X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varunb
    Trying my experiments in the dark.
    • Dec 2005

Anamorphic ntsc dvd to fullscreen vcd

Can any1 tell me how i can resize only certain portions of mpeg2 anamorphic movie to fullscreen with almost lossless quality. Actually the dvd is a telecined, anamorphic ntsc movie which i have successfully converted to 23.976fps using the forced film method in dgindex as the film % was 99. Now i just need to crop the black borders & resize only certain portions of the movie & then encode the movie to pal vcd format. Why I need to convert only certain scenes to fullscreen is bcoz some scenes have text which will go out of the screen if i crop the entire movie with 1:1 AR. SO can any1help me ? Is there any avisynth-scripting solution to it ?

Is there any way by which the scenes containing text get cropped & resized by 1:1 AR in such a way that the black borders also get reduced & the text also doesn't leave the screen ? I hope u guys understand what i am trying to say.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

just so we're clear, you mean actual text in the film, not subs?

that's a real tedious task, but guess all that cropping & resizing could be done with applyrange(), though stickboy's remapframes or a similar function/plugin is much more convenient when you have more than a few ranges to specify. the cropping in each range can be different but course res must stay constant.

much but better to save yourself the trouble and get a dvd burner.

which i have successfully converted to 23.976fps using the forced film method in dgindex as the film % was 99.
    btw it would be really great if you could give some form of feedback in the threads you start
    Last edited by anonymez; 15 Jul 2006, 12:39 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• varunb
      • Dec 2005

firstly, u r right. i do mean the actual text & not the subs. 2ndly, what feedback do u need from mean ? I m sorry but I didn't understand what your 2nd question was ?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

2ndly, what feedback do u need from mean ?
        hope i don't sound too preachy, but it's just good nettiquite to post whether a suggestion worked for you or not

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

Talk about all other file container formats and video codecs in this forum, including Ogg, RMVB, MOV, ASF, WMV ...

Talk about all other file container formats and video codecs in this forum, including Ogg, RMVB, MOV, ASF, WMV ...

(don't worry about it now though, i assume they worked out alright )
        Last edited by anonymez; 15 Jul 2006, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• varunb
          • Dec 2005

Well anonymez u r absolutely right. No, u r not being preachy. I thank u & every1 else who helped in the above posts u just mentioned. They did work for me.

In your 1st post in this thread, u said using applyrange. i m not that much familiar with avisynth script & using such function.....its just making me a bit confused. I did browse through the avisynth documentation & searched that function & its syntaxes but they r just flying above my head. Well can u do a bit more explaining in this.

Thanx anyway !

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

avisynth documentation is pretty clear wrt applyrange(), even has a few examples. you could also use trim, something like:

Code:
            mpeg2source("project.d2v")
            scene1=trim(200,600).crop(x,x,x,x).lanczosresize(x,x) #selects frames 200 to 600, crops & resizes them
            scene2=trim(900,1200).crop(x,x,x,x).lanczosresize(x,x)

return scene1+scene2
            or remapframes

Code:
            mpeg2source("project.d2v")
            ReplaceFramesSimple(crop(x,x,x,x).lanczosresize(x,x),mappings="[200 800]") #crops & resizes frames 200 to 800
            edit: should mention that regardless of which function you pick it's still a time consuming process, and that imho going 16:9-->4:3 is almost sacrilegious
            Last edited by anonymez; 15 Jul 2006, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• varunb
              • Dec 2005

Thanx for the script u mentioned above. I will give it a try soon. I know its a time-consuming process but I dont like to watch movies with black borders around them. I prefer fullscreen & i dont think that there will b any noticeable quality loss as it is a high quality, original dvd. Moreover, i use procoder 2.0 latest for vcd output. It produces the best quality vcd which is absolutely unmatched.

Comment

• ed klein
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

Here is another route you can try. I use this route when I have any version of a wide screen disk, usually 16:9. And, you have a full screen TV 4:3.

This route is to remove ONLY the top and bottom black borders when the wide screen disk is shown on a full screen TV.

EXAMPLE
                RipIt4Me in movie only, wizard or one-click mode (IFO MODE)

DGIndex to create the D2V video file, AC-3 audio file, and WAVE audio
                at NTSC 23.976 or NTSC 29.976

TMPGEnc Plus to create the M2V file at 4.7 gb. Input the D2V file.
                use in settings no margins keep aspect ratio, and crop/clip the frame how you want it.

Vob Edit to create the subtitle file .SUP

DVD Decrypter to create the chapter file .TXT even if it won't run it will still generate the chapter text file in mode IFO, see Decrypter setting for IFO mode.

IFO Edit to author the DVD (video, audio, subtitles, chapters)

Burn with VIDEO_TS route

Also, works the same way for DVD to SVCD, you will not have to author,
                just take the combined file M2V and MP2 in TMPGEnc Plus and burn to CD-R disks usually two 700mb.
                Last edited by ed klein; 15 Jul 2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

I prefer fullscreen & i dont think that there will b any noticeable quality loss as it is a high quality, original dvd
                  the dvd is high quality, sure, but what you're doing is

-encoding to lossy format first (from your previous thread)
                  -cropping, which removes content & res
                  -resizing (which itself isn't lossless) down to a very low res
                  -encoding at a very low bitrate, inferior mpeg-1; doesn't matter which app you use, procoder won't produce anything noticeably better than something like nero

and that's just video, audio quality is drastically reduced as well. but to each his own

checked whether your standalone has pan & scan?

Comment

Working...