• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoMu
    • Jun 2002

A good video editing software

hi,
    i'm starting my career as a video editing guy

so can you tell me, where can i find a good video editing FREEWARE?

i'm asking this, cause i've noticed that some programs mentioned here are more or less trial versions.

thx in advance!
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

The best "freebie" is Virtualdub (you can download many free filters as well) for avi's. For more information visit virtualdub.org

For mpeg's TMPGEnc should be good.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

since NANDUB does audio-handling much better than virtualdub it is the number one choice.

download

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Yes Nandub, a "hack" of Virtualdub would be better as UncasMS mentioned (Nandub also handles vbr audio)

Comment

• JoMu
          • Jun 2002

thx folks for the hints!

in case of using those non-freewares such as adobe premiere 6 etc. what would be your choices? i read somewhere that ap6 is good for capturing, studio dv for editing and TMPGEnc for converting. my god, there are so many alternatives

my plan is first to capture (dv cam and firewire card) the movie clips to the pc and then do some editing. after this burn these avi-files to vcd and/or svcd format and watch them with dvd player.

btw, i heard that moviexone is a freeware. have you worked with this?

Comment

• benedict
            Lord of the 4th Estate
            • Jun 2002

Moviexone is freeware. I installed it a while back, but so far have found it to be a bit complicated (although I have to say I haven't tried too hard with it yet).

Another freeware editor is "Fade to Black" (thoughtman.com, or something like that). I've found this to be a bit more intuitive (and a much smaller download).

It sounds like these products are the kinds of programs you'll eventually be wanting to use for sure. In terms of extracting and editing clips however, the programs mentioned above are probably what you'll want to use, at least to get your clips ready for the programs I've mentioned. They're all mainstays, even for advanced users.

It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• Ostaf
              • Jun 2002

Am I the only person who uses AVIEdit? I've found it great for capturing and editing raw video.
              Although it doesn't have all the features of VirtualDub, it's small, fast, and free. (At least the version I have, I think the author continued to develope it and the latest version is shareware, but whatever)
              I'd only suggest using it to edit raw or lossless encoded videos though.

Comment

Working...