Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D_75
    • Dec 2001

Interlacing....What can I do about it?

I'm still somewhat new on the scene, but I have done a couple rips of my own, and just finished reading the MakeFilm guide (which looks like a 3 day process for me), but my problum in the past has been interlaced video.

I know why video is interlaced, and all the multi-field bull (I work for a TV station), but I don't want it there in my DivX when I'm encoding. Is there anyway to effectivly de-interlace...whether it be before or during the encode process??

(I'm currently using SmartRipper, Virtual Dub and Flask)
    Last edited by D_75; 15 Dec 2001, 12:10 AM.
  • omarh
    • Nov 2001

You must do the de-interlacing BEFORE resizing or altering the video...so before encoding too.

In Virtual Dub, there's an add-on filter called smart deinterlacer. It works really well for me. Especially if I tell it to "blend" in motion areas.

go on google.com and look up virtual dub filters
    and you'll find it....look for the smart deinterlace filter.
    add it to your filters for virtual dub and try it.
    but make sure you use it FIRST before resizing

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

With Flask v.0.594 (still the most reliable) it's as simple as putting a checkmark in the box next to the word "Deinterlace" under Global Project Options ;>}

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

i would NOT use flask's de-interlacing function.

it is CRAP!

try a movie like independence day with flask and with proper virtualdub filters (even the build in version isnt that good!!) like telecide 1.1 from donald graft or deinterlace area based from gunnar thalin. depending on the movie ONE of them always did the job perfectly fine.

all else i have tested WILL NOT!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To Uncas M

I would suggest to you that my results using the Flask 0.594[PX3] Deinterlace feature has, in more than 200 instances, provided me with excellent results.

Perhaps, more importantly, I don't think it's appropriate, especially for a moderator, to refer to a poster's educated recommendation as "CRAP".

Differences of opinion will always exist, but there are more pleasant ways to express yourself.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

maybe you've done 200+ transcodings, but it seems you havent made a comparison yet!

if you dont know the difference and thus are pleased with the results you get: fine.

nonetheless flask's de-interlacer is crap compared to what virtualdub filters can do.

when i call flask or its de-interlacer CRAP then this has absolutely nothing to do with you or your postings.

i have tested a lot of tools, settings, codecs and routines and i wouldnt call flask and its de-interlacer crap if experiences hadnt proved me right!
            Last edited by UncasMS; 24 Dec 2001, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• timing
              • Nov 2001

Flask's de-interlacer actually works quite well, in the sense that it does almost completely get rid of interlacing elements. BUT, there's a great deal of ghosting. Personally I tend to use gordian knot to automate everything, because doing "proper" deinterlacing can be a real pain the ass ...

Comment

• Dr.D
                • Dec 2001

I've got a perfect result with Vidomi using 2-pass encoding

Comment

• D_75
                  • Dec 2001

About Flask De-Interlace

I had used the Flask De-Interlace feature, but the results were not as good as I have seen elsewhere.

I'm sure it probably does a decent to good job, but there are different options there in the box when you tell it that you do want it to de-interlace the video for you. What do those different options mean, and what's the best way to take advantage of them?

Comment

• Dr.D
                    • Dec 2001

OK, here is a sample of a DVD convertion with Vidomi, i believe it's the best you can get. Note that this file i a little big for 46 seconds, BUT the configuration it's for 2 CDs set.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

dead link for me!?

Comment

• Dr.D
                        • Dec 2001

The shut my site down... BANG! just like that!
                        Well but i can tell you that the quality of the movie it's the same as DVD with no interlace problems or audio sync.

Comment

Working...