Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keckster
    • Jan 2003

need help getting avi file size close to target

Is it just me that's having this problem? When I choose 650m/1 cd, the finished avi is more like 630, when I choose 695m/1 cd, finished avi is 720, third try went for 2 cds at 695 and finished avi was 1405, just barely over two cd's.

Is is possible to reduce the size by a few megabytes? Are any solutions to getting more reliable results?

Thanks
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

since you dont provide us with any info on HOW you go about, what are we supposed to suggest?

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

Well, what UncasMS said would help too.....if u told us how u done the encoding, what method u used etc...

But, just an early suggestion, if u haven't done so, cut out the credits to REDUCE the size...other than that, can't suggest anything until you tell us how you went about doing this procedure

Comment

• keckster
        • Jan 2003

using gnot, divx 5, and virtual dub

thanks

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

getting undersized files can sometimes happen even for one cd rips when the movie is very dark and not containing many action scenes.

panic room or the others are such titles.

oversized output size has never occured to me.

what settings did you use?

divx5, gk, vd leave many options.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

UncasMS, please correct me if I am wrong, this is what I think, but of course can be wrong....

When you specify a file size, eg 650MB, it will try to match it round about to that file size/use as much appropriate bitrate needed in order to be less of that file size you specified.

But if you specify a larger file size, it may not be a "good" one since it needs to use the bitrate and finish it off, what I mean by finishing off is that, imagine a piece of paper with figures written down, when you pass a figure, line by line, u score it off, hence it will try to complete the piece of paper with bitrate information so that could be why it goes larger/less than the specified file size.

But hey, I could be wrong, this is what I think but would much rather read the proper theory

Just as u hit submit uncasms, I hit submit to, so didn't know u were going to reply!

And also, like UncasMS was saying, some scenes need more bitrate than others, because of the motion in the frame/scene
            Last edited by techno; 3 Feb 2003, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• keckster
              • Jan 2003

I followed the dvd backup guide, to the tee as far as I know. Used all the default setting. Used 1x vbr mp3 128kb/s, trimmed the credits, used sharp bicubic.

Comment

• GalFisk
                • Feb 2003

If movies I make gets a little too large, I just reencode the credits with 1-pass at a lower bitrate. Seems you can run them at about 500kbps with almost no visible quality loss. And it only takes five minutes.

Comment

• keckster
                  • Jan 2003

Thanks for the info everyone. Some insightfull stuff.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by techno

When you specify a file size, eg 650MB, it will try to match it round about to that file size/use as much appropriate bitrate needed in order to be less of that file size you specified.
                    Not necessarily.

Even more so when the given video stream has reached maximum quality, where it does not require any more bits than it already has.

Originally posted by techno

But if you specify a larger file size, it may not be a "good" one since it needs to use the bitrate and finish it off,
                    See my response above.

Comment

• keckster
                      • Jan 2003

not that anyone may care, but just for the sake of argument, I chose 2 cd's at 650m this time and it came out to just under 1.4g, which is great for 2 cd's. It just took me FOUR tries! :?
                      oh well

Comment

• techno
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2001

Thanks Enchanter - that is what I meant lol but having a bad english day!

Thank-you for correcting and keeping us on the right track

Comment

Working...