Clear All
  • Kevin AMD
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2002

DVD => DIVX some 2 problems

Hello,

I have some problems.

When I want to decode my DVD to DIVX everything works great and quality of the video is good but, the colors are a little dull if you compare with the original. And the sound is not that good to it can get better I am sure.

What did I do,

1- Rip the DVD with Smartripper.

2- Open files in DVD2AVI and compressed then with DIVX5.02PRO bitrate 6000 kbits.

3- Then processed the AC3 sound with some I think bad program that is not very good knows to Wave 44100 hz.

4- Then I opened Virtual Dub and used DIVX 5.02PRO 1200 kbits and coded the sound to MP3-192 kbits

But what do I do wrong to get the colours so dull (bad, less collorfull)

Wich program should I use (and is best) to procces A3C audio the some other format like MP3, WMA, or WAVE?

How do I get more beautiful collors?

And what can a change on the way I encode my files to get better (best) quality (possible)?

Greetings KEVIN AMD

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
    Let's all try to help each other
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

2- Open files in DVD2AVI and compressed then with DIVX5.02PRO bitrate 6000 kbits.
    Step (2) needs some revision. Instead of compressing to AVI, save the project to a D2V file instead. Using either Avisynth or vFAPI as a frameserver, you can open it in Virtualdub (follow up to step (4)).

It sounds like you did not do any crop & resize on the video as well, resulting in wasted bits and low bit/pixel value. Hence your videos looking less than desirable.

3- Then processed the AC3 sound with some I think bad program that is not very good knows to Wave 44100 hz.
    Whatever the program might be, it is a big NO NO to convert the sampling rate to 44.1KHz (unless you are creating a VCD). Use some better programs. Here's a quick run-through of what you can do:
    1. Rip audio to WAV using Graphedit/Vob2audio
    2. If you wish, you can amplify the volume of the audio using an audio editor, such as Cooledit
    3. Convert the WAV to MP3 using an mp3 encoder, such as LAME
    4. Mux the MP3, with the video you have created, using nandub (you previously mentioned that you know how to do this, so I won't bother explaining it to you...)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To enchanter

"Whatever the program might be, it is a big NO NO to convert the sampling rate to 44.1KHz (unless you are creating a VCD)."

The above is your full quote (NOT taken out of context).

It sure sounds like you're saying there is something terribly wrong with having a finalized .AVI with a 44,100Hz audiostream.

Be advised that the ONLY problem with using a 44,100Hz audio format (.MP3 or .WAV) is that some conversion programs don't maintain synch when doing this directly as part of the INITIAL conversion.

SUBSEQUENT conversion of a properly synched 48,000Hz audiostream to 44,100Hz (via VirtualDub/NanDub - as I'm sure you well know) results in a file that has lower overhead requirements for playback, while maintaining CD quality - and is smaller...

Just in case you show your usual proclivity toward sensitivity (despite the fact that this is not intended as a personal affront), feel free to "tell me why I'm wrong" in indicating that I believe this statement of yours is grossly misleading, if not downright silly ;>}

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

As I put it previously, there is NO point in converting a 48KHz sound to 44.1 KHz, unless you are creating a VCD (If you believe there is another specific reason, do tell us all so). In addition to that, the poster has specified that he is going for 192kbps MP3, which is most certainly not bandwith-limited and hence allowing the use of 48KHz sampling rate.

SUBSEQUENT conversion of a properly synched 48,000Hz audiostream to 44,100Hz (via VirtualDub/NanDub - as I'm sure you well know) results in a file that has lower overhead requirements for playback
        This is irrelevant with most current systems capable of playing 48KHz sounds without breaking a sweat...

And in case you are not aware, most consumer soundcards use the AC97 codecs (all SoundBlaster product lines, most, if not all, on-board sound chips, the Hercules product lines {Fortissimos, Hercules GTXP}, the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, the Videologic SonicFury, and many others). The AC97 codec is limited in that it upsamples ALL non-48KHz sounds coming through it to 48KHz. Hence, downsampling a 48KHz sound to 44.1KHz is "downright silly", when the soundcard is going to upsample it again, very likely resulting in upsampling artifacts during playback.

If you wish to continue this childish act of questioning every of my motives, feel free to PM me. Posting this publicly does not help anyone at all.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To enchanter

I guess, as opposed to the information posted here frequently, your world is limited to only high-end, "leading edge" machines.

I'd prefer to provide accurate and meaningful information to the universe of the posters at large - whether they're running 2+Gigahertz machines or 266s.

"If you wish to continue this childish act of questioning every of my motives, feel free to PM me. Posting this publicly does not help anyone at all."

Why the paranoia? Nothing in my post here questions your "motives" (Do you have some particular "motives"?). My posting here is intended to make certain that those to whom you offer your (in this instance) incorrect absolute statement, are not misinformed...

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I guess, as opposed to the information posted here frequently, your world is limited to only high-end, "leading edge" machines.
            Strange. My own P800 (SB Live) and P333 (SB 128) easily handle 48KHz sound. What is so high-end about that? Answer me.

Why the paranoia? Nothing in my post here questions your "motives" (Do you have some particular "motives"?). My posting here is intended to make certain that those to whom you offer your (in this instance) incorrect absolute statement, are not misinformed...
            If you are so certain about me being wrong, do PM me regarding the matter. Explain to me clearly where I'm possibly wrong and how it should be corrected. Saying that I'm wrong in this forum and hoping that I and anyone else will simply accept it is foolhardy. You have not provided much credible arguments here, so I'm suggesting you do it privately this time and not make a fool of yourself in the public.

I will reply no further posts from you in this thread, apart from those of the original posters. Do so using the PM system. It is there for you to use in the first place. The public forum is no such place for this kind of posting.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

I will reply no further posts from you in this thread
              and i will DELETE any further posting in this thread if it does not deal with the initial subject but private business instead!

let's get back to the problem folks.

Comment

• Kevin AMD
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2002

Dear,

I did that thing with the frameserver (fake avi files) and it works indeed quicker but the colors are not that good neither?

I open the fake avi in vitrual dub and convert it to 1250 kbit second pass.

Do I have to change some settings then to get best colors, or what do I do wrong?

About the sound, it is best to keep the sound on 48 khz then I guess, since size is not very important for me. So convert it to WAVE 48 Khz and then to MP3 48 Khz for example.

Thanks for the other help!

Kevin AMD

Comment

• Kevin AMD
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2002

I did some things but I still have problems with the colors

I now did

DVD2AVI => DINO.d2v

Open DINO.d2v in vFAPI

Open in virtual dub and save to uncompressed format!

So how do i get these kind of dull colors then?

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

click on my upper anigif and compare the routine to what you did

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

This is inefficient. You should just do the conversion in 2-pass mode ==> 2-pass (first-pass), followed by 2-pass (second pass). Don't forget to specify the LOG file prior to starting the first pass. In addition to that, it seems to me you still have not performed any crop & resize...

I suggest that you use GordianKnot instead, since you are still learning on these things and the program will simplify a lot of things for you.

About the sound, it is best to keep the sound on 48 khz then I guess, since size is not very important for me. So convert it to WAVE 48 Khz and then to MP3 48 Khz for example.
                      Yes. As you would have read in my previous posts, there is no point (especially in your case) to convert the sampling rate.

Comment

• Kevin AMD
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Dec 2002

quote:
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is inefficient. You should just do the conversion in 2-pass mode ==> 2-pass (first-pass), followed by 2-pass (second pass). Don't forget to specify the LOG file prior to starting the first pass. In addition to that, it seems to me you still have not performed any crop & resize...

I suggest that you use GordianKnot instead, since you are still learning on these things and the program will simplify a lot of things for you.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I did use 2pass in virtual dub.

And I used the rezise 2:1 reduction (high quality) filter in virtual dub if that is what you mean with resize so the size is 360X288 instead of DVD 760X576.
                        (Maby it is better to use the rezise options from the codec itself?)

But cropping is not nesessairy(?) because there are no black bars and hole the picture is used.

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

your final output size is way to small if you ask me.

and the codec resize-routine is the last thing i'd take into consideration!

why dont you take a look at any given guide on divx5 and gordianknot for example??

Comment

• Enchanter
                            Old member
                            • Feb 2002

And I used the rezise 2:1 reduction (high quality) filter in virtual dub if that is what you mean with resize so the size is 360X288 instead of DVD 760X576.
                            Use the Resize filter that comes along with VD. In your case, use Bicubic or Precise Bicubic. I would have recommended using Lanczos resizer, but it does not look like you are ready for any AVS script editing yet.

Yes I did use 2pass in virtual dub.
                            DVD2AVI => DINO.d2v

Open DINO.d2v in vFAPI

Don't you think these two statements contradict with each others? Which did you actually do?

Comment

• Kevin AMD
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Dec 2002

Forget about the uncompressed avi I don't do it anymore

About the rezise filter in Vdub:

What should be the perfect resolution of the movie be then?
                              (Original DVD file is 760x576)

Bicubic or Precise Bicubic I guess Precice Bicubic is better?

And what about:

Precise Bicubic (A=-0.60)
                              Precise Bicubic (A=-0.75)
                              Precise Bicubic (A=-1.00)

What are the differences and wich is the best one?

(I'll down Lanczos resizer to so I'll see if it's hard for me or not.)

Comment

Working...