Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audi
    • Sep 2002

Flask vs. GordianKnot

just wondering what the difference between gordian knot and flask is i have always used flask and it is easy but the quality sucks soo was just wonderin if gordian knot was better and is that what all the groups use to get perfect divx rips that are exactly 699 megs

i just got it and it just looks like a group of programs like dvd2mpeg and otther program whats with that
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Flask provides an easy-to-use and friendly interface that perfectly suits people new to video encoding. However, its quality has always left a lot to be desired and this is an area where Virtual/nandub excels at.

In order to achieve the quality, you need to prepare quite a few things, such as setting up DVD2AVI project file for frameserving, cropping & resizing, subtitling, codec configuration, etc., which can be daunting to newbies. GordianKnot serves its purpose by automating these tasks under one GUI and thus simplifying everything (though some basic knowledge on the field is required so that you know what options to use and tweak).

I was a Flask user nearly a year ago and was never satisfied with its quality (deinterlacing was near impossible and never yielded clean pictures). Moving on to nandub solved many of my complaints and Flask was but a distant memory to me.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

spend a little time learning how to handle GK properly, make some conversions and you will never again touch flask

c.f. your other thread

Comment

• LaFouine
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Dec 2001

OOOOooohhhhhhh YES !!!

Flask :
        GKnot :
        Rip In Peace
        LaFouine

Comment

• SHADO\\'
          • Jul 2002

Gordians knot is basically a program that generates scripts (commands) for Virtualdub (made by Avery Lee) and Nandub (a hacked version of Virtualdub hacked by a fellow named Nando hence the name Nandub). Virtualdub and Nandub are the best encoding programs out there but complicated, so Gordians Knot was basically made to make things a little easier for us. Gordians Knot also uses BeSweet which is about the best audio decoder as well. So a person cant really go wrong by learning to use Gordians Knot. The only drawback to Gordians Knot right now is you cant use all the functions of the Divx 5.02 Pro Codec. Although you can use B-frames (Bi-Directional encoding) Psychovisual enhancements, and Global Motion Compensation you cannot adjust the min/max quantitizers. But the defaults are pretty good so I give Gordians Knot two thumbs up. Flask has always been too buggy for me and the quality was never there. You can also use Gordians Knot with the Divx 3.11 Alpha Codec. For the BEST guides out there go to www.doom9.net and check out the divx guides. You won't miss Flask anymore.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I've never liked Flask (even if it was my first encoding tool I learned to use), and I dumped it right away the moment I found out how to frameserve to Virtualdub (w00ts!!!).

Comment

• Devedander
              • Oct 2002

I am new the the GK world but I can say that flask managed to crash and be unuseable on every OS I own (95 98 2000) and wouldn't do a lot of DVDs, also would fail often and took for friggin ever. GK got me good looking results with what I feel is about as much work as flask and took less or the same time. I am very happy with it. Sorry Flask.

Comment

Working...