Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToulouseStreet
    • Apr 2010

AVI file w resolution 1080x1920

Hello all. i'm new here. I have been using conversion software for about a year and am a little stumped on an issue I am trying to resolve.

I have recently purchased a Samsung LCD Tv 40", screen size 1080x1920.
    I have a hard drive plugged into it via USB and am using the media player that already comes loaded in the tv's software. On the hard drive I have been converting my DVD's to avi files for playing on the tv. I use a variety of software for the conversion. Recently I have been using DVDFab to convert to avi files or wmv. I also have DVD Shrink and DVD decrypter.

My issue is that the avi files when played will not expand to the full size of the screen. I am assuming this is due to the resolution to which they were converted. I do not see an option on any of the software I have used to convert to this resolution size. Do avi files not convert to this size? Should I choose another format?

The most recent software I have tried is Handbrake. It allowed me to enter these numbers, however it failed. I think maily because I had to convert from an already converted file???
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

your tv has a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, a DVD has 720 x 576/480

you should NOT upscale the dvd content when converting, let the tv do so

so your max output resolution should be 720 x XXX (no idea if we're dealing with pal or ntsc) and this resolution should be upscaled to the best possible format

when saying you're tv does not upscale to whatever you think it should do, you should give us more precise details as to what it REALLY does upscale right now

maybe you will have to use different settings in your tv's options for scaling?

Comment

Working...