Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audi
    • Sep 2002

mistake

i realize that i used the vanilla sky sound for the game but can you notice any other problems

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

You have set GKnot to expect that 181203 KB will be used by you for external files, What are you using that for ?.

Other than that everything looks perfectly normal.

According to the log GKnot encodes the main movie at 1217 kbps, which means that we should expect the audio- and credits-less avi file name gameproj_movie.avi, to be something like 1.03 GB if the file does not hit maximum quality before that. Which I would not think unlikely at a resolution of only 576*416.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• audi
        • Sep 2002

yeah that movie came out to be about 1.03 gigs how do i get it to be 1400 megs

Comment

• audi
          • Sep 2002

also what do you mean i have set it to expect 181203 kb can you explain that a little more, it may be my problem

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by audi
            yeah that movie came out to be about 1.03 gigs how do i get it to be 1400 megs
            Thats just the movie without audio and endcredits. Adding audio and credits adds about 200 MB.
            The movie with audio and video should be located in gameproj.avi

also what do you mean i have set it to expect 181203 kb can you explain that a little more, it may be my problem
            That seem very likely. See attachment.
            The four boxes I have encircled, control how much data GKnot expect to use for everything except video.

The audio A and Audio B boxes account for the main and (optional) secondary audio tracks. The files box is for letting GKnot know that you need some extra space on the CDs for external files. I usually set them for 3-5 MB to account for external subtitles. But if you don't use anything like that, it should be set to 0. Finally there is the AVI overhead box, which control how much space to allow for AVI file overhead, which should be set to reflect your audio selection. So if you us a Single mp3 streams it should be set to 1x vbr MP3 audio.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by khp; 11 Nov 2002, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• audi
              • Sep 2002

thats weird cause with the audio and video together came out to 1.03gigs, also you set you audio rate to 448, normally i use 160? And one last thing i should have calcualte frame overhead un-checked right ?

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

thats weird cause with the audio and video together came out to 1.03gigs,
                Then you must have hit maximum quality.

also you set you audio rate to 448, normally i use 160?
                Never mind, I was just throwing around some numbers.

And one last thing i should have calcualte frame overhead un-checked right ?
                No, that should be kept checked. For an average movie, having a single vbr MP3 stream account for about 10-12 MB of overhead, which left unchecked will lead to oversized files if you don't hit the maximum possible quality.

Comment

• audi
                  • Sep 2002

but in the log file i sent you you said that i didnt reach maximum quality, and if i did hit maximum quality then wouldnt i be able to raise the audio rate alot and or raise the resolution in order to get a file size of 1400 megs

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

but in the log file i sent you you said that i didnt reach maximum quality, and if i did hit maximum quality then wouldnt i be able to raise the audio rate alot and or raise the resolution in order to get a file size of 1400 megs
                    It didn't hit but it was very very close. Maximum quality would probably be 5-10 MB lager. So maximum quality is holding you back.

The Divx5 encoder starts behaving a bit strangely near maximum quality, so if you aim slightly over maximum quality, it will come out slightly lower than maximum quality.
                    Last edited by khp; 11 Nov 2002, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• audi
                      • Sep 2002

so rasing the sound quality and or the resolution enough should give me a file size of 1400 megs right ?

Comment

• khp
                        The Other
                        • Nov 2001

so rasing the sound quality and or the resolution enough should give me a file size of 1400 megs right ?
                        Yes

Comment

• audi
                          • Sep 2002

didnt you say you were able to encode vanilla sky just fine. how did you do it cause that is one of the movies giving me trouble

Comment

• khp
                            The Other
                            • Nov 2001

didnt you say you were able to encode vanilla sky just fine. how did you do it cause that is one of the movies giving me trouble
                            I was using 704*400 and I think 160 kbps vbr mp3 audio, with a target filesize of 1295 MB (2*650 - 5) and it came out about 3 MB undersize. But I was using a PAL version, so you might get different results when using a NTSC version.

Comment

• audi
                              • Sep 2002

i used your resoltion 704 x 384 and the compressibility came out to .162 and 48.8 % is this bad ? and what do you normally to get

Comment

• khp
                                The Other
                                • Nov 2001

i used your resoltion 704 x 384 and the compressibility came out to .162 and 48.8 % is this bad ? and what do you normally to get
                                I have never put much faith in compressability test numbers, it's been my experience that the feature is a bit buggy. 0.16 bpp is a bit low, but vanilla sky does not contain much action, and with B-frames and GMC enabled it should be within resonable limits.

If I want to know how well a movie compresses I'll do a manual check using quality based encoding @ 100% in virtualdub.

Comment

Working...