X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Batman
    You should offer us details on your precise encoding procedures, and define what your "quality problem" is.
    Quality has always been a subjective issue and what is gold to one may be pure crap to another. I am no excellent judge on quality, but I am really good at catching video artifacts (mosquito noise, blocks, picure warming, shits, etc.). Hence I judge the picture quality by how much "crap" there is on the video. If there is too much for me to comfortably stand, I redo the encoding and tweak the parameters so as to soften the video. It's as simple as that.

Comment

• HDRed
      • Dec 2002

Enchanter thanks a bunch for the walkthrough - i obviously have questions.

What plugins are those? I see the filenames but just to make sure are they called anything special other than the actual filename?

How do you yield values to put into an avs script in Gordian Knot? Firstly, what is an .avs script? I had no idea you could manually tell the program what stuff to do to a video and even what size / crop it will do! That's so cool!

Is the script template just that text saved in notepad or something and placed in the appropriate directory? I'm really lost and I know these are stupid questions but thanks for clearing them up.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What plugins are those? I see the filenames but just to make sure are they called anything special other than the actual filename?
        mpeg2dec.dll allows you to load up and work with MPEG-2 files (in this case D2V files), ie. mpeg2source("D2V file location")

decomb.dll allows you to deinterlace interlaced materials. The Telecide() and Decimate (cycle=5) commands work as parts of the plug-in, and they achieve what you would no doubt have heard as Inverse Telecine.

lanczos3.dll allows you to use the Lanczos Resizer, which is a newer type of resizer (you can also substitute it with the more well-known BicubicResizer, if you wish). Avisynth version 2.06 should come with the Lanczos plug-in built-in (so there is no need for you to manually load the plug-in).

Convolution3D.dll allows you to use the Convolution3D algorithm, which combines temporal and spatial smoother under one function. There are presets included in the readme (included in the package), so you don't need to crack your head on what values to use.

The rest of the plug-ins I picked from Donald Graft's site and I'm still playing around with them. You can get the documentations from his site and decide whether you need them or not.

Firstly, what is an .avs script?
        It's simply a TXT file renamed to AVS. You open the AVS (aka TXT) file in a text editor, such as Notepad, and input the lines in a similar fashion as I outlined previously.

Once you have input all values into the AVS script, you can load it up into Virtual/nandub, and you'll discover that there is no longer any need to use Virtualdub's filters (since the same task can be achieved by simply loading up the appropriate plug-in and inputting the parameters into the script). I admit that it is a rather hard task to determine what some of the values should be, but practice makes perfect.

Have I cleared some stuff for you? Or did I actualy confuse you even further?

Edit:
        In addition, you need to install Avisynth into your system before it will recognise AVS script files and know what to do with the command lines in them. Think of Avisynth as a frameserver.

Edit 2:
        Linkies:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/ (Avisynth Installers -> note that I'm using the older 2.05. There is a newer 2.5 Beta available, but I never trust Beta products...)
        http://shelob.mordor.net/dgraft/ (Donald Graft's site -> collection of great Virtualdub filters and some of the best Avisynth plug-ins)
        http://hellninjacommando.com/con3d/ (link for Convolution3D)
        Last edited by Enchanter; 3 Jan 2003, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• HDRed
          • Dec 2002

Ok Enchanter, give me about an hour to comprehend what you just said.........

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Take your time. It's better to do it slowly and in the end understand it, rather than too quickly and having to re-read the whole thing.

Comment

• Padman
              • Jan 2003

Comment

Thanks to UncasMS for making this thread civil and to Enchater for making it informative.

Thanks to you guys.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Always glad to share.

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

Hey Enchanter bro, how r ya? long time no chat

ok, back to the business:

hehe...not saying it's great, but had alot of ppl thanking me and saying it was great, but really, all thanks goes to UnCASMS! and, hmm....who was that guy that told me...er...um....o yeh: Enchanter

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

advertising a guide that uses an out-of date ripper (sr 2.36) and even worse for which on should PAY to be able to view the final but most important part is NOT what we want here.

***Donating and Downloading this tutorial....***

sorry mate.

link to complete and free pages but dont advertise this guide on these pages again or you wil be banned and ANY FUTURE LINKS TO THAT SITE WILL BE BLOCKED!

Comment

• zie
                      • Apr 2002

A guide was exactly what I wanted when I started with electronics and computer modding (As you have with encoding). As I got more and more familiar with modding and the forum I was discussion it on I wanted to help people getting started. I also wanted to spare "my" forum from these idiotic questions about LEDs and resistorns that popped out every day. That was when I began my FAQ or as it is now a little place of information and useful links.

Just stay on the forum, ASK questions and find someone to help you make a guide. Start with the basics and by time your guide (if you take the time) will grow.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...