X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AnimeCollector
    • Mar 2002

Nandub codec selection and blocking problems

Hi!
    Just wondering: how can you get nandub 1.0rc2 to choose which DIVX codec you wish to use? I'm not sure which on it's using but I have installed 3.11alpha 4.12 4.11 and 5.x

I also wish to remove all divx codecs from my system completely so I can install the ones I want.

I also have a problem with blocks and Nandub. I have a Divx file that I have have done colour corrections on. Its more or less a low motion anime (its' Fruits Basket in case any one needs to know, I'm making the colours more saturated cuz they're so dull) When I go to rencode it with Nandub SBC (drfs: min= 2 max = 5; Gauge: 30, 35, 80; min bitrate 480-540 depends on episode) In the original file there were absolutely no blocking artifacts. When I change the saturation using Donald Graft's filter and re-encode it, there is an increase in the blocking problems! They suddenly appear when I go to re encode it! This usually happens during periods of high motion (arms swinging, people turning fast, walking quickly)

PLEASE HELP!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Nandub is specifically created for 3.11a codec only. Haven't you read that in the Readme?

What bitrate did you set? The min allowed bitrate can actually be lowered. I don't see much problem with using 300-350. Lastly, do you know exactly how to use nandub's 2-pass mode? Things wouoldn't go right of course, if Nandub has no idea on how the bitrate graph goes.

Fruits Basket? Kawaii!!! Have yet to see the 21st episode. Which group's work are you working on? BakaMX, Akufansubs, or Ronin? The Ronin version of 12 is admittedly bad. Akufansubs works (13+) aren't that good compared to BakaMX either, but it's better than nothing though.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 22 Mar 2002, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Enchanter
      Nandub is specifically created for 3.11a codec only. Haven't you read that in the Readme?
      Yikes, talk about throwing rocks when you live in a glass house, nandub also support M$ Mpeg4v2 you can select which one in Video->SBC Options'->'SBC Settings'.
      M$ Mpeg4v2 is probably the better choice.
      Last edited by khp; 24 Mar 2002, 08:58 AM.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Ah...right. But given that they're pretty much the same thing, one legitimate and the other not, but yet more popular, it wouldn't really matter.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
          • Mar 2002

Enchanter, I can send you Furuba's...They are almost idential to Baka's which I must say right now kicks so much arse.

Hmm the thing is i'd like to stick 4 to a CD, so it means setting it to calc 172 or something like that. I end up with very small files nonetheless (something like a -30 Mb deviation) so that's why I cranked the min bitrate. <== would this be the reason the extra artifacts suddenly appear?

So I take it the 2 pass method isn't just for raws? Would it be truly beneficial to try that? And by 2 pass i assume you mean
          File -> first pass...wait for encode...la dee da...File -> two passes? Would that eliminate this mysterious blocking that appears when there was NO blocking whatsoever in the original? Hmm maybe I should post vid caps to show you what I mean. It's marginal blocking but I want these to be PERFECT. Hehe.

What's the adv of choosing M$?

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

DivX3.11 has annoying tendency of produceing broken frames and shit frames. AFAIK MS Mpeg4v2 does not suffer from these problem.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
              • Mar 2002

Thanks guys I'll give it a shot. What about compatibilty of the MS codec with other players? I'm guessing since its MS, its comp with everything.

Here goes!
              Last edited by AnimeCollector; 22 Mar 2002, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

I'm fine with what I have here. Thanks for the offer though.

By the way, your two-pass description is almost correct. Almost correct except for one little thing. You do either of these:
                1. First Pass -> -> tinker around with the SBC settings (If you haven't done so) -> Save as .AVI -> -> File
                2. Two-pass -> -> File

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by AnimeCollector
                  ... What about compatibilty of the MS codec with other players?
                  This is not really an issue, you have to understand how video codec's work, most avi compatible video codec's implement vfw(video for windows) encoders and decoders, and a DirectShow decoder. Virtualdub and other encoding tools use the vfw encoder and decoders when you encode or reencode an avi file. Most if not all avi file players use the DirectShow decoder to decode the video.
                  Avi players use the directshow decoder to display the video, this means that it's not really the player that decodes the video stream. The player just read the avi file and feed the video stream to the DS decoder.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                    • Mar 2002

Sigh...it just doesn't seem to be my day. Here's the pictures of what it looks like and what the problems is.

The original:

What mine ends up looking like:

The thing is I wouldn't be so worked up if this happened only a couple of times. It keeps appearing at the corner of your eye and it bugs the hell out of me. Everytime someone is turning, when the camera is looking at someone's feet/shoes moving...these blocks appear for the duration of the motion and I don't know what the hell to do about it. After the 20th re encode...you can understand that I'm a little more than frustrated.

Sorry if I'm beating this issue to death, but you guys have been great so far!

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Wow, that looks quite bad, I've never seen anything like that, but I have never done any animes, and animes are know to be difficult.

Which codec were you using for this ?

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                        • Mar 2002

khp,
                        I am using Nandub to do this with SBC. From Enchanter's previous post, I assume its 3.11 alpha.

It's really weird since the other episodes i re encoded DID NOT experience this kind of problem. The first 10 or so re encodes I tried using different settings to make the file sizes more predictable (this was before I started using 2 pass; I simply applied the filter and "saved as avi" ONLY) The previous episodes i redid, I simply saved as avi. This episode is giving me hell (do you think the number 13 has anything to do with it? It's Ep 13! =P)

Here's what I did the first time: applied the filter, use the calculator, saved the avi. THAT'S IT! No setting tweaks, nothing! And the other eps look fine.

Hmmm perhaps someone would know if it were possible to get the stat files from Furuba Fansubs?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

• khp
                          The Other
                          • Nov 2001

Then you have a slight case of shit (known problem with divx3.11), from what I hear it can get much worse than this.

This is exactly why I encuraged you to use MS Mpeg4v2 instead.
                          In nandub you select this in Video->'SBC Options'->'SBC Settings'.
                          But you probably need to install MS Mpeg4v2, you can get this with the nimo codec pack

Or you could use divx 4 or 5 with virtualdub, this would also fix this problem.

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

Funnily, the pictures did not display on my browser (Did a moderator take it down?).

Comment

• khp
                              The Other
                              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Enchanter
                              Funnily, the pictures did not display on my browser (Did a moderator take it down?).
                              I have the same problem, but I just copied the urls, and pasted them into another browser window.

Comment

Working...