Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I personally have not had this problem with anime before, so I wouldn't know exactly how to avoid it.

Let's see. You could try the Anti-shit feature. Or,as khp suggested, use 4.x/5/x as they are more fool-proof.

p.s. Which group did this one? Mine's Akufansubs and its colours are not as dull as your original.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
      • Mar 2002

Enchanter, mine are by Furuba Fansubs. I find the images to be a bit sharper/higher detail, and the translation/script to be better. That's why I chose to ATTEMPT to fix up the colours.

I feel like an idiot, but what program do you use for divx5? I installed it, and it seems virtual dub doesn't recognize AND if it has its own encoding front end it doesn't seem to appear in my start menu.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by AnimeCollector
        I feel like an idiot, but what program do you use for divx5? I installed it, and it seems virtual dub doesn't recognize AND if it has its own encoding front end it doesn't seem to appear in my start menu.
        Odd, divx5 should show up in the video->compression menu.
        Which version did you install ?
        You should have a divx folder in your programs menu.
        Futhermore you should be able to check if the codec is installed by going to 'control panel'->'multimedia'->'devices'->'Video compression codec' please check this.

And no divx5 does not come with its own frontend.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

If DivX5 does not work (which really is odd), try using 4.12. I think you may find it hard to really uninstall 5, judging from my own experiences.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
            • Mar 2002

Thank you very much Enchanter and khp for your help. I did a bit of registry tweaking which is why the codec disappeared! seems like I removed the wrong entries. We won't go into why I needed to do that.

It works fine with divx 5 and in fact produced a smaller file size with approximately equal quality. I'm still going to try using the anti-shit feature of nandub to see if that works. Its so much faster encoding with 3.11; I hate waiting for 3 hours for a divx5 encode to churn out.

BTW can I use the stats file generated with divx5 with nandub?

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

BTW can I use the stats file generated with divx5 with nandub?
              no

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                • Mar 2002

I originally posted this at www.divx.com. Seems like no one is willing to help me there, so I've reposted it here. Enchanter and khp, still need to pick your brains for a bit more, hope you don't mind! This pertains to DivX 5

I was just wondering if it was possible to get a file size prediction from the stats file. I assume the point of the stats file is to find the best allocation of bits based on the the settings/filters/bitrate settings. This is important to me because encoding cartoons/anime with the QP and all those options and some cleaning filters takes 6 hours using 2-pass. I want a sure fire way of knowing how large a file will be, because I want to fit, say, 4 episodes per CD. Each episode may not require the same amount of bits assigned to it.

As an example. The target bitrate I set to a 22 minute episode is 867, on the assumption that 4 fit per CD and that this will yield a 174Mb file. Now let's say that the files turn out to be 166Mb, 190Mb, 160Mb, 170Mb. It is assumed the exact same settings\filters were use, and the same bitrate was used; perfectly identical conditions. It is obvious that some of the files require more bits than others, yet it doesn't total 700Mb. I want to know that BEFORE I spend 12 hours encoding all 4 episodes to find that out, so that I can allocate the rest of the space to hopefully improve the quality of any yucky looking encode. I can wait 12 hours to generate stats files for the episodes, but I DON'T want to wait another 12 while encoding them, then another 12 to fix up the file sizes.

Sorry for the long arse post. I simply don't have that much time to waste, nor money to spend upgrading my box. If this is not implemented yet...what a good feature it would be.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                  • Mar 2002

2 more quickies: is there a way to speed up the first pass of encoding with both Nandub and Divx5?

And: Is there an advantage of using the HuffyUv lossless format? O is that solely for ripped DVD movies, not for my application?

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

I was just wondering if it was possible to get a file size prediction from the stats file.
                    For divx4/5 you can use this tool which support both divx4 and 5. But in my experience filesize prediction works very well in divx5, I haven't had any oversized files, and I only get undersized files if the movie is saturated (all frames at max quality).

is there a way to speed up the first pass of encoding with both Nandub and Divx5?
                    Fastest way is to use fast recompress in vdub/nandub but you can't use any filtering in that mode.

Is there an advantage of using the HuffyUv lossless format? O is that solely for ripped DVD movies, not for my
                    application?
                    Huffyuv is only relevant for TV capture, for which it is the best choice, because it doesn't loose any quality durring capture, as opposed to captureing directly to divx or mpeg-2.

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                      • Mar 2002

Thank you SO much khp. Indeed I DID get an undersized movie (target 870 gave me a 166Mb file, not a 174 as intended), and its supposed to be good that divx5 can achieve the same quality as 3.11 at smaller file size...its just that I want to make sure ALL available bits are assigned.

Thus if my movie is undersized, it definitely means it used max quality for the compression ratio?

hehe now to queue up some encoding jobs.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Episodes with relatively a lot of dark and low-motion scenes (compared to the other episodes) often suffer from being undersized. The only way to get around this is to use a higher bitrate or manipulate the gauge settings (Nandub).

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                          • Mar 2002

erm....this log analyzer...where does it tell you the size? It gives me bits expected...is that uncompressed? Sorry I can't figure this out....

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

log analyser? Why do you need that for?

Comment

• AnimeCollector
                              • Mar 2002

Enchanter, from khp's link above, I need it to predict the resulting file sizes from the log files, cuz it takes so much damn time to encode the eps that I want to generate the stats files, check the size, and possible bump the bitrate of certain eps BEFORE creating the actual avi file. That way I can save time.

Comment

• Enchanter
                                Old member
                                • Feb 2002

Haven't used that before. khp, is there any such tool for DivX3, which takes into considerations the gauge settings as well?

Back to your original problem, usually I manually increase the bitrate in steps of 50-100 until I get the desired filesize. But then again, I don't mind episodes that have little action scenes to be undersized. I can then assign more bits to other episodes with more action scenes.

Comment

Working...