DVDx 2.0 / why not? / newbie question....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorg
    • Nov 2002

DVDx 2.0 / why not? / newbie question....

Typical newbie-question:

I've read somewhere on this board that "experienced users" don't use DVDx...

Why is this?

I mean, it's kind of an all-in-one program, which is working well (at least on my system), seems quite fast, doesn't have a zillion options, and requires only a few button presses to get a complete DVD to divx, including subtitles.... No need for long guides, twenty programmes to download, (not to mention gigs of HD space...)

as far as quality concerned, I'm using the same DivX 5 codec I would use with other programmes, and it uses Lame for audio (which is a decent MP3-encoder). So I don't see the point!

So my DVD's convert to divx with quality which is mostly better than what I find on the net...

So, why seems DVDx 'not done' around here?

Or are you all "videophiles" for who quality should be nothing else than perfect? (like audiophiles who can spend $10000 on a home stereo.... )

Please, someone enlighten me

Regards, Jorg...
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

well, from my point of view other routines are NOT that complicated or impossible to handle as you might think.

once you get the hang of it, it's sort of a childs play to receive perfect output results.

gordianknot for example might look complicated at first, but that's why some people wrote guide on how to handle those 'zillions' of switches and parameters.
    take a look at my guide, if you like:

then there are tools like DVX, which is my one-and-only tool at the moment:

gordianknot as well as dvx are sort of guis which enable you to set all parameters and then have VIRTUALDUB do the conversion and besweet for example handle the sound.

reliability and above all hq-output quality is my number one reason to use these tools

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Or are you all "videophiles" for who quality should be nothing else than perfect? (like audiophiles who can spend $10000 on a home stereo.... )
      Ughh. Don't get started on that one. I, for one, will never understand why some people spend fortunes just for the sake of better sound. I wonder if they are even aware of the existence of the Law of Diminishing Return. For all I care, I have a Real Life (TM) and can't possibly (or ever) afford such extravagance.

Lastly, back on the topic, videophiles would never bother with DivX in the first place. DVDs would be their minimum standard for quality video source. We, fellow DivX encoders, are just trying to get maximum achievable quality in a given space constraint. Nothing complicated there.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I've read somewhere on this board that "experienced users" don't use DVDx..."

So, you've read ONE person's opinion...

If you read through the postings at these forums, you'll also read opinions that this or that program is either "better than", "worse than" another, or "great", or "crap".

Many use individual tools at all times, others only occasionally, for "fine tuning". Exploring and experimenting with individual tools can result in better understanding of the inner workings of video and audio.

Essentially, it comes down to whatever you find adequate for YOUR purposes. So, if DVDx satisfies your needs, don't concern yourself with the opininons of others. But, if the day comes that you find you MUST resort to a particular tool, be happy that someone saw the need to create it ;>}

Comment

Working...