X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Almo
    • Jul 2006

Ok, I will start with my questions

Hello everyone.

I just got a new vidcam, some software and am making an attempt to jump into the future with digital video.

My first and most important question, which I am sure has been asked is, how do I shrink my video? I have a video less than an hour & want to compress it. Is this possible? I figure it must be because people are puting videos on the net. Help, my harddrive is getting killed.

Second, is there a faster way to download my movies to my pc or do I have to play the whole video?
  • SMEG
    • Mar 2006

if you have a one hour home movie why dont you just put it onto disc it will fit without compression unless you of course there is another reason you wish to compress it for

as for download ing it faster with all video editing software i have used i have just captured the movie to the pc using the software i have been using at standard play speed wether you can download it to your pc any faster than just playing the movie i dont know but it is an intersesting idea have you tried to fast forward the movie on your video camera while capturing it and then when yo get it on there use your editing software to slow it down by half and see if then plays as normal

Comment

• Almo
      • Jul 2006

How, I only have a cd rom burner.

I can't get the friggin files small enough to fit.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what form is the captured file? i'd use virtualdub and xvid compression to retain quality, yet reducing the size greatly, if you can get it down to 700MB that will fit on a cd-r for sure
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• SMEG
          • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Almo
          How, I only have a cd rom burner.

I can't get the friggin files small enough to fit.
          Sorry mate as you did not state it was a cd drive and not a dvd drive i assumed you had a dvd writer drive teach me to asume sorry

Comment

• Almo
            • Jul 2006

Yeah, sorry bout that, I failed to slip that in. Hard to post stuff when i am at work. No time for detail.

I don't understand the compressions yet. I need to read the Sony Vegas book a little more.

Comment

• Kabuchan
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Apr 2006

Sounds like it would be easier to install a dvd burner, they don't cost much and it's easy to do.
              That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

Hello,
                You may want to consider a DVD burner that way you wont have to compress the video as much the prices of DVD burners have really come down a lot.

Something to think about.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Almo
                  • Jul 2006

I figured things out literally overnite. I have changed the format in which I want the file to be saved. If I set as VCD or for uploading to the internet it is compressed to whatever format I want.

Sony Vegas is getting to be very easy to learn.

Comment

Working...