Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garretwp
    • Dec 2002

restarting when encoding

Where should i start. i want to encode starwars 2 and i ripped it with streamripper. well before i get into the problem let me list my system i am running winxp with the lastest dvd2avi and vdub. well when i try to encode the vobs in dvd2avi or vdub my system restarts. well i found out winmgmt was not running and missing from my system so i reformated it for all hells sake and loaded a fresh copy of winxp on there. i have been having a lot of restart problems when encoding a vob file. well anyway i ripped matrix onto my computer to test it out before i go and do starwars 2. it worked fine. well i decided to load a few things onto the computer like gordianknot etc and try some things and i try to encode starwars 2 and my system restarts. i havent tried doing matrix again just to see if it didnt have any trouble. so i reverted my system back to the state where i took off the loaded programs i installed. now i am testing it out to se if it restarted. my question is, could it be a problem with gordian knot that it installed a codecs foe dvix 3 and 4 and i had 5 on there and reintalled it to get 5 back? and causes the system to crash? could it be the vob files ripped from streamripper causing the system to crash as they may be bad? any ideas? sorry if this post is confusing. i want to try and figure out why my computer restarts when i try to encode starwars or something else.

Garrett
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Random reboots are generally caused by unstable hardware, install the latest drivers for you motherboard and graphicscard.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• garretwp
      • Dec 2002

i have updated the bios for my computer and i have downloaded the latest graphics drivers for my geforce ti200 and after all that i get random reboots. never had the problem when i first built the pc. but sometimes my screen would shut off and come back on within a few seconds loading a program. i am going to see how the encoding goes after i reverted back to the last state before i install all this other software and see what happens. but not sure what could be causing the problems.

Garrett

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Try looking in the event viewer, if its a software error it should showup in the log.

Comment

• garretwp
          • Dec 2002

well before when i had a probelm with winmgmt saying it couldnt load etc and that was causing all my problems. now i redid the machine all is well. well now i get reboots and look in the event and says its an application error doesnt list anything at all.

Garrett

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by garretwp
            well now i get reboots and look in the event and says its an application error doesnt list anything at all.
            Please slowdown, your are not makeing the slightest bit of sense. The above sentence looks like it's a contraction of three seperate statements, two of which seem to contradict each other. I simply cannot make any sense of this.

If the application log shows an application error, double click on it to get a description, of the cause of the problem.

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Have you taken overheating into consideration? Check that the CPU heatsink is firmly seated in its place.

Comment

• garretwp
                • Dec 2002

Heating is not an issue, cpu is running aroung 40c at max load.

Garrett

Comment

• garretwp
                  • Dec 2002

well converting my vobs into divx in dvd2avi went ok, but when i wanted to join the audio and the movie and then resize it all using vdub. vdub comes up with a failure message. what could be wrong with all this. i am having so much problems with converting to divx and never had this problem before with the same machine. then after awhile i can not even encode a divx movie, system would restart. but i have reformated my drive. and still cant convert a dvd into a divx file. can it be that dvix 5 is causing all the problems? i just realized i used divx 4 for all my encodings. but my machine isnt crashing now, well so far its all good. but still cant convert using divx 5

Garrett
                  Last edited by garretwp; 7 Dec 2002, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

I'am pretty much convinced this is a hardware problem. Most likey caused by the CPU.

To test this you might try under clocking the CPU.

Comment

• garretwp
                      • Dec 2002

what i come to realize though is i have never had this problem before with divx 4. but with divx 5 i had this problem. now i am going to try and convert into divx 4 to see if i get this problem as well. ill let you know what happens.

Garrett

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

on the other hand divx5 runs fine for almost everyone else.

have you updated your mainboarddrivers?

i experienced random restart once - installing latest chipset drivers (via 4in1) solved my problem, which ONLY occured when playing back avi - encoding wasn't an issue, nor was anything else but playback.

Comment

• garretwp
                          • Dec 2002

i installed that but i still got random restarts during incoding. i messed with the bios and loaded the defualt settings and just changed some needed settings and i am testing out the encoding now on them. it could be that the bios settings were messed up and caused the system to run unstable but i will not know that untill i try my encoding of the movies. if all is well then that solves my problem and i can then go and upgrade the drivers etc and see how that goes. i want to do this one step at a time and see what happends. so far so good i hope. crossing my fingers.

Garrett

Comment

Working...