed - if so - you could use Nero's player.

Comment

Working...