X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

Moody Disk, MID = yuden000T2 (000)
    The lack of a zero between the T and 2 makes me suspicious, but could just be a glitch in the reporting of the MID.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
      • Jul 2006

You guys are too fast for me. Yes, Nero Speed Does show the gender. The Yuden disks are +R. I'm getting hard-of-seeing in my old age.

Also, after having another look at the MID code it does have a 0 between the T and the 2. Sorry for misreading it.

I do see a number engraved in the inner portion of the Moody disk. It says:RD520A304339PG. Does this ring any bells?

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

try flipping it over, it's on the bottom side, sorry about that tg000xxx

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
          • Jul 2006

Man is that hard to read! I have two Moody disks with TG000041, and three with TG001162. I assume this means they are not fakes?

To summarize somewhat, only the Symphony DVD Player claims to play DVD+R disks, but it will not play these.

The JVC which makes no claims to play DVD+/- R/RW, WILL play these disks.

We don't appear to have arrived at an answer to this conundrum. It seems the DVD industry has a ways to go to achieve standardization and consistancy.

Thanks for all your help. I certainly learned some things about DVDs

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

It seems the DVD industry has a ways to go to achieve standardization and consistancy.
            It's called "how can I get the end-user to spend more money".

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I would suspect Moody as being guilty of "incompetence",
              they may be using a duplicator and burning at 8X or higher.

If those disks were the plain silver top TY at least I can't say they are cheap.
              Those are high dollar blanks and they should be as good or better than those mcc 003's.
              That's what puzzles me, what does your burner say when you put a blank in and go to disk quality
              in cdspeed?
              Last edited by Chewy; 6 Aug 2006, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                • Jul 2006

I put in a Nexxtech DVD-R blank (MID=UME01). Clicking on Disk Quality produced no obvious result.

I don't have a TY blank to try. My burner is a LG Electronics HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B. I don't know if it allows testing for jitter and such.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

lg's don't scan for quality, but they are excellent readers, try doing a transfer test like in the cdspeed thread, see if you get a bad read curve with the moody disks

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                    • Jul 2006

The transfer curve was very smooth with an average of 4.59. I'm not sure the screen image is attached properly, but I tried.

I assume (hope) running this test didn't change the Moody DVD+R in any way?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

I assume (hope) running this test didn't change the Moody DVD+R in any way?
                      No it won't.

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                        • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

An embarrassing discovery! I put one of the Moody DVDs in the Symphonic player to be sure that it would still not play. After closing the drawer, nothing happened. Pressing Play would not make it go. I decided to press stop on the player. I heard the drive slow to a standstill. Then I pressed Play, and lo and behold, the DVD began to play just fine! I have never had to employ this sequence with any player before that I can remember.

The symphonic is the only one of the three players which actually says it will play a DVD+R, and now I know it does. But I have to press stop first.

Well, all this dialog was a learning experience for me. Thanks for everyone's help.

Comment

• katzdvd
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Feb 2006

Paul - I had a similar experience w/ a video game system (ps2) that I was playing dvd's on; turned out the drive was spinning, but the disc wasn't! What I found was that the center of the "burned" disc wasn't fitting into the drive properly.

I realized it after I recently modded the ps2 with a flip top case. Now I am able to securely press the disc down in the center to insure that it has engaged the drive. I know that you can't do this with the dvd player, but thought I would post for reference. Seems to be an issue only with burned discs...

Glad you got it working! MBN is a top notch organazation, IMHO!

regards, katz

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                            • Jul 2006

Certain DVDs wont play

Katz

Thanks for sharing your experience. I measured the hole diameter of all 5 Moody disks, plus some commercial disks. The range of diameters was 0.589 in (1.496 cm) to 0.592 in (1.503 cm). Though I didn't try to find the official specification for the hole diameter, I suppose it is 1.5 cm +-? I doubt seriously that the Moody disks were unusually "tight" on the spindle, and therefore didn't spin as they should unless the holes were not round.

To check this out, I took the top off of the Symphonic player. When the disk was inserted, it immediately began spinning as it should. However, it was still necessary to press stop, then play to get the machine to read the disk and display the program. I'm rather sure the problem is not mechanical, but suspect something has not been written correctly on the disk. Other disks (not Moody) start playing immediately after insertion. How does one analyse that problem?

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

comparing the mcc 003 and the yuden t02, both are 8x dvd+r and should play
                              equally in the same player, unless one was bitsett, cdspeed will tell you that.
                              bitsett will show as dvd-rom after recording

Comment

• Paul D. Bellamy
                                • Jul 2006

Chewy,

Since the Nero CD/DVD Speed tool is still useful in these proceedings, can you tell me where a user manual can be found? The tool's Help only says the manual is elsewhere. I was somehow led to two different web sites which were supposed to have the manual, but I couldn't find it in either one. Does it actually exist?

Comment

Working...