Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • De Joker
    • Aug 2002

Divx 5 vs Divx 3

Is it normal for encoding with divx 5 to take longer than when encoding with divx 3. (Using GKnot)

Reason why, i encoded a movie 114 minutes long for 2 cd's and it took about 3 hours and 37 minutes (using divx3), than i encoded a show 119 minutes long for 2 cd's with the same resolution (using divx5.02 with the pro settings) and it took 4 hours and 47 minutes.

Also, does it make a difference in encoding speed if i set the processing level for virtualdub from "normal" to "higher" or "even higher"

Thanks, Robert
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Divx 5 is more resource intensive than divx 3.11 alpha.

Also, does it make a difference in encoding speed if i set the processing level for virtualdub from "normal" to "higher" or "even higher"

---I think it would speed up encoding, however your system may become unstable.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

NO divx5 is not supposed to take longer!!

you simply should NOT compare different material

each and every film/dvd is different thus do not compare the time two different titles take, but use the same material for speed comparison or take it for granted, that A took longer than B

different filter/resizer may be an additional factor
      or the use of for example psychovisual enhancement (crap anyway imho) may slow divx5 down.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Enabling B-Frames and GMC does slowdown encoding a bit. And Q-pel slows the encoding alot.

Originally posted by Batman

No, this setting won't speedup encoding by more than 1-2% unless you got some other high priority CPU intensive task running.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• De Joker
          • Aug 2002

Well you guys were right, i did a 6 minute video clip and it took 13:32 with divx 5 (without psycho. vis. enh. and quart. pix.) and 14:47 with divx 3 so divx 5 is actually faster.

But the strange thing is that the compressibilty check is alot faster in divx 3 than it is in divx5.

Also it seems as if divx3 has become slower ever since i installed divx 5 and replaced the decomb.dll file with the newer version.

Thanks, Robert

Comment

Working...