Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pago cruiser
    • May 2002

much larger than expected avi size problem

I'm using Gordian knot 0.26.0.6, with DivX Pro 5.02. I've ripped about 30 DVD's to DivX, using 2 pass, 128 MP3 with good results so far. HOWEVER, lately I have been getting final AVI sizes of around 850MB, even with selecting the final product to be 1 CD (using both 695 and 700 mb as a default value - no diff). This now happens on about 1 movie out of three; I can find no reason, and its driving me crazy...

Example: "Eight Legged Freaks" - NTSC, 16:9, 29.97, film, progressive, 94%. Selected "forced film" when creating file. Selected 512x288 reso, 0.19 B/P-F, 42.5% compression of 0.449.

From the GKnot calc log:
    Options:
    CreditStart 137833

Calculator:
    VideoSize: 612421, Audio1Size, 93125, Overhead 11253, AVI Size 716800, bitrate 842, frames 178621, resolution 512 x 288.

After transcoding audio, MP3 file size is 85262. New movie bitrate 853.

After DivX 5 First pass:
    Encoded 137832
    Warning: Number of counted frames differs from settings
    Settings: 178621
    Counted 137832
    Difference 40789
    New Bitrate 1109

Started 2nd pass (note that the log indicates "DivX4 Second Pass - I dunno why)
    The second pass finishes fine, then muxing audio completes without problems.

The Final AVI file size is 847516!!!

This has now happened on about 5 DVD's and the resulting file sizes are ALWAYS between 845000 and 855000. Other DVD's turn out flawless... Any clues appreciated...

The entire .log file is attached if it is of any help
    Attached Files
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

a difference of: 40789 frames compared to the 178621 means some 22%

22% of 700mb means some 140mb => 840 mb

the credits seem to be handled incorrectly

did you try re-installing gk?
    Last edited by UncasMS; 9 Jan 2003, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• pago cruiser
      • May 2002

Hmm, not yet; but I guess I will tonight. I run two machines (Shuttle SFF SV25's, with P3's (1.0 and 1.4 MHZ)), and the problem started almost simultaneously on each. So I mentally ruled out a system/software failure; after all, what are the odds of TWO indentical failures happening simultaneously on independent hardware? But hey, if my beliefs don't fit the reality, I guess I'll change my beliefs...

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Looks like you set GordianKnot to calculate the bitrate as if it's a 29.97 fps movie, but you used force film so it's really 23.976.

What happens is that after the first pass GKnot checks the number of frames in the first pass logfile. Because of the lower frame rate, the number of frames is lower than GordianKnot expected, gordianknot will assume that this is because the movie was shorter than expected and raise the bitrate accordingly.
        Last edited by khp; 9 Jan 2003, 07:20 PM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• pago cruiser
          • May 2002

When I do the DVD2AVI file, OPTION, PREVIEW, the result was 29.97, Film, 94%. Almost always (for me anyhow, NTSC, Region 1), when a movie reaches 90%, the percentage continuous to increase - so when it reaches close to 95% I assume it's close enough?

I'm using Force Film based upon the guide (doom9 if I remember correctly, but I'm at work now) indicating the if a movie is 29.97 and film is at least 95%, use Force Film.

This reminds me of an observation. Sometimes after I have saved the D2V file, the frame rate (indicated in the statistics box) has changed from the initial 29.97 to 23.976... I assumed it was just a buggy stat... But maybe this is a clue to the problem?

So last night I re-installed Gnot and the DivX 5.02 Pro, and ripped/Divxxed "Falling Down" (Michael Douglas, 16:9, 29.97, Film 99%). Selected 1 CD, all the usual stuff. Final AVI file size 834094!! Unfortunately I don't remember if the frame rate changed after I saved the D2V file, but I'll sure check next time...

A copy of the Gnot log is attached if any sleuths can shed any more light.

I also ripped 2001 A Space Travesty (4:3, 29.97, NTSC, Interlaced). This one turned out perfect.

I like puzzles as much as the next guy, but I'm getting tired of this...
          Attached Files

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

I'am sorry did you even read my previous message, if you use forcefilm in DVD2AVI, or do IVTC in GordianKnot you need to select 23.976 fps in GordianKnot. See attached image.

Originally posted by pago cruiser
            This reminds me of an observation. Sometimes after I have saved the D2V file, the frame rate (indicated in the statistics box) has changed from the initial 29.97 to 23.976... I assumed it was just a buggy stat... But maybe this is a clue to the problem?
            When ForceFilm is selected it will display 23.976 fps otherwise it will display 29.97 fps.
            Attached Files
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• pago cruiser
              • May 2002

Ah, thank you for the clarification, my apologies. I missed that in your earlier post; as well as in the guides, apparantly. So when I select Force Film with a 29.97 FPS movie, it changes the frame rate to 23.976; so I therefore use 23.976 in selecting my data for encoding. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks again... I hope this works...

Comment

Working...