Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthill
    • May 2002

stretched ratio playback problem

The flic plays in powerdvd with wrong ratio.
    Powerdvd settings can do nothing.
    `windows media classic` does not play the file. (neither does xp media player)
    I am not even sure about it`s type. Gspot failed rendering and only states it`s an mpeg.
    Any ideas, anyone ?
    ThanQ in advance
  • pieroxy
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Nov 2003

What file are you talking about? How did you get/generated it? What do you think it is? What aspect ratio problem do you see?

Windows Media Player will not render MPEG-2 files. GSpot will not load them. Try to load it with DVD2AVI...
    "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• Aug 2002

Sounds like the prob i had.
      Look here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=29026

Try windvd

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDubMOD (different than standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• anthill
          • May 2002

First - Grand apologies for the delay. This forum is always swift to answer. After 4 days silence I presumed my query to be a dead end. The E-mail notification mechanism is somehow aborted since I got none. Again- I am sorry.
          Thanks, Pieroxy, for responding : It is an mpeg 2 not generated by me and it`s only defect is It`s playing in a vertically stretched ratio. The actors look like they have a terrible toothache and the viewer ends up with a terrible headache. DVD2AVI opened it yet I did not manage resizing under `video`>`clip and resize` the `height` and `width` slider would`nt slide.
          Thanks, guest, windvd, just as powerdvd, plays it stretched and has no ratio configuration option.
          Hi, Setarip, ThanQ.
          I attach the virtualdubmod jpg screen shot.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by anthill; 27 Dec 2003, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

The file is intended to be an SVCD. I'd suggest that for playback on your PC, you try WinDVD instead of PowerDVD...

Comment

• digidragon
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2003

Try zoom player - it has excellent control over aspect ratios.

Comment

• pieroxy
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Nov 2003

setarip is right, your file represent a PAL SVCD. It is intended to be stretched at play time onto a 4:3 image or a 16:9 image. You will have to use a player capable of reading such an MPEG-2 file. Your set-top DVD player might very well be one of them. Check-it out at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

To burn such a CD, create a SVCD in Nero and drag your MPEG-2 file.
                "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• anthill
                  • May 2002

Thank you all.
                  Hello, Setarip : as I`ve replied in my previous post to `guest`, windvd does play the file, but still plays it stretched, and I could`nt control the ratio.
                  Digigragon, Zoomplayer does not open the file.
                  Pieroxy, that link seemed to contain a list of hardware players, wheras I would still aim to find a software soultion...
                  To conclude: I understand I have a mpeg-2 svcd file, thus -stretched and nonplayable by windows media classic . Anyone has an idea of another player (such as windows media classic that can correct ratio) but that will play svcd mpeg-2 ?
                  Thanks again and sorry for the bother.
                  Last edited by anthill; 27 Dec 2003, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• digidragon
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Dec 2003

How about trying videolan?

BTW, what errors do you get when trying to play it?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"windvd does play the file, but still plays it stretched, and I could`nt control the ratio."

One last question regarding WinDVD:

Did you try right-clicking in the video's window, selecting "Display" and unchecking "Lock Aspect Ratio" - and then "grabbing" the lower left corner of the video's window and "dragging" to the desired ratio?

Comment

• anthill
                        • May 2002

Videolan plays the file, thanks -DIGIDRAGON, yet again, I have no control over the ratio. Zoom player gave an Error mesage, claiming it lacked filters...
                        Windvd, SETARIP, did not allow me accees to an option of `display`, ratio aspect, or any such like it, but Powerdvd indeed allowed it, as long as one does`nt go fullscreen, Thus giving me some solution to my problem for which I would like to thank you heartily ! I`m well aware this might be the only solution available, yet most naturally would strive to find, if possible, an option that would allow me viewing fullscreen. Whether this or that - thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Working...